The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   tailgate crack (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=268147)

lapranch 11-27-2007 07:13 PM

tailgate crack

2 Attachment(s)
have a crack on top of my jimmy tailgate. I thought it was unique to my truck.but I've now noticed the same crack on many other blazers/jimmys that i've come across.
just wondering if anyone knows what causes this.

tvblazer78 11-27-2007 07:31 PM

Re: tailgate crack

I have the same thing on mine, I am fixing this as we speak. The only thing that I can think of is closing it hard. I would think that would do it. I am putting new rubber on the gate and hope this will help too.

Zoomad75 11-28-2007 07:01 PM

Ditto for mine. Cracks on both sides. I'd have to agree that it's from slamming it shut. I've got a absolutely cherry tailgate (no cracks, no rust at all!)to replace mine though. I'm going to take my time to adjust it and get it to shut without excessive force.

lapranch 11-28-2007 07:27 PM

thanks for the replys. Other than the crack my tailgate is still pretty cherry.
so I'll probably weld up the crack when I get around to it.

wildmanaaron 11-28-2007 10:07 PM

Mine did it too. I agree that it has to be from the top and the pressure that is pushed towards that area. I had my whole tailgate sandblasted to see how rusty it was and I am quite pleased with how it turned out.

tobiahr 11-29-2007 01:02 PM

the crack is caused because the tailgate has play in it when closed that the glass does not. years of flexing cracks the sides of the window channel on the tailgate. to see what i'm talking about look at how much movement the tailgate has when latched with the rear glass down and how little it has with the rear glass up. the only good fix i've seen was putting very firm weather strip and adjusting the latches so the tailgate wont move when closed. there is also a spot welded brace inside some newer model tailgates.

hiway 11-29-2007 01:59 PM

Good read. New to the Jimmy and mine has the same crack. 1984 model. Any way to make the window roll up faster? New motor says the previous owner.

Zoomad75 11-30-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiway (Post 2466057)
Good read. New to the Jimmy and mine has the same crack. 1984 model. Any way to make the window roll up faster? New motor says the previous owner.

Grease! Take the access panel off and grease the snot out of the tracks/rollers on the regulator. It don't hurt to hit the rest of the moving parts of the regulator with some too.

While your there, check out the condition/shape of your rollers. If the tracks were bone dry, if not rusty chances are your rollers arent round anymore. You can get new rollers from LMC or your local Chevy dealer. Just have them look it up for a 91 Blazer or suburban. Drill out the old rivits, install the new rollers by peening down the ends of the roller shafts to the regulator arms. It's an easy job.

wazzabie 07-20-2020 03:59 PM

has any one welded this and later have the crack reappear?