The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Niagara falls trip (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=679425)

chip46wis 08-14-2015 05:15 PM

Niagara falls trip

We are heading to Niagara in September and with researching I see most (all?) hotels have the ripoff resort fees some as high as $150! Has anyone visited this area lately? I simply ask for a decent room with a falls view and I do expect to pay for it but I see people leaving comments such as $200 a DAY resort fees /taxes /parking at that hotel fees? what BS any help is appreciated.TY

fine69 08-16-2015 07:31 PM

Re: Niagara falls trip

I have been there 4 or 5 times in the last few years. Cant give you specifics. But I know I never paid that much. And never a resort fee. I wouldn't have done it. Im a cheap ass. I do know that if you want a better view....stay on the Canadian side.

Coley 08-20-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fine69 (Post 7275676)
I do know that if you want a better view....stay on the Canadian side.

....absolutely DITTO on this...stay on the Canadian Side....you will get a better view.
But WAIT..there is way more to this idea!
I would look to book a place in 'Niagara on the Lake' on the Canadian side which is a really, really nice little town right near the falls...way lower on the commercial/tourist side crapola. (Google this town on the Canadian side and check it out....its 10-15 minutes to the falls)
PLUS....you are going to get a smoking deal on your U.S dollar over on the Canadian side.....basically 30% advantage on everything...accommodation, food, etc.
This dollar advantage is now bringing droves of Americans over to the Canadian side to holiday, etc right now....certainly on the west coast.
Oh...just fill up with fuel on the U.S side first...that will be cheaper for you.
The border crossing is still no big deal in my opinion....Americans and Canadians are crossing millions of times a day back and forth. The only thing you need is a passport (or equivalent?) and maybe a drivers license.....and.....don't bring any firearms because you will be asked about them....or if you do, declare them....and you will have to leave them at the border to pick them up on the return trip.
All Good
Coley

special-K 08-21-2015 05:43 AM

Everyone is different, but I wouldn't be concerned with having a room with a view of the falls. When I'm on vacation it's all about getting out and about and the room is just for washing up and sleeping. The money you save you can spend on more activities or eating better. Since so many want the view from their room, you have to expect to pay an overinflated tourist trap price. Niagara Falls is a beautiful natural wonder, but unfortunately is also one of the biggest tourist traps in America.

chip46wis 08-30-2015 08:47 PM

Agreed with all---ty