The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day long. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759600)

Swatson 03-18-2018 11:40 AM

Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day long.

I have a 66 chevy c10, with an inline 250 motor from a 70's c10. When i try to start it cold itll just turn over and over again but won't start. I can spray starting fluid into the carb and it'll crank fine and after it warms up, it'll idle fine and I can drive it all day.
And after the engine is warm, I can turn it off and crank it again and it'll fire right up.
I've put new plugs and wires, new fuel pump(mechanical), new fuel lines from pump to carb, new fuel filter, I've rebuilt the carb which is a Rochester monojet and put a new fuel filter in the carb. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BLT gmc 03-18-2018 01:02 PM

Re: Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day lo

Weak or weaker spark and /or low on compression? Those are the two places I would start with.

shp4man 03-18-2018 01:35 PM

Re: Truck wont start without starting fluid, but after i spray it itll run all day lo

Choke working OK?

Captainfab 03-18-2018 11:24 PM

Does the carb have fuel in it when it won't start?

rvrfoot 03-18-2018 11:45 PM

Put a fuel filter on it so you can see if there is any fuel at the carb.

PGSigns 03-19-2018 06:50 AM

Have you verified the accelerator pump is working? Pull the air cleaner and pump the throttle a couple of time and look to see if you have fuel coming out. You should be able to pump it once and pull the choke and it fire right up.
Jimmy

CANUCIT 03-19-2018 09:57 AM

Filter in tank collapsed, another inline filter clogged

Swatson 03-19-2018 12:52 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I found the Ignition coil had somehow overheated and melted the wire, so it wasn't getting a spark. Changed the coil, and put new wires through it, the previous wires weren't the right gauge, I'm thinking maybe it just overloaded it. Starting great now, I never thought about spark because it was working fine before i done a rebuild on the carb. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later on.

63burban 03-19-2018 04:35 PM

Use the choke

andyh1956 03-20-2018 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swatson (Post 8215639)
Thanks for all the advice. I found the Ignition coil had somehow overheated and melted the wire, so it wasn't getting a spark. Changed the coil, and put new wires through it, the previous wires weren't the right gauge, I'm thinking maybe it just overloaded it. Starting great now, I never thought about spark because it was working fine before i done a rebuild on the carb. Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll have more questions later on.

There should be two wires to the Positive side of the coil, the 6 volt resisted wire from the switch & the 12 volt wire from the starter.