The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hacked dash fix (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=311764)

Heavy Evy 10-23-2008 05:21 PM

Hacked dash fix

1 Attachment(s)
When I was young and stupid(er) (I'm still a numbskull) I let my buddy hack my dash to put a cd player in(he did a terrible job). The radio and speakers got stolen about 2 years ago, so I have been looking at a big ulgy lop side hole where a cd player use to be and its bugging really bad. I don't know if im going to put a cd player back in there or what. I was thinking of putting my gauges in there but again im not sure. I'm curious if anyone has ever fixed one of these and what they did. I guess the only fix would be to cut in new metal in it but im not sure. Heres a picture of the ugly bugger.

ChevLoRay 10-23-2008 05:39 PM

Re: Hacked dash fix

Mahanian has a possible fix for you. It still takes a DIN unit, but the billet piece he sells will let you have a clean looking dash and that will hide the butchery that you are not in love with. Check him out. He's on the board and there should be a thread about his billet radio panels.

cparman 10-23-2008 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mahanian has the plan !!

mr48chev 10-23-2008 06:40 PM

Slick even though I still have the stock non working am radio I've been planning on putting a new sound unit in the dash.

72lb4x4 10-23-2008 09:13 PM

A radio delete is 8"x2 5/8" so if it covers your hole, you can go that route. The clips that hold it on use the round holes so if they are gone, another method is needed to hold it on...

Richard8971 10-23-2008 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow, looks like the guy who worked on your dash worked on mine at some point too... I posted before and after pics...

I made a new plate from thick sheet metal (like 18 gauge) and used 3M double sided tape to hold it to my dash so I wouldn't have to use screws... has worked perfect...

Don

72BlckButy 10-23-2008 09:33 PM

If you want to go back to stock, you can always purchase a repair panel from someone and weld it in and repaint it.

72lb4x4 10-23-2008 11:27 PM

I've been thinking of finding the diameter of the knob holes and making a couple mini patch panels, since it looks pretty easy. A little of the hole area is left and a little of the corner in the square area is still there, so the size can still be determined.

I just need a volunteer to measure the diameter of the holes (obvious hint). ;)

The other ideas are bend up some clips that will work similar to the stock ones, or epoxy two bolts to the back of the delete plate and just use some strips of sheet metal about 1x3 to clamp the plate in place.

Heavy Evy 10-25-2008 12:23 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I think I will order that billet cover from Mahanian when I get paid.