The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN ** The truck Chevrolet should have built. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=426382)

drewskiren 10-23-2010 11:09 PM

Re: ** YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN** The truck Chevrolet should have built.

5 Attachment(s)
Tacking and stitch welding up the cab back whenever I have the welder out. Looks good, lines up nice, doors fit well, I am very pleased. I welded a trailer once, but this sheet metal is tough!!! I'm getting better, but am counting on the grinder to save me.

Now on to the roof. Measured a few times and cut off the excess. I kept the other half of the burb roof just in case I make a mistake. I fit it up there , but still have too much crown towards the front. More relief cutting at the front corners should do the trick.
Wrong. This metal is strong and still wants to hold its shape. I finally had to jump up and down on it on the floor to get it to lay down. Really. Even after all that a ratchet strap had to help keep the bow out until it was welded on. Don't worry about the dip, It will be level when I weld the inner brace in.

sparkydog 10-23-2010 11:50 PM

If you haven't already discovered, whatever crown you "select" during mockup will flatten out a bit as you tack and then finish weld. Even if you hammer and dolly as you go. (Which I would recommend.)

FWIW as I look at how flat an arc you are needing to get - tack it up just a hair fatter and it should flatten out and end up just right. Hard to describe in writing but you will probably know as you look at it in the real world.

VA72C10 10-24-2010 12:14 AM

Looking great!!!

ChuckDriver 10-24-2010 03:40 AM

That's coming out very nice!

drewskiren 10-24-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 4257017)
That's coming out very nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4256746)
Looking great!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pickup67man (Post 4249379)
I like the crew cab idea but I already have trucks. I am trying the 4 door suburban idea. Looks like you have helpers for your project. Hope my daughter wants to help when she is older. She is 2 1/2 right now and doesn't like dirty hands. I'll be watching your build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4250588)
You have me thinking impure thoughts about my neighbors Suburban.

Great project. Can't wait to see it done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4251199)
Looking good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourkraut (Post 4251446)
very cool build!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76kcfdeng (Post 4251478)
Awesome work! I don't think I could get through what your doing without giving up and selling it. I love crewcabs, :metal: I am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
glen

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremesounds13 (Post 4251883)
Great work! It's cool seeing it coming along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevylongbed (Post 4251895)
Cool build, looking great so far!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CST-V (Post 4254139)
NICE work. I'm hooked. You make it look so easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksbrktracer (Post 4256163)
I really like the way you are doing this one ...... Some really good ideas and it really looks like it's gonna pay choosing to start with such a good base vehicle ..... gonna save a ton of work not having to fix rust ! IMO you need to do the 4th door but I do see the value in waiting and getting the bigger project done, NICE work.

Thanks for all the positive comments, it means a lot.

Dieselwrencher 10-25-2010 04:43 PM

Looking awesome! I wonder if you cut the roof in quarters, like chopping a top on a street rod, if it would make the 2 roof lines line up betteor easier I should say. IDK, good work though!

Strut 10-25-2010 10:25 PM

Looks great.... Cant wait to see it done.

dccarpenter 10-27-2010 05:17 PM

Great writeup and great work, I'm really enjoying the build. I'm a big fan of the truck your basing it off of as well, remember seeing it in a magazine years ago.

drewskiren 10-31-2010 04:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Welding up the cab back, moving around a lot so I won't warp it up. Roof is fitted and welding it up. So far, I have had very little heartache with this project. Avoiding the rust has sure helped speed things along.

Mr Pops 10-31-2010 04:48 PM

You got me hooked. Looks great.

drewskiren 10-31-2010 04:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I am going to need to brace the roof to keep it high and arched to look right and to protect against something heavy pushing on it and caving it in. So I am going to trim one of the factory burb braces and mount it near the seam in the roof. That's it laying on the floor in the first pic.

drewskiren 10-31-2010 04:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A quick side note. Since my rockers were good, but I have a small rust particle collection still residing there, I need some way to get it clean. I came up with this, A telescoping magnetic pick up tool. Reaches all the way back there and totally cleaned it up so I could hose it with a spray bottle of rust converter, then chassis black paint.

drewskiren 10-31-2010 04:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Just a few progress shots. Check out the bondo spots on the back cab window. Can we say 80's gun rack??? Thanks for the holes, PO.

classicchev 10-31-2010 06:23 PM

If it was me, the rockers would still be changed. Rust is rust and I would hate to get done and a year or so later have something pop out. Thats just me.

And by the way, when you get ready to sell, consider it sold:metal::metal:, to me of course.

drewskiren 10-31-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicchev (Post 4270305)
If it was me, the rockers would still be changed. Rust is rust and I would hate to get done and a year or so later have something pop out. Thats just me.

And by the way, when you get ready to sell, consider it sold:metal::metal:, to me of course.

Its coming from the A pillar/hinge pillar. I am slicing them open to treat the rust there. Rockers are really clean on the inside plus I'll have them swimming in POR, Chassis black , then body cavity wax.

jbclassix 10-31-2010 10:50 PM

what are your plans for the rear fixed windows? I don't think you will be able to trim the Suburban ones because the rear will be vertical instead of leaning forward which would leave a gap at the top... atleast they are flat and not curved, which means custom made pieces are very possible

Dieselwrencher 11-01-2010 12:30 AM

Very nice project! The roof turned out really nice!

BLAZERMAN 11-01-2010 12:33 AM

Doing a Great job..cant wait to see more!

drewskiren 11-01-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 4270819)
what are your plans for the rear fixed windows? I don't think you will be able to trim the Suburban ones because the rear will be vertical instead of leaning forward which would leave a gap at the top... atleast they are flat and not curved, which means custom made pieces are very possible

Yes, I will have custom ones cut. About $40 each at my local windshield place

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4270990)
Very nice project! The roof turned out really nice!

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN (Post 4270998)
Doing a Great job..cant wait to see more!

thanks

Jmac0585 11-01-2010 09:48 AM

I am more excited about this build than my own. Maybe.

Dieselwrencher 11-01-2010 02:43 PM

Have you gathered any thoughts on how you would like to do the headliner yet?

drewskiren 11-01-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4271634)
Have you gathered any thoughts on how you would like to do the headliner yet?

Not really. I want it to be one smooth sheet with no fasteners showing. Do you have any ideas?

68 TT 11-01-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewskiren (Post 4271648)
Not really. I want it to be one smooth sheet with no fasteners showing. Do you have any ideas?

Fiberglass is used a lot in custom built cars. You can paint it or have it covered with upholstery depending upon the look you want.

I have seen some with Chevy bowties embossed into them that look pretty nice.

drewskiren 11-01-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4271838)
Fiberglass is used a lot in custom built cars. You can paint it or have it covered with upholstery depending upon the look you want.

I have seen some with Chevy bowties embossed into them that look pretty nice.

I'm up for it. Any ideas on how it is done?

68 TT 11-02-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewskiren (Post 4272210)
I'm up for it. Any ideas on how it is done?

You would need to make a mold. Typically for low production or one off parts they are done with wood frame and then covered with fleece to create the shape you want then coated with fiberglass resin to create a hard surface.

Then you have to do body work to it to smooth it out and put any detail to it that you want.

After that spray it with a high gloss paint to protect it and coat the painted surface with a release agent. Then you can lay down your fiberglass mat & resin to create the headliner.

Once you have the mold made you could spit out a few to sell off and recover some of your costs.