The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   beating this question to death! LT1/4L60E (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=52057)

jay-dawg 05-08-2003 10:54 PM

beating this question to death! LT1/4L60E

Alright,
I'm looking at a 95 LT1 out of a 95 Z28 camaro. Owner says it's from a car w/ back end damage. He has all the wiring, ecu, accesories, even the fuel pump.

I did a search and this is what problems come up:

1)Notching the frame where the A/C is.(I do plan to have A/C in these humid Hawaii weather).

2)Use the inline 6 mount holes to give more clearance between engine and radiator.

3)custom engine mounts.

4)wiring harness for column shift. (Probably go with an
aftermarket tilt from flaming river or something to make it easier)

5)buy speedo conversion

6)use auto crossmember moved towards the rear.

7) shorten drive shaft.

Anything else I missed?

Project1970 05-08-2003 11:04 PM

I don't think you need to fab mounts for the LT1, it should bolt up like any older smallblock.

adamls 05-08-2003 11:06 PM

I think instead of notching the fram for AC you can use the corvette brackets which moves the AC to the driver side and up away from the frame.

jay-dawg 05-09-2003 12:57 PM

Project 1970 I thought that was what I read with the engine mounts. Well, that's good, less to shell out for.

Adamls that's better but those hose lines would certainly be an eyesore unless I run it against the radiator and then back along the passenger side.

crazy4chevs 05-09-2003 04:24 PM

These guys have a tailshaft that lets you run your stock speedo and still has the hookup for the computer.

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

NPilot1975 05-09-2003 07:35 PM

I haven't gotten mine running yet, but have installed a 1995 Z28 LT-1/4L60E in my 1972 Chevy Chassis. it mounts with the stock 67-72 Chevy motor mounts and stock auto trans crossmember. You can use either the 6 cyl or V8 mounts, you will have to run electric fans so clearance is not an issue.

If you need wiring/computer work, this guy does a great job: http://www.speartech.com/

Also, you can find anything for the engine from Street and Performance: http://www.hotrodlane.cc, they are a little pricey but have great stuff. They also have a tell shaft to run your stock speedo, I went with a custom dash with electronic instruments.

You will need to get custom accessory brackets or run the Corvette setup.

Any other questions feel free to e-mail me, NPilot1975@aol.com.
My truck should be up and running very soon.

gmc67swb 05-09-2003 08:46 PM

HAS ANYONE ADDRESSED THE REVERSE FLOW COOLING THAT THESE CARS CAME WITH. I BELIEVE THE WATER GOES THROUGH THE HEADS FIRST. NOT SURE IF THERE'S ANYTHING SPECIFIC TO BE DONE THERE OR NOT. I THINK YOU CAN SWITCH TO THE LT1 SET UP FROM THE IMPALA SS OR 9C1 POLICE PACKAGE CAPRICE TO GET THE AC WHERE YOU WANT IT.

chevyman 68 C/10 05-09-2003 09:39 PM

One other item is the fuel lines and pump. I had a custom tank built and put a hole in the top to mount the part around the original fuel tank off of the 96 trans am donor car, so I could use the stock pump. A return line also has to be installed.
If you choose to use a pump mounted out side the tank it will work but is not nearly as effective.
I chose to use the 6 cylinder mounting holes so i could get better weight transfer and handling, it looked better to me slid back also.
Getting it to mount up is a snap and does not take very long at all, you will need v8 mounting brackets.
Headers are not a problem, any for a chevy truck will work just fine but remember that you will need the o2 sencer in the colecter or header.
The corvette brackets work good but are hard the find and they put every thing on the drivers side just backwards from the camaro firebird ones.
I am buying Street and performance brackets ans pulleys, but WOW they are really expensive.
I bought a wiring harness from a company called Howell becouse it was a little cheeper than Street and performance. They can also reprogram your computer to get the bugs that you dont want in your new set up.
If I can help you just ask.

jay-dawg 05-09-2003 10:10 PM

man...is this board great or what!!!

thanks guys.

jay

minibike 05-09-2003 11:47 PM

There is really too much to cover in a post, but it sounds like you have it pretty much understood. I notched my frame and motor mount to clear the camaro ac unit. The camaro radiator and fans fit great, just move the radiator bracket back about an inch...

