The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Loosenutz's 66 SWB BBW LM4 Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=792680)

loosenutz 09-19-2019 11:20 PM

Re: Loosenutz's 66 SWB BBW LM4 Build

2 Attachment(s)
Magnaflow Y pipe arrived today. I was planning on using the stock y pipe but the place I bought the engine from screwed up and cut it off even though they told me they'd include it. When I informed them of their mistake they said they would send the part they cut off. What arrived was the a piece of the correct y pipe and 2 incorrect catalytic converters from another vehicle so I gave up on that idea. Found this High performance magnaflow unit for half price so it was cheaper than a stock replacement. I also started putting the Holley oil pan on so I can place the engine in the truck. Quite a difference between it and the stock ssr pan (which is a front sump). I'll also need to drill out the boss in the block for the Holley dipstick. The LM4 had it's stock dipstick inserted into a boss on the oil pan.

88Stanger 09-20-2019 09:37 AM

Awesome build so far! I did this basic conversion on my 1969 C10. I will be honest and tell you i completely rebuilt the 5.3 iron block and damn, the design changes from Gen 1 Chevy blocks is great! Everything is O-Ring gaskets, fitiment is perfect, the crank is in with 6 bolts, and so on. Anyways, nice build, you will love the LS.
I will say this, i used dirty dingo motor mounts and when the 4L60E was in, my drive line to Tranny and Rearend angles were way off! I had to add 1.5" aluminium block to the tranny mount to get them to a decent angle. The tranny was pointing down at 13 Degrees. It could be the motor mounts, either way i had to install a High Hump cover to get enough clearance. Good Luck on this, ill be watching for updates.
Now i am off to go work on the next project, my 1966 Factory shortbed fleet.

loosenutz 09-20-2019 11:24 AM

This is my 2nd LS swap. I agree with you 100%. They are super easy to work on and superior in every way to the older generations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8596263)
Awesome build so far! I did this basic conversion on my 1969 C10. I will be honest and tell you i completely rebuilt the 5.3 iron block and damn, the design changes from Gen 1 Chevy blocks is great! Everything is O-Ring gaskets, fitiment is perfect, the crank is in with 6 bolts, and so on. Anyways, nice build, you will love the LS.
I will say this, i used dirty dingo motor mounts and when the 4L60E was in, my drive line to Tranny and Rearend angles were way off! I had to add 1.5" aluminium block to the tranny mount to get them to a decent angle. The tranny was pointing down at 13 Degrees. It could be the motor mounts, either way i had to install a High Hump cover to get enough clearance. Good Luck on this, ill be watching for updates.

loosenutz 09-20-2019 11:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Fabbed up some brackets to mount the SSR radiator assembly to the C10 core support. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

350TacoZilla 09-21-2019 03:17 PM

Always nice to see parts showing up and going together.Good job on the radiator setup. I like re-using as many stock parts as possible for something like this so I really appreciate what your doing here lol. I like that Y pipe setup too,looks like real nice work.

I wasn't a big fan of the LS when they came out but being around them for awhile I kinda saw the light on them, I ended up with 2 4.8's for dirt cheap (one still in a running and driving truck) and plan to swap into one of my project soon but the wiring is what worries me. I plan to follow an online guide and trim the stock harness down to just the needed wires.

loosenutz 09-22-2019 02:58 PM

The Dirty Dingo mounts must put the engine pretty high? I set the engine and trans in this weekend. The trans is on the factory crossmember using the low profile Energy Suspension mount. I positioned the engine so the Holley 302-2 pan has 3/4" clearance to the top of the crossmember. My tranny is currently pointing 3° downward and my driveshaft is perfectly level. These universal mounts are going to work great! I'll post details once I'm done

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8596263)

loosenutz 09-23-2019 11:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the Holley 302-2 pan installed. Also drilled the hole in the block for the dipstick that the Holley pan utilizes.

loosenutz 09-23-2019 11:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
After that I set the engine in. Positioned it so there's 3/4" clearance between the Holley pan and the cross member. I'll need to trim about 5/8" off the bottom of the front engine mount tabs and 7/8" off of the back tabs. After that I just need to weld the tabs to the crossmember. Really happy with how these universal mounts are working out. It's nice to be able to position the engine exactly where you want it. I'll also need to clearance the frame to clear the SSR power steering pump and just slightly to clear to passenger side exhaust manifold.

loosenutz 09-23-2019 10:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
After trimming the motor mount tabs, they fit perfect. Welded them in tonight.

