The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Need big block head advise (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=46590)

Blackhawkdc 03-29-2003 08:45 PM

Need big block head advise

I'm building a 496 stroker for my truck. Looking at around 550-575 horse from the compination. Not a high revving combo, but I'd assumer it needs good flowing heads still. I'm looking at World Merlin cast iron heads. Either 310cc or 345 cc intake ports. What would be the recommendation? Engine will be built to about 10.2:1 compression, domed pistons, roller cam, somewhere around 300 degrees. STarting out with either a single-plane manifold or Tunnelram, with fuel injection eventually. Any advise here? Am I headed in the right direction? The last engine I built was a 7000+ RPM Small block, so a slightly different deal than what I'm used to.

Thanks in advance.

PS. I've got a pair of Generation V heads for sale if anyone's interested.

Class of 69 03-29-2003 10:32 PM

If you don't have either the heads or pistons , either size will work, you just match the pistons to the head to get the comp ratio you want.. If your referring to oval or rectangle intake ports, the rectangle will flow more air and produce more power. As for not high reving... that conbination will easily turn 7,000 rpm all day!!! Don't believe a properly built big block can't stay together over 5500 rpm, I had a highly modified LS5 that I yanked the stick at 7200 rpm on any time I felt like it for 7 years, and never broke anything in the engine! We won't mention the drive train at this time tho... ENJOY, and HANG ON!

beau396 03-30-2003 03:31 AM

Most advice that I have heard from pro builders and dyno tests indicate that the smaller/shorter runners are always better for a lower revving street motor. Stock oval ports make more torque and horspower then rectangular ports up to 5,000 rpm. Due to higher velocity in the runners from the smaller diameter. Also if you use aluminum heads you can run .5-1 pt higher of commpresion because of better heat dispersion. For the h.p. that you are looking to make I would personally chose the smaller runners for better low end torque. Be careful about over camming the engine also.

chevy2racr 03-30-2003 03:43 AM

look into Pro Action heads. damn good flowing out of the box heads, you can get SBC heads outta the box flowing 312

doug72 03-30-2003 10:07 AM

Try to find a set of open chamber 049 casting GM heads. They will get you close to what you want and are very streetable. They will work with your domed pistons.

Doug

chevy2racr 03-30-2003 11:38 PM

Welcome Doug, see this was ur first post

doug72 03-31-2003 08:17 AM

Yes, it was and thanks for the welcome. I have been watching this page for a week or two. Bought a 72SWB stepside last weekend and just brought it home yesterday. A friend had been working on it for the past few years and decided he needed something bigger for the family. It is nearly complete. i will be posting with a bed problem later today. the 2 rails that run along the sides of the bed that support the wood floor have been cut off and I need replacements. Where is a good place to get them?

Doug