The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Repossessed HUD home renovation (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601220)

bnoon 10-21-2013 11:57 AM

Repossessed HUD home renovation

4 Attachment(s)
I had a looooooooong drawn out closing due to title issues with a repossessed house that I am now renovating. It took us 3 months to get a closing date, but I'm proud to say that we are closed as of the 8th of October and well on our way!

BTW, purchased for $122,000, renovation bid at $32,000 for $154,000 total price. Comps in the area over the last 6 months have sold from $170,000-$210,000 with our projected being towards the higher end of that.

Here are some pictures of where we have come from as purchased.

bnoon 10-21-2013 12:01 PM

Re: Repossessed HUD home renovation

5 Attachment(s)
Stripped walls, patched holes, retextured, and painted bright white.

bnoon 10-21-2013 12:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Floors going down. Brazilian Cherry hardwood, not laminate. Though it's designed to go down as an interlocking floor much like a laminate does. So much faster than the old staples/nails way. Just laid the last board down yesterday. This week, tile flooring for the entryway and kitchen!!!

bnoon 10-21-2013 12:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Gratuitous garage shot! Tools and bikes were first into the space, then I built my main bench along the main back wall. 12'x4' with 4x4 posts and reinforcements, 2x4 double frame, 2x6 underlayments for the top, capped by 3/4" plywood. Guessing it probably weighs in the neighborhood of 600 pounds as I could barely lift it, but not enough to get it off of the ground onto its feet (I built it laying on its side). Drill press, lathe, media blast cabinet will all mount to it. Shelving and small parts bins to come as well.

flashed 10-21-2013 12:36 PM

Looks like you got a lot of house for the money ,good deals are out there .And all that garage space is a major bonus ,congrats .

bnoon 10-21-2013 12:40 PM

I agree, this is a good deal for the money. 3 car attached garage, but plans are to build another 2 car detached out back possibly next summer.

bnoon 10-23-2013 09:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
New doors ready for staining. And pile of trim and closet organizers I'm not looking forward to reinstalling.

bnoon 10-23-2013 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered this sink and faucet yesterday from Amazon. Love it!

bnoon 10-25-2013 10:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Tile flooring went down yesterday. Probably about 100 sq ft left to install tonight. Medium gray porcelain tiles and dark gray ceramic random tiles (with dark rust colored accents marbled through them to go with the redish Brazilian cherry wood flooring). Grouting Saturday. Kitchen cabinets ready to go sitting in the living room (those will be stained to similar color as the wood flooring).

flashed 10-25-2013 12:04 PM

Its looking good .There is a 5 bedroom HUD house with a 3 car detached garage next to me on 2 acres that just recently sold for $55,000 ,which also was a bargain but the new owner had to gut the whole inside and is currently putting it back together .A buch of druggies lived there and basically destroyed the place .Im glad to see someone willing to spend the money to make it nice again .It looks like yours is in much better condition ,keep us posted .I cant wait to see an old truck in part of your garage .

bnoon 10-25-2013 02:12 PM

Ha! The '76 is too busy hauling all of the parts/supplies for the house to pose for pictures I guess LOL!

bnoon 11-04-2013 10:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Tile done and sealed. Kitchen cabinets mostly installed. First one being leveled by my dad and second shot being modeled by my lovely girlfriend Misty. Waiting for a few more cabinets and appliances to come in later this week or early next week, then we can stain the cabinets and slap the counter tops on.

bnoon 11-05-2013 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up some reclaimed bowling alley wood for the island counter top.

hopped up 11-05-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 6349263)
Picked up some reclaimed bowling alley wood for the island counter top.

i have a bowling for the table in the kitchen. love it!!

hopped up 11-05-2013 01:58 PM

the only picture i could find of our bowling lane in the kitchen
[IMG]http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/...1/7d1a55dc.jpg[/IMG]

67ChevyRedneck 11-05-2013 03:12 PM

Slow down a tad, you're making the rest of us look bad ;)

Mine's been ongoing for 4 years now... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... or maybe it's the train?

bnoon 11-05-2013 03:31 PM

I only have a few weeks left until we move in. If anything I need to pick up the pace!!! I have to finish the cabinet install once the appliances get here, then stain/clear them. I have to paint the two island cabinets that go under the bowling alley wood. Cut/trim/reinforce the bowling alley wood and strip it so that I can finish it with mineral oil... I have to build/paint the desk I bought for the vanity in the half bath and set up the sink shown in this thread... and assemble/set the counter tops in the kitchen as well as cut the sink hole and assemble the sink/garbage disposal... Trim wood through the whole house... I just broke the transformer for my new doorbell I just put in Sunday... BAHHHHH!!! The list keeps growing it seems!

sduckworth13 11-05-2013 03:39 PM

Nice work on the house, you do top notch work. I had a high school basketball court floor in my kitchen I picked up from Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

07XCSBZ71 11-06-2013 01:16 AM

Very nice work! I think it's the next best thing to do,next to building it yourself.

I picked this house up as a forecloser last year. Got pretty lucky, just had to paint and do light fixtures.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2lwkcnt.jpg

bnoon 11-06-2013 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up the garbage disposal, 9" deep American Standard stainless steel sink with colander/cutting board/mini-sink insert (attached image), Delta fancy spray hose extra tall faucet, and the last ceiling fan that I need last night from Lowes. I also got the stain/clear for the main cabinets and the bright red paint for the island cabinets. Thank God for sales, rebates, and tax credits for home improvements! :metal:

NONHOG 11-06-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 6349379)
Slow down a tad, you're making the rest of us look bad ;)

Mine's been ongoing for 4 years now... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... or maybe it's the train?

Have yet to start on our renovation. Too busy doing repairs. :lol:

bnoon, love what your doing so far!

72BlckButy 11-06-2013 07:40 PM

Nice work!

rambler 11-07-2013 12:59 AM

nice work,, amazing how some of these nice houses are being foreclosed still

bnoon 11-07-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambler (Post 6351911)
nice work,, amazing how some of these nice houses are being foreclosed still

This guy lost his job AND got a divorce. Taxes are higher in this neighborhood as well since it's a lake community, so an extra $300-$400 a month in taxes killed off those that were stretching themselves a little too far already once the abatements ran out.

bnoon 11-08-2013 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Started staining the cabinets last night. Took forever to get all of the staples out of the edges (from the protective cardboard they put on them). I probably would have finished the stain coat if the darn staples weren't there, but this is all I got done. (oh, I got the appliances too, note the stainless steel dishwasher temporarily sitting in place)