The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How deep do you go? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=834944)

dirtscoots 05-30-2022 02:49 PM

How deep do you go?

1 Attachment(s)
My short term goal is to just make a running driving blazer for now. How does everyone keep from digging deeper? For instance I’m replacing head gaskets well my heads are cracked I have some down time. I decide to clean up and paint some the frame. Next thing I know I have the hole front clip off and I’m doing rust repairs. When I do find some new heads it will be more convenient to get them in place now. I guess I need to draw a line in the sand. I currently have parts on the rear the front and the interior all torn apart.

Also I have no intentions of ever using my ac I plan on taking all the ac parts out to make room is the a stupid idea? I don’t plan on ever selling but would that have a major affect on resale?

Tom Vogel 05-30-2022 11:16 PM

Re: How deep do you go?

My current build I went clear down to the frame. Because last one I didn't, and it always bugged me. But it's taken years and way too much $$
As for AC, takin it off will definitely hurt value.
I took out the AC on my current build and replaced with Vintage Air. Way more room in the engine compartment and is way more efficient.

truckster 05-30-2022 11:50 PM

I guess it depends on how much free time you have to dedicate to your truck. After mine threw a rod in 2013, I tore it down to bare frame rails from the firewall forward. Then I retired from the Army, started teaching high school, had a battle with cancer, and a few other complications came up. I got it back on the road in February of 2021...

DeadheadNM 05-31-2022 07:19 AM

I’d vote to keep the AC components in place and intact.

-Greg72 05-31-2022 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtscoots (Post 9085136)
My short term goal is to just make a running driving blazer for now. How does everyone keep from digging deeper? For instance I’m replacing head gaskets well my heads are cracked I have some down time. I decide to clean up and paint some the frame. Next thing I know I have the hole front clip off and I’m doing rust repairs. When I do find some new heads it will be more convenient to get them in place now. I guess I need to draw a line in the sand. I currently have parts on the rear the front and the interior all torn apart.

Also I have no intentions of ever using my ac I plan on taking all the ac parts out to make room is the a stupid idea? I don’t plan on ever selling but would that have a major affect on resale?

I call that the "Might As Well" syndrome.... you get far enough in, and it is hard to leave trouble spots alone and simply ignore them.

No idea how to avoid it... I have been saying that phrase for the last 14 years which probably explains why I'm still on jackstands in the garage.

-G

Thealien 05-31-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 9085300)
My current build I went clear down to the frame. Because last one I didn't, and it always bugged me. But it's taken years and way too much $$
As for AC, takin it off will definitely hurt value.
I took out the AC on my current build and replaced with Vintage Air. Way more room in the engine compartment and is way more efficient.

Do you have vintage air in a blazer? If so do you usually run the hard top? Have you used it with a soft top?

dirtscoots 05-31-2022 09:47 AM

As I look at what fixing my core support will require I find myself might as well look into a hole new one. Shipping is crazy on these bigger options I’m back to grinding and welding for now.

JMac11 05-31-2022 09:56 AM

Mess around and your Blazer will be down 10 years, ask me, I know. I went down the LS Swap rabbit hole. Got it running a while back, plenty to do, but driving it is way more fun.........

Blazerowner 05-31-2022 10:13 AM

I’m in the same boat. I’m pretty busy and have been doing an ls3 4l80 swap. It hasn’t ran in 5 years. I am however pretty close to getting it running. It’s all about how much time you have.

Tom Vogel 06-01-2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 9085392)
Do you have vintage air in a blazer? If so do you usually run the hard top? Have you used it with a soft top?

I only have a hard top.

SeventyOne 06-02-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 9086118)
I only have a hard top.

@ Tom - i'm surprised to hear you're not done with your blazer! Do you remember when i drove down to your house and bought your rotisserie in 2012?

Back to the original poster - I wil definitely agree with all the other sentiment here that your truck will be down a long time if you keep going. I started tearing mine apart in '09 and i only got it back on the road in 2019...Something to be said for upgrading and fixing WHILE you drive it. But really depends on your end goals and what you want to get out of it.

dirtscoots 06-02-2022 03:53 PM

Upgrading while driving definitely is my goal. It just seems hard for me to stop. I’m now at point I’m closer to body off the frame then actually driving

truckster 06-02-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 9085392)

I don't have Vintage Air, but I have a custom AC that I put together. The compressor and evaporator are from a 98 Silverado, and the condenser is from a 98 S10. I also upgraded the fan squirrel cage using the fan from a 2006 Liberty (someone on the board posted this idea, but I can't find the link).

Anyway, I have a soft top and the AC works just fine. With the upgraded fan, I can even feel it when the top is off. I don't know how the Vintage Air compares as far as air flow, but I think that's the key.

buckkoo 06-03-2022 08:48 AM

Definitely keep the AC components. My 72 has a stock AC system with an upgraded Sanden compressor and chills the cab just fine down here in the heat and humidity of NC.

I would expect the efficiencies of the stock, Vintage and Classic air systems to be similar and would only consider aftermarket solutions for a non-AC vehicle.

As far as how involved a restoration, it depends on how much time, experience and $$$ you have to throw at the project. I would suggest a scope of work that you can complete in 3 years. (that way it will be ready in 4). Any longer and you'll be the guy on jack stands 10 years from now.