The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Lower control arm cross shaft compatibility (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816200)

BCash 12-28-2020 04:01 PM

Lower control arm cross shaft compatibility

I'm in the process of rebuilding/upgrading the suspension on my '68 c20 right now and I have a question about the lower control arm cross shafts. I bought a complete subframe from a 73-87 squarebody to do a disc brake swap/5 lug conversion, but damaged the lower control arm cross shafts while trying to remove them for a bushing replacement.

The question - do the 67-72 cross shafts with metal bushings fit into the squarebody control arms that previously had rubber bushings? For some reason new 67-72 cross shafts are astronomically cheaper than the squarebody equivalent.

If they don't fit, I'll have to hunt down another set of 1/2 ton lower control arms since new cross shafts for 73-87 are just as expensive as an entire control arm.

Any help would appreciated!

racerface 01-04-2021 08:31 PM

Re: Lower control arm cross shaft compatibility

TRW Automotive JRK1013 Suspension Control Arm Shaft Kit for Chevrolet C10: 1975-1986 and other applications Front Lower $70.35 on Amazon

SCOTI 01-05-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCash (Post 8855669)
I'm in the process of rebuilding/upgrading the suspension on my '68 c20 right now and I have a question about the lower control arm cross shafts. I bought a complete subframe from a 73-87 squarebody to do a disc brake swap/5 lug conversion, but damaged the lower control arm cross shafts while trying to remove them for a bushing replacement.

The question - do the 67-72 cross shafts with metal bushings fit into the squarebody control arms that previously had rubber bushings? For some reason new 67-72 cross shafts are astronomically cheaper than the squarebody equivalent.

If they don't fit, I'll have to hunt down another set of 1/2 ton lower control arms since new cross shafts for 73-87 are just as expensive as an entire control arm.

Any help would appreciated!

While either application can be swapped for one another w/the right parts combo, these shafts do not interchange. The 63-72 shafts utilize threaded/screw-on rubber-lined steel bushings & the 73-87 utilize press in rubber-bushed shells. Two different shafts are used for the two different style set-ups.

BCash 01-05-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8859301)
While either application can be swapped for one another w/the right parts combo, these shafts do not interchange. The 63-72 shafts utilize threaded/screw-on rubber-lined steel bushings & the 73-87 utilize press in rubber-bushed shells. Two different shafts are used for the two different style set-ups.

Thanks for the reply, I did suspect this was the case after finally getting the 73-87 lowers torn down and seeing that the outer bushing sleeve is definitely different than the 63-72 threaded ones.
After doing a little more digging I was able to find cross shaft assemblies on LMC for around $45 a piece instead of the $75+ I was seeing everywhere else.

Another lesson learned, the ol BFH is not always the proper tool for the job. Especially when the replacement parts aren't as cheap as I thought haha