The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   I bought a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336406)

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 07:39 PM

I bought a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
...and it comes with an attached house! :metal:

Yes, I did cover up the address info. It's one thing for people to randomly find it, it's a whole 'nother thing to tell the world where my truck is hiding!

BillGent 03-30-2009 07:42 PM

Re: I bought a garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coolness.. Congrats. Nice house!

PanelDeland 03-30-2009 07:44 PM

Redneck,congratulations!!! Looks like a nice place.Hope you enjoy living there,looks like plenty of room to park more trucks ;)

Liz 03-30-2009 08:00 PM

congrats :) now your really gonna be whining bout no toy money :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 08:02 PM

Thanks fellas (EDIT: and liz, you snuck in on my while typing!)! Here was my thread from back in October on how much it sucks to find a house.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=house+hunting

It's in a very nice, VERY QUIET neighborhood. It's on one of those "Circle Roads" so the only traffic on the road is the people who live there. It's NOT in an HOA. Each house in the "hood" has 0.5-1+ acres.

I wanted to wait to post until we had stuff "finalized." We wrote the contract almost a month ago. I got word from the bank today that we should be good to go on our loan. We are getting a 90/10 loan with no PMI, the bank pays their closing costs (so I bought some points because the seller is paying up to 3% closing) so once we're done we'll only owe our down payment plus about a grand. Our APR is only 4.6%. With payments, insurance, and taxes this place will only be $50 more per month than our apartment!!!

We close at the end of April.

For those who know I lost my job, don't be worried for me. One thing I've never been accused of is being stupid with money. My wife's job is very secure and she makes a lot of money. We'll still have over $1,000/month left over after ALL bills from just her paycheck. Also, she'll be FOUR MILES from her job and we're just minutes from a busy road that has all the big chain stores/restaurants, etc, so that will be big gas savings. For me to find a job, we're 20 minutes from downtown Greenville, 30 mins from Spartanburg, and 20 minutes from my old job (if they ever take me back.)

After we move in I get to apply for our big fat gob'ment check ($8,000!!!!) so I can get started on my new shop... next year...

Also, we've got exactly 1.0 acres. The house itself is a little over 2,000 sf and is about 10 years old. My honey do list just grew exponentially!

Sillyoldman 03-30-2009 08:04 PM

Wow congrats! Nice place on what appears to be a nice hunk on ground. If you need help moving PM me. I will sympathise with you until you understand that I'm not coming.

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 08:07 PM

Yeah, the house thing is one of the reason's I've had no toy money (that and no job :lol: ) We had to work hard to come up with 10% down with me being laid off since November. It paid off and I didn't have to sell any toys :D

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sillyoldman (Post 3228985)
Wow congrats! Nice place on what appears to be a nice hunk on ground. If you need help moving PM me. I will sympathise with you until you understand that I'm not coming.

:lol:

My storage unit will be the easy part... we currently live on a THIRD FLOOR apartment... :rolleyes:

Sillyoldman 03-30-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 3228993)
:lol:

My storage unit will be the easy part... we currently live on a THIRD FLOOR apartment... :rolleyes:

I recall the post with the busted into car. You wanted out and there you are in a nice new home. Stairs suck, but at least you know that with each item taken out your closer to no climbing them again.

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 08:14 PM

Stairs are actually good for you. My dogs have to be walked 3 times a day. MUCH better than a stair master :haha:

I think we were in negotiations with the seller when that happened and I kept praying they would come down to the price we wanted to pay so we could get the heck out of this place. I still unhook the HEI in my truck after I drive it. They didn't come down to what I wanted, but they came close and threw in 3% closing costs instead, so I was happy.

72BlckButy 03-30-2009 08:24 PM

Congrats on the recent purchase, it looks like a great place!

We do however need more pics. And just think.... now you get to pack! :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also got creative with CAD. I came up with a bunch of scenarios for a garage/shop, but I think I like this one the best. I can't build to the left of the house because of the septic system/leech bed, building setbacks, AND there is also a power line easement on that side as well. The rear is too sloped and would be a pain to get to.

A low pitched roof should just squeeze under the existing roof (the red hatched area will be the new 24x30 garage). I'll leave the existing garage alone so my wife can park her stuff in there and leave the wall to separate the "man part" of the garage.

My property lines are red, the blue are the Greenville County building setbacks.

The pool is a piece of crap and is already taken apart (I think the liner was bad.)

sjarrett71 03-30-2009 08:35 PM

Beautiful house!

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone. Y'all have no idea how hard it was to keep from posting this earlier :lol: I just wanted to be sure everything was good. There's always the chance it could fall through, but I highly doubt it.

