The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Leaf Spring Reduction (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=707543)

2sikStepside 05-19-2016 10:01 PM

Leaf Spring Reduction

Gonna lower my Silverado soon and I want to do about a 3/5 drop. I figure I can get a shackle and hanger kit (4") then reduce the leaf springs to get it down an extra inch or two. (I'd really like to go as low as possible without having to C-Notch) Any suggestions, thoughts, comments, or concerns would be much appreciated!

1badgmc 05-21-2016 02:17 PM

Re: Leaf Spring Reduction

If you want to go lower than 4", it doesn't matter how you get there, you're still going to need a c-notch. So, if you really don't want to notch it, then stick with your shackles and hangers and call it done. If you can accept the fact that you'll have to notch it for more than 4", I would suggest just going ahead and getting a flip kit/c-notch. The install will be easier than having to deal with hangers and it would ride better than removing leafs to get down.

2sikStepside 06-01-2016 10:37 PM

Thanks man I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and do the flip kit / c-notch. My biggest fear is puttin in all that work lowering it 4" and people thinkin I just leveled it lol

Chris95GT 06-02-2016 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sikStepside (Post 7612430)
Thanks man I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and do the flip kit / c-notch. My biggest fear is puttin in all that work lowering it 4" and people thinkin I just leveled it lol

For that, I say, F what people think.

Your truck, if you want it lowered 4 inches, lower it 4 inches. Only person your truck needs to please is yourself. lol.

Here's one of my old ones, lowered 2 in the front with spindles, and 4 in the back with shackles/hangers. I didn't want it any lower.

No notch, but the people above are right, you'll want one for any lower. I had to cut my bumpstops as it is, any lower, or with any weight in the bed, and I was hitting the frame with the axle.

http://i.imgur.com/PlBtNFg.jpg

Cape Codder 06-03-2016 10:11 PM

Besides removing leafs will soften the ride and really make a c- notch needed to keep it from bottoming out.

2sikStepside 06-30-2016 08:38 PM

Thanks man that actually looks lower than I thought. Startin to think that googling 2/4 drops aren't giving me accurate results lol

2sikStepside 08-08-2016 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris95GT (Post 7612964)
For that, I say, F what people think.

Your truck, if you want it lowered 4 inches, lower it 4 inches. Only person your truck needs to please is yourself. lol.

Here's one of my old ones, lowered 2 in the front with spindles, and 4 in the back with shackles/hangers. I didn't want it any lower.

No notch, but the people above are right, you'll want one for any lower. I had to cut my bumpstops as it is, any lower, or with any weight in the bed, and I was hitting the frame with the axle.

http://i.imgur.com/PlBtNFg.jpg

I'd love to see more pics of your 2/4 drop if you got em man, thanks!

Tom 08-09-2016 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sikStepside (Post 7640162)
Thanks man that actually looks lower than I thought. Startin to think that googling 2/4 drops aren't giving me accurate results lol

That looks alot lower then 2/4 does in person. Looks more like a 3/5 to me. Plus its a 4wd, so lowered is crazy cool.

68 TT 08-10-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1badgmc (Post 7600308)
If you want to go lower than 4", it doesn't matter how you get there, you're still going to need a c-notch. So, if you really don't want to notch it, then stick with your shackles and hangers and call it done. If you can accept the fact that you'll have to notch it for more than 4", I would suggest just going ahead and getting a flip kit/c-notch. The install will be easier than having to deal with hangers and it would ride better than removing leafs to get down.

I agree. A flip kit and C-notch is the way to go. Lowering more from there is easy if desired.

If you use it as a truck and haul stuff removing the overload spring or an intermediate leaf is a bad idea. My 89 when it was on air bags had the flip kit & C-notch plus the forward spring eye drop brackets along with single leaf springs. It was worthless without a bunch of air in the bags which raised it up close to a stock ride height. I swapped out the single leaf setup for a stock C1500 leaf stack and it was much better. Lost a couple inches of drop when aired out but well worth it for being able to use it as a truck and haul stuff with a nice stance too.