The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How do you protect your investment from theft ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809082)

CJ2A 07-13-2020 12:30 AM

How do you protect your investment from theft ?

I recently heard of several thefts of C10’s. One was while a friend was having breakfast at a restaurant.

How do you protect your investment ?

Ptjsk 07-13-2020 12:44 AM

Re: How do you protect your investment from theft ?

Subscribing, as I'm interested in this too.

Pat

HO455 07-13-2020 07:33 AM

There are some ideas here.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590462

tim_mc 07-13-2020 07:47 AM

Hood lock, hidden kill switch that grounds out the HEI tach lead, & battery disconnect (w/5A bypass fuse to keep radio presets, etc.).

Grumpy old man 07-13-2020 08:23 AM

Project creep , Nobody can steal it if it's sitting on jack stands in a locked garage ! :lol::lol:

Minkota 07-13-2020 08:31 AM

I installed this.

https://www.amazon.com/Megatronix-HL.../dp/B00262P71W

Ol Blue K20 07-13-2020 09:51 AM

Smith and Wesson......click click boom

AllGoNoShow 07-13-2020 10:15 AM

Speaking from personal experience, no one is hot wiring cars anymore (at least not in NY). They are jumping in the car you leave running when you leave it unattended to go into the store, or breaking into a dealership or overnight key drop to steal keys. In the remarkably unlikely chance you encounter a thief who is more sophisticated than this, they are just pulling up and loading it on a trailer and driving away.

GPS tracking is probably the way to go if your really concerned- or just buy a cheap burner flip phone and have your iPhone with the find my iphone app on it to leave hidden in your truck.

Jim Boy 07-13-2020 10:38 AM

I would like to see an air plane ejection seat installed. Do something wrong and go through the roof. The one with a broken neck was the one that tried but lost. Have a good one eh.

toolboxchev 07-13-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Boy (Post 8773756)
I would like to see an air plane ejection seat installed. Do something wrong and go through the roof. The one with a broken neck was the one that tried but lost. Have a good one eh.

Sorry officer, I never got around to putting the sunroof in! Winner, Winner for originality!

special-K 07-13-2020 11:54 AM

Honestly, I rely on being in a safe location where I live. I don't feel that is good enough these days with the internet, streetscape, the high value these trucks now hold, and the lack of anti-theft. I block mine in when at home and most of the time my son's truck is home when I am not. I used to have enough vehicles that a person couldn't tell if anyone was home or not, and something was always blocked in.
I want to do more, so I'll do a simple disconnect and skip the electronics and screaming alarms. GPS tracking is a good idea, though, if you want any hope of recovery. Where I leave it away from home is a concern I never had. It sucks that now I can't feel comfortable parking my OLD TRUCK at a park to head out backpack camping or leave it along a river while I spend the day fishing and enjoying the river. These are things I always enjoyed doing in my truck. Thieves suck!!

OregonNed 07-13-2020 12:02 PM

Stored in a locked garage with security system, (tilt sensors on the garage doors) -
when out and about she is seldom far from my sight. She isn't driven much.

brazz04 07-13-2020 12:25 PM

I replaced my fuse panel with the painless 14 way panel, and I just pull the coil fuse and take it with me. Sure someone could figure it out, but it will add some troubleshooting and work on their end.

Big Kev-O 07-13-2020 01:02 PM

I have a Viper two way alarm that triggers my key fob when activated. Works from up to 1/4 mile away. It cuts the ignition as well. It's not going to work if i am too far from the car but if i am parked in public one would hope the alarm sounding would at least get some attention. The ignition kill can easily be bypassed if the thief has electrical skills but by that time i will be coming out my front door angry as hell with my little friend Shotty. I also have a Lorex security camera with motion detect directly over my driveway.

Lee H 07-13-2020 04:20 PM

I’m protecting my investment with insurance. If stolen or totaled I’ll have enough money replace with a better unit. Won’t help with sentimental valve, but that’s not really an investment.

SCHRUMGMC 07-13-2020 04:39 PM

It’s been said before,

But I keep my in a locked garage and plus no engine so there’s the bonus:lol:

Asshat 07-13-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 8773953)
I’m protecting my investment with insurance. If stolen or totaled I’ll have enough money replace with a better unit. Won’t help with sentimental valve, but that’s not really an investment.

What insurance companyare you with? They cover theft and accident?
Is it expensive? Do they come out and appraise your vehicle?

57taskforce 07-13-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow (Post 8773745)
Speaking from personal experience, no one is hot wiring cars anymore (at least not in NY). They are jumping in the car you leave running when you leave it unattended to go into the store, or breaking into a dealership or overnight key drop to steal keys. In the remarkably unlikely chance you encounter a thief who is more sophisticated than this, they are just pulling up and loading it on a trailer and driving away.

GPS tracking is probably the way to go if your really concerned- or just buy a cheap burner flip phone and have your iPhone with the find my iphone app on it to leave hidden in your truck.

I don’t think this is accurate. This might help. I frequent THE 5th gen Camaro forum and there’s been several guys who have had there cars broken into/stolen in this way.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=ARrlhlQiFzM
Obviously this doesn’t apply much to our trucks but it’s kinda naive to say they are just jumping in them When running and hauling ass. I live 3 hours north of Albuquerque, they are not just jumping into running cars there, ABQ is one of the car theft capitals of the country. Nothing is off limits old or new. If someone wants it bad enough they are going to get it eventually. If they are smart enough to do this kind of stuff our old trucks are child’s play.

Lee H 07-13-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8773968)
What insurance companyare you with? They cover theft and accident?
Is it expensive? Do they come out and appraise your vehicle?

American Collectors. I had to get an appraisal after my frame off that substantially increased the value. Full coverage, about $400 a year, mileage and places not covered should it be stolen (like the movie theater as an example) restrictions apply.

weq92f 07-13-2020 05:44 PM

Ima start with LockDoc's key set all the way around, then maybe put a hidden switch on the ECU power circuit. PO installed a pull knob start switch...no security at all.

-klb

Asshat 07-13-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8773997)
Ima start with LockDoc's key set all the way around, then maybe put a hidden switch on the ECU power circuit. PO installed a pull knob start switch...no security at all.

-klb

What exactly are you referring to? Is this some sort of security device?

NorCalC20LWB 07-13-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brazz04 (Post 8773826)
I replaced my fuse panel with the painless 14 way panel, and I just pull the coil fuse and take it with me. Sure someone could figure it out, but it will add some troubleshooting and work on their end.

Now that's a great idea for a quick, easy, & cheap precaution. You could even put in a blown fuse when unattended so there would not be an obvious missing fuse.

toolboxchev 07-13-2020 06:28 PM

Put dirty socks on the dashboard.

truckster 07-13-2020 06:52 PM

Mine's been sitting in the garage with no engine or front clip for the last 7 years. Pretty secure, if you ask me.

I do have a tracking unit that I bought to track one of my children who was making some dumb decisions. I'll probably put it under the Blazer once I get it back on the road.

Andy4639 07-13-2020 07:22 PM

Best security system is one not talked about on here are any other public forum. My 2 cents worth.:metal::chevy: