The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Should I cut this truck ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812224)

stomper 09-22-2020 07:05 PM

Re: Should I cut this truck ?

My initial opinion is YES! ABSOLUTELY! BUT.... now that I see the tool box and leaf rear, that changes my mind. Leave it. A shortened truck should be on bags or at least a static drop and on a leaf rear, bags are just not possible. Also, shortening the bedsides gets sketch with the tool box.

LEAVE IT.

lolife99 09-22-2020 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
metaloxfab on Instagram is one of the best at shortening bedsides.
Even the ones with tool box doors,...

stomper 09-22-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8812159)
metaloxfab on Instagram is one of the best at shortening bedsides.
Even the ones with tool box doors,...

OK now that's pretty cool.

lolife99 09-22-2020 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stomper (Post 8812160)
OK now that's pretty cool.

And no seams in the shortened door,...

Killer Bee 09-22-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyland (Post 8811143)
..?

if you have to ask.....

jocko 09-22-2020 08:48 PM

You can't shorten it, your SPID would then be incorrect! ;)
Do what you'd like Eric, that's the only real answer - and you can't go wrong. And I do understand the draw - but you already know which side of the fence I fall on :)

best view 09-22-2020 09:52 PM

I would make a k20 out of it add some cab lights and call it done

Joesjunk 09-22-2020 10:06 PM

Leave it as it is!

57taskforce 09-22-2020 10:23 PM

That’s definitely nice work shortening those bed sides. I don’t think I’d have the balls to cut up an extremely hard to find rust free tool box door like that. Mine is rust free as well and I haven’t seen another one in similar condition over the last several years. That said it is pretty cool that they were able to keep the tool box on it. Doesn’t change my opinion though. I still wouldn’t shorten Chevylands black super.

special-K 09-23-2020 07:58 AM

I don't see the tool & stowage compartment as a factor. Pull the bed and put on a shortbed, used or new from parts. I'd be fine with leaving it long, but I opened my mind to him shortening once I saw the frame has already been altered with a c-notch. And as far as lowering goes, it's axle flip ready for that. You all have to remember, this man has variety already, and it looks like he's considering expanding to have a ride to fit in with his truck buddies he hangs with. Considering all the elements I can see where this contemplation is coming from. Remember, this is a "like 'em stock" guy. Nothing wrong with expanding that to "like 'em all" or "one of each".

KQQL IT 09-23-2020 11:40 AM

Cut it.
A cut down longbed is more desirable than a longbed.

A purist may disagree.

But the market says otherwise.

sick472 09-23-2020 01:46 PM

A short bed catches my eye when I see them. They are more rare because they could not be worked as much and farmers and such wanted trucks to haul things...BUT I can not condone cutting that one down! Frame damage ,as mentioned, no bed or rotted out bed, a bunch of franken parts...make a short bed, but don't take a long bed's life. At least go find a short box and sell the long one.

It's your truck, honestly, do what pleases you!

CG 09-23-2020 01:53 PM

Its your truck do what you want. I would have zero trouble cutting it if I wanted a short bed and thats what I had to work with. Like you said the stigma of selling a cut down long bed seems to have waned when it comes to someone buying one. Maybe not some of these guys on the board, but generally =)

Grumpy old man 09-23-2020 02:55 PM

Chop it , And by doing that it makes the "REAL" short beds worth more . It's only made it almost 50 years without someone hacking away at it . You may as well drop it on the ground with air bags and raise the bed floor and throw an LS in it at the same time with a few computers to make it run and don't forget to add all the high $ stereo equipment into the newly chopped dash . Don't forget at least 4 cup holders and enough Led lights that it can be seen from the space shuttle and after all that $ dumped into it leave the "patina paint" :lol:

It's your truck do whatever makes you happy with it . :smoke:

Killer Bee 09-23-2020 03:00 PM

I don't always agree with Grumpy - but when I do, it's posts like that! :lol:

Boog 09-23-2020 03:48 PM

With it's C notch it's already been "hacked" so it was well on it's way to being lowered and what ever else anyway. It was violated! :lol:

BLT-NT-BOT 09-23-2020 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 8811177)
Cut it.
Who's ever stretched one?

I have!

Boog 09-23-2020 05:45 PM

Nice.

KQQL IT 09-23-2020 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BLT-NT-BOT (Post 8812574)
I have!

My dad did too. Always think its a unicorn

72c20customcamper 09-23-2020 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Cut it.

Friend of mine has and put a Duromax in it

Bones72Super 09-23-2020 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Cut it.

This guy did !

cornerstone 09-23-2020 10:56 PM

It seems to me like it would be a great candidate for a new No Limit or Roadster Shop chassis, either long or short! Get it down in the weeds and do it right if the $$$ is not a concern.;)

special-K 09-24-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8812500)
Chop it , And by doing that it makes the "REAL" short beds worth more ...

...It's only made it almost 50 years without someone hacking away at it . You may as well drop it on the ground with air bags and raise the bed floor and throw an LS in it at the same time with a few computers to make it run and don't forget to add all the high $ stereo equipment in...

I know you were being funny, but your first statement is not necessarily true. In fact, it can be proven wrong. Many cut down trucks have sold for more than many originals. It seems as time goes by, original means less and less to more and more. Not me, and I don't care anyway. I buy trucks to spend money, not make money. For those who care about the value of their trucks, cutting a longbed down doesn't increase the value of an original shortbed any more than leaving the truck as a longbed.

As far as all that other jabber... You feelin' alright? :lol:

Sim6 09-25-2020 05:21 PM

Quote:

Cut it.

:lol: true story!!!

chewychevy67 09-25-2020 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8812163)
And no seams in the shortened door,...

I wonder how he shortened the fiberglass insert? That's the stump I'm having with mine