loosenutz 09-23-2019 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One good thing about using motor mounts like these is there's a lot more room for the exhaust manifolds. I've seen numerous builds where the mounts were in the way of the headers so the engine had to be moved forward or backward. I also clearanced the frame slightly for the flange on the passenger exhaust manifold. It wasn't actually touching but too close for comfort.

loosenutz 09-25-2019 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted the CPP master cylinder tonight and then installed the assembly. Had to shorten the push rod that came in the kit some. Even at its shortest adjustment it was 1/4" too long so I removed 1/2".

loosenutz 10-09-2019 11:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Bolted the stock AC compressor and lines in tonight to see how much interference there was. Amazingly it fit perfect. I'll just need to fab up a bracket to support the bottom of the AC mount. It was originally bolted to the oil pan but the Holley pan doesn't have provisions for that.

SCOTI 10-10-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosenutz (Post 8606919)
Bolted the stock AC compressor and lines in tonight to see how much interference there was. Amazingly it fit perfect. I'll just need to fab up a bracket to support the bottom of the AC mount. It was originally bolted to the oil pan but the Holley pan doesn't have provisions for that.

The a/c house routing looks much better on these later models vs. earlier LS swap compressors.

Could you put a stud on that bolt of the pan that looks close to being between the 2 mounting holes on the compressor? If so, a simple-ish 90° bracket should/could anchor to that (the stud, pan rail, bracket, & a flange nut to secure it all). Or, the stud gets a flange nut for the pan, a/c bracket goes on that & a 2nd nut to secure the a/c bracket?

loosenutz 10-10-2019 10:11 AM

You read my mind, that's exactly what I'm doing but I'm going to use 2 bolt holes not just one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8607032)
The a/c house routing looks much better on these later models vs. earlier LS swap compressors.

Could you put a stud on that bolt of the pan that looks close to being between the 2 mounting holes on the compressor? If so, a simple-ish 90° bracket should/could anchor to that (the stud, pan rail, bracket, & a flange nut to secure it all). Or, the stud gets a flange nut for the pan, a/c bracket goes on that & a 2nd nut to secure the a/c bracket?

350TacoZilla 10-10-2019 07:24 PM

Everything is looking so good on this I dont have much to add other than maybe gusset between your motor mount tabs either on top or the bottom. I have had the flat tabs like that start flexing before right above the welds and end up either cracking or just bending.

loosenutz 10-10-2019 10:26 PM

Yes, gussets will be added. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla (Post 8607302)
Everything is looking so good on this I dont have much to add other than maybe gusset between your motor mount tabs either on top or the bottom. I have had the flat tabs like that start flexing before right above the welds and end up either cracking or just bending.

loosenutz 10-10-2019 10:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my inner fenders and core support back from the powdercoater. They look amazing. Hard to believe they turned out this great when they were terrible before. A big shout out to Valley Powdercoating in San Diego. I'd highly recommend them.

Lunnb 10-11-2019 10:16 PM

Roughly how much did it cost to powder coat the inner fenders and core support ?
TIA

loosenutz 10-11-2019 10:34 PM

Well... I know the owner so my cost was much lower. I could ask him what he would normally charge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunnb (Post 8607986)
Roughly how much did it cost to powder coat the inner fenders and core support ?
TIA

Lunnb 10-11-2019 10:40 PM

No biggie , glad you got a deal on it . I have new inner fenders and core support , I’m on the fence about painting or powder coating .

loosenutz 10-12-2019 09:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished making the lower ac support bracket. Turned out perfect. I used the original lower bolts but had to trim about 5/8" off of them.

SCOTI 10-13-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosenutz (Post 8608497)
Finished making the lower ac support bracket. Turned out perfect. I used the original lower bolts but had to trim about 5/8" off of them.

Yep.... That's the bracket I was thinkin'. Simplish, clean, & supportive.

Android04 10-17-2019 02:10 PM

Love it.

loosenutz 10-17-2019 09:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished up with clearancing the frame for the power steering pump. I welded in a pretty solid brace so should be more than strong enough. Plus this is forward of any suspension mounts so not much stress there. I also added gussets to the motor mount tabs for added strength. Didn't bother to get pics of that.

loosenutz 10-18-2019 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trimmed all the excess off of the factory ecu mounting bracket. Then bolted it to the driver's inner fender. Once the core support is on it should be semi hidden. Planning to mount the under hood fuse box from the SSR next to the ECU. Going to have to make some custom brackets to pull that off.