The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cutting springs???? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=626921)

WATSON403 04-28-2014 11:10 PM

Cutting springs????

So I know that you can cut the front springs and I've heard that some people have cut the rear but some people say that you can't because of the "beehive" shape just wanna get some input on the subject and I don't need everyone to tell me to buy some drop springs and jeep rear springs are out of the question cause I'd like to haul something if I need to also don't wanna hear about heating just cutting thanks

AcampoDave 04-28-2014 11:46 PM

Re: Cutting springs????

2 Attachment(s)
I say don't do it. If you cut them there is no way to secure the top of the spring to the frame. And you said you want to haul loads with it...seems risky to me, if something shifted sideways and caused the frame to slide off of the spring top you'd be looking at some expensive damage to a lot of parts that are getting harder and more expensive to find. Not to mention your personal safety. Get or make some axle blocks. Vedors here can hook you up with blocks and U bolts for a very reasonable price. Blocks will eliminate the need for geometry changes with regard to shocks and the panhard bar. 1.5 inches is very do-able with a reasonable tire profile. This truck is pictured on these 1" blocks and if you look at the block you'll see where I later added another 3/8" by making some "shims" to go with the block.

WATSON403 04-29-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 6651153)
I say don't do it. If you cut them there is no way to secure the top of the spring to the frame. And you said you want to haul loads with it...seems risky to me, if something shifted sideways and caused the frame to slide off of the spring top you'd be looking at some expensive damage to a lot of parts that are getting harder and more expensive to find. Not to mention your personal safety. Get or make some axle blocks. Vedors here can hook you up with blocks and U bolts for a very reasonable price. Blocks will eliminate the need for geometry changes with regard to shocks and the panhard bar. 1.5 inches is very do-able with a reasonable tire profile. This truck is pictured on these 1" blocks and if you look at the block you'll see where I later added another 3/8" by making some "shims" to go with the block.

Ya man I was thinking about blocks do you have any idea the max you can go with blocks?

AcampoDave 04-29-2014 12:30 AM

Depends on wheel diameter, but I pesonally don't want my suspension to be closer to the ground than my rim. You can imagine how that could get ugly real fast with a blowout.

WATSON403 04-29-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 6651234)
Depends on wheel diameter, but I pesonally don't want my suspension to be closer to the ground than my rim. You can imagine how that could get ugly real fast with a blowout.

Ya for sure I've never even thought of that before I'm putting 16"s on so I guess we'll see

19666Trucker 04-29-2014 01:18 AM

I got all four springs, two inch blocks in the back the back springs are just cut at the pig tail it is daily the panhard bar keeps the axle shifting. Handle great on the freeway. If my spring does come lose my bumps aren't faraway plus being c20 I got extra springs too. It is what you feel safe.

tincan1966 04-29-2014 08:34 AM

I used to be a nay-sayer on the cutting rear coils, BUT I decided to experiment since I had not real experience. I cut one complete coil off the bottom of the rear spring. Mine are secured at the top. As mentioned, the panhard bard keeps things from shifting side to side.
I am impressed with the ride and can still haul engines, and use it daily as a shop truck.

I must admit, I pre-judged this modification. I actually like it.

WATSON403 06-20-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tincan1966 (Post 6651463)
I used to be a nay-sayer on the cutting rear coils, BUT I decided to experiment since I had not real experience. I cut one complete coil off the bottom of the rear spring. Mine are secured at the top. As mentioned, the panhard bard keeps things from shifting side to side.
I am impressed with the ride and can still haul engines, and use it daily as a shop truck.

I must admit, I pre-judged this modification. I actually like it.

So what kind of drop did you get from cutting the one coil