The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New AC Fan Shroud Needed for Vintage Air? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750753)

reb162 11-18-2017 12:35 AM

New AC Fan Shroud Needed for Vintage Air?

This might be stupid, but if I'm installing a Vintage Air kit into a non-AC truck, do I need to get an AC Shroud to replace my non-AC shroud I currently have. I can't find discussion on this anywhere and the install directions do not mention anything about it. I imagine the condensor of the vintage air will not fit under a non A/C shroud?

If it matters, no matter which shroud is needed, I plan to delete the engine fan and install the Jeep Electric Fan Mod using the OEM shroud (either AC or non-AC).

Mr Handy 11-18-2017 07:44 AM

Re: New AC Fan Shroud Needed for Vintage Air?

The ac condenser goes in front of the rad, not behind. I just installed a VA system in my truck a couple months ago. You will need to drill a couple of holes in the core support under the battery tray for the lines to pass through.

RustyBucket 11-18-2017 07:48 AM

The condensers on both of my trucks are attached to the fronts of the radiator supports and don't interfere with the fan shrouds. The Blazer is factory A/C, 4 core stock radiator & the GMC is aftermarket A/C, aluminum radiator. Both have 7 blade GM clutch fans.... both cool fine.

reb162 11-18-2017 09:10 AM

Great...thanks for the info guys. So it seems my existing non AC shroud will work fine. Did the factory AC condenser also go on the front of the radiator? If so, what was the reason for a different shroud for AC versus non AC from the factory? Just curious.

Stocker 11-18-2017 11:24 AM

Yep, condenser is in front of the radiator support on the passenger side. FWIW, I'm not aware of a different shroud for A/C trucks...... Different for 4WD vs 2WD, yes.

reb162 11-18-2017 11:31 AM

Interesting. I was going by LMC which lists different shroud part numbers for AC versus non-ac, a third for 4wd and a fourth for big block.

Steeveedee 11-18-2017 11:36 AM

With AC you will have a bigger fan (usually with a clutch), so the shroud will be different from a non-AC shroud.

B. W. 11-18-2017 02:14 PM

The factory A/C shroud is about 1" shorter than the non-A/C shroud. I believe it is shorter in order to clear the compressor & belt (just a guess).