The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2005 Sierra 2wd LH side lean correction & lowering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812053)

rustytruck50 09-16-2020 09:29 PM

2005 Sierra 2wd LH side lean correction & lowering

My Sierra has the much discussed LH lean that I want to correct. I also want to lower the truck. What would happen if I just put new drop coils in? Would this correct the lean or just lower the lean?

lolife99 09-16-2020 10:35 PM

Re: 2005 Sierra 2wd LH side lean correction & lowering

The lean will still be there.
I either trim the “high side” or add a Belltech spring spacer under the “low side” front spring.

rustytruck50 09-16-2020 11:11 PM

Thanks Keith....I thought a bit about trimming the higher side. What would be a reasonable amount to cut off? Half coil at a time? Is the reason it would still lean because of the rear spring pulling it down?

lolife99 09-17-2020 12:47 AM

I’m not sure what causes the lean. Fuel tank on one side? I don’t known
Be conservative on your cutting and sneak up on it.
1/2 COIL = 1” of drop.

Palf70Step 09-17-2020 07:20 AM

Since I had a small floor jack, some chains and tools in my truck under the tonneau cover I made a little box to hold it on to the passenger side of the bed near tailgate and it leveled my truck out.

I have heard so many stories why there is lean like the gas tank & driver weight. I do know on my 02, the spacers they added from factory for quietness and the lean, deteriorated and made the lean worse.

A friend of mine swapped his leaf springs around when he lowered his and it seemed to help get rid of it. Personally, I think the leafs are more of the issue that the front coils, but the front coils are easier for most folks to tinker with..

rustytruck50 09-17-2020 07:23 AM

Pretty sure its the tank. My thought was that maybe since the springs on that side have both sagged a bit that if something was done first, the softer rear spring was the cause of it still leaning. I agree with the conservative approach...made that mistake years ago on a '83 Cutlass...thought I knew what was what & could not have been more incorrect :eyeroll:...thank goodness for the internet!

rustytruck50 09-17-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8809384)
Since I had a small floor jack, some chains and tools in my truck under the tonneau cover I made a little box to hold it on to the passenger side of the bed near tailgate and it leveled my truck out.

I have heard so many stories why there is lean like the gas tank & driver weight. I do know on my 02, the spacers they added from factory for quietness and the lean, deteriorated and made the lean worse.

A friend of mine swapped his leaf springs around when he lowered his and it seemed to help get rid of it. Personally, I think the leafs are more of the issue that the front coils, but the front coils are easier for most folks to tinker with..

I watched a really good video on YouTube on a green '02 Sierra and he swapped the leaf packs & said it did the trick. Are the spacers you mentioned, on the lower arms? I guess I thought those were just insulators...might check & see if I can find a replacement. I'll hafta click a couple of pics of my goofy looking caster issues I'm hoping to iron out during this fix.Thanks for the info!

Palf70Step 09-18-2020 06:03 AM

I think they (at least mine were) on the top of the spring. They may have both, but the drivers side top is what deteriorated on my 02.

hatzie 09-18-2020 08:14 AM

A good spring shop can re-arch leaf springs.
Swapping LH & RH springs is fairly easy as well.

rustytruck50 10-03-2020 11:56 AM

I think I'll give the springs a swap and see what happens....I did get a new spring insulator off of ebay the other day...thanks for the insights & I'll make sure to keep you updated