The garage is small, I'll have to double check when we move in, but I believe it's only 22L x 24W. Wide enough to get the 67 in there and store some tools/parts.

I don't have any pics, but here's a close up one the seller took. The outside of the house is VERY dirty. It needs a good pressure washing. Good thing I have a close uncle who owns a pressure washing business :D

El Jay 03-30-2009 08:48 PM

Congratulations.

The best thing about owning a house is you always have something to do with your spare time and your spare money.

joe231 03-30-2009 09:58 PM

:cong:

i was curious about this

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 3228981)

After we move in I get to apply for our big fat gob'ment check ($8,000!!!!) so I can get started on my new shop... next year...

gcburdic 03-30-2009 10:42 PM

Jesse,

Congrats on your 1st house purchase!!!...You picked an excellent market to do your shoppin'....this reminds me....gotta get mine refi soon!!!....:metal:
I love that you have alright begun planning the garage before you're even in there!!!:lol: hopefully the wifey understands the garage thing and your space vs her space....I personally only have a 2 car garage, well one car and my truck!!!:lol: I hope to one day find that piece of property to build a great garage...and of course a nice house too....
Good luck on your continued job search, studying for that PE and getting ready for the move....Let me know if I can help....
OH and be sure to carry your wife across the threshold right after you get the keys at closing!!!:sumo:

Richard8971 03-30-2009 11:03 PM

Hey congrats Jesse. Keep us posted! How does the wifey like it?

D

67ChevyRedneck 03-30-2009 11:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The wife is almost too excited. She loves the big back yard, all of the trees, the entire downstairs has real hardwood EXCEPT the living room, and she really loves how close all of the stores are and that she's only 4 miles from work... YET we get a "little piece" of quiet country livin'. Not real country, but wanna be county.

Thanks Geoff!

Yeah, She's the main reason we can even get a place and I probably will carry her up the steps :D What blows my mind is that WITH taxes and insurance our payment is only ~$50 more than our apartment + storage unit.

My pops has already told me he'll take time off to come help with the garage. My dad and I have built quite a few homes/garages for family members over the years. Doing it ourselves, and using the existing garage as one of the walls, should get me a really cheap garage. The house's roof is also nearing it's life cycle (down to probably 3-5 years left) and I'll be replacing that myself as well (done a lot of roof jobs over the years too.) I am a little scared of how steep that garage roof is!

I've attached a pic of my dads garage he finally built, it's almost done. The pic is old, the roof is done with an overhang, the carport is done, and the doors are on now. Winter sneaked up on him last year. I've also attached pics of a deck I helped my uncle with. His deck was a ***** to do too, because we had to go around that stupid bay window. The foundation follows the bay window as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3229479)
:cong:

i was curious about this

Quote:

A tax credit of up to $8,000 is now available for qualified first-time home buyers purchasing a principal residence on or after January 1, 2009 and before December 1, 2009. Unlike the tax credit enacted in 2008, the new credit does not have to be repaid.
I've read from many sources that you can ammend your 2008 tax return (if you've already gotten it like I have) and get it this year.

Sub-versive 03-30-2009 11:16 PM

Awesome! Congratulations! :metal:

88JRFAN 03-30-2009 11:20 PM

Congratulation on the new house. It is a great feeling when you have a place of your own that is worth putting your money into. Just like our trucks, it is something you feel good about. Enjoy and good luck, it is a great feeling.

Longhorn321 03-30-2009 11:37 PM

Outstanding!! I am so happy for you and your wife. I know you will be thrilled to cook your first meal there and toast each other with a glass of vino...or something!

El Jay, I believe I remember a thread here while back and correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one who said "What is this spare money you speak of?" or something like that? The same can be said for spare time.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Jay (Post 3229326)
Congratulations.

The best thing about owning a house is you always have something to do with your spare time and your spare money.

Don't worry about that tho Jesse, it's still worth it.

El Jay 03-31-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn321 (Post 3229737)
Outstanding!! I am so happy for you and your wife. I know you will be thrilled to cook your first meal there and toast each other with a glass of vino...or something!

El Jay, I believe I remember a thread here while back and correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one who said "What is this spare money you speak of?" or something like that? The same can be said for spare time.:lol:

Don't worry about that tho Jesse, it's still worth it.

I believe, Sir, that you are correct; on both counts.

And yeah, though I tease, it is still worth it!

Jesse, let me know when you are all moved in and settled so I can come & visit.
WTH, when I'm in the area, i may even go over to Winnsboro & visit my son & DIL.

SiCk_DiAbLo 03-31-2009 12:37 AM

Nice place, it's a great feeling when ya own yer own house..Good luck with it!!

krue 03-31-2009 12:43 AM

Congrats on the purchase!