I wish I would have mounted the engine further back (6 cylinder location), but it fits either way.

If you have a broad band or good connection, I can send many pictures.

jay-dawg 05-10-2003 12:09 AM

your website is one of the few inspirations minibike.

send it over:

dvljr@wwdb.org

jay-dawg 05-10-2003 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by chevyman 68 C/10

I am buying Street and performance brackets ans pulleys, but WOW they are really expensive.

do they keep the a/c comp on the passenger side?I'm gonna go look at their site.

jay

NPilot1975 05-10-2003 12:50 PM

S&P brackets mount the a/c compressor high on the passenger side, the alt. high on the driver side, and the p/s pump low on the left, closer to the steering box.

jay-dawg 05-17-2003 10:23 PM

Quote:

The Engine and trans have just over 71000 miles, ran excellent when pulled. The car was rear ended while parked, I bought it from the owner, who then pulled the engine for me.

I have:
1) Engine
2) Transmission
3) Harness
4) PCM (computer)
5) In-tank fuel pump (stock)
6) Air Box
7) MAF

I do not have:
1) Y-pipe with O2 sensors
2) rubber boot from T/B to MAF
3) Radiator
4) Cooling fan assembly

This is what I got back from the guy. He wont budge from $2500. If I use an aftermarket fuel tank from ECE, how hard is it to install the fuel pump?

Jay

minibike 05-17-2003 11:16 PM

That is not a bad price, but you may want ot get the radiator, condensing coils, fans, etc. They will fit in our trucks.

NPilot1975 05-18-2003 01:18 PM

Rock Valley Antiques makes stainless steel tanks that can have the pump in the tank. The cost around $850, which is the tank with a baffle installed and the pump in the tank, made to your specifications. There website is http://www.rockvalleyantiqueautoparts.com/ndex.htm

jay-dawg 05-18-2003 01:45 PM

wow, $850. I thought I saw an article with ECE or something build a custom tank and had the fuel pump etc attached to it. I'll try and find it somewhere and give an update.

jay

NPilot1975 05-18-2003 02:19 PM

The tank is around 400 and the pump is around 300. I priced them from everyone. RV allows you to send them a plan and they build it for you

dtlilly 05-18-2003 02:47 PM

I have a question regarding the fuel tank and pump.

I have an 88 Pontiac TA, with TPI 350ci, auto tranny. I want to put it in one of our trucks. Sounds like it will drop in fine. I will be using all wiring, computer, fuse blocks, sensors, exhaust, radiator, etc.

Can I fit the TA gas tank and pump under the rear of our trucks?

NPilot1975 05-18-2003 02:51 PM

I am not sure. If you remove the spare tire carrier and the rear crossmember and make one for the end of the frame on a short bed, you have 21" from the forward crossmember to the back one and 27.5" between the frame rails.

dtlilly 05-18-2003 03:13 PM

Hmmmm, Thanks.

Wootdog 05-18-2003 05:45 PM

RE Pics

Can you guys send me pics also? That is what is in the new project I have. LT1 with the 4L60. I also need pics of the plumbing, IE connections on the top of the motor for the metal pieces, and of course the sensors.Thanks in advance Wootdog

Jackal2k9 05-18-2003 06:05 PM

a guy is selling me a 94' rolled caprice for 1500. (lt1 / 4l60e / 88k) Steal? I have seen them on ebay for less tho. ecm reprogram and harness re-working seems to run about 400 bucks. any one know if it's done less anywhere else?

btw caprice has a/c compressor on upper driverside.

minibike 05-18-2003 06:15 PM

I could not fit the 94 camaro tank in my truck... I had a custom one made by a boat builder...$215. I used the camaro sending unit and pump, saving big $.

mtwheels 05-29-2003 12:46 PM

This is great info...I just bought my 72 C-10 over the weekend and am excited to get it started. I checked out your website minibike and the pics are great. Fortunatley, My father-in-Law has a police edition caprice with the LT1. I can basically have it. I have an I6 in it right now that has been overhauled. It has triple carbs, I thought that was cool, hadn't seen them before. The 6 will make it move...it's amazing. I can't wait to get the LT1 in though. I can't wait to get started with my new project. Any initial words of wisdom from anyone as I get started?
Thanks!