The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Complete correct '67-'72 two tone paint masking lines and two tone paint details? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=783422)

nikwho 03-17-2019 03:44 AM

Complete correct '67-'72 two tone paint masking lines and two tone paint details?

Hello all,
I have been reading every thread that I could find that discussed two tone paint schemes. After developing a headache after reading through about 30 threads and countless pages, I've decided to try to post a thread with a title that will be easily searchable and hopefully contain answers to many previously unanswered questions in the past and in other threads.

So, I am hopeful to gather details specific to correct two tone paint schemes for all '67-'72 Chevrolet and GMC trucks

I'm hoping to get a lot of detailed pictures that get into the specifics of what two tone colors were available with which base colors.

I'd love to see detailed photos of exactly how far into drip rails to mask, while prepping a truck for a two tone paint job.

How to wrap masking tape into door jambs for two tone paint?

How should two tone paint lines terminate at the front of front fenders?

How should masking terminate as you wrap the corner of the bed side, and into the tailgate?

How is a truck with two toned rockers masked and painted between the cab and the bed? I've seen some terminate the white/Ivory a little ways in between the cab and bed, but I've seen others continue the line all the way across the cab.

With '67 & '68 being the only years that received Ivory, instead of white, was the 50th Anniversary Gold/Ivory truck the only truck that would have had Ivory paint on the rockers? Or were other '68 trucks able to be ordered with Ivory on the rockers?

Were all '68-'72 two tone paint roofs the same (cab roof, A post and door window frames paint Ivory or white)?

How were the inside of the A posts painted? What about interior of cab? Any detailed photos of where all associated making lines are?

I know that this request is a tall order, but I've read through dozens of threads and thousands of posts and would love to see one thread where all of this information could be hashed out and also have photos of all associated masking lines documented. I've noticed in the vast majority of threads, requests for detailed views of masking lines are where the thread typically dies out.

Thanks in advance, everyone! :uhmk:

Nik Christian

:wop:

nikwho 03-17-2019 04:09 AM

Re: Complete correct '67-'72 two tone paint masking lines and two tone paint details?

I found this thread particularly informative:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=630462

I seem to also remember a build thread of a 50th anniversary gold/Ivory truck that got into masking line locations a little bit. I'll have to search for that more and report back.

tristan 03-17-2019 05:50 AM

Re: Complete correct '67-'72 two tone paint masking lines and two tone paint details?

Hope you can get some useful responses, or even better, some paint cut point pictures. I tried this topic last week and got nothin'.

notsolo 03-17-2019 06:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some photo's I have saved for reference, maybe someone can use these, paint divided under center of trim. No help here on masking, where to end it and placement details.

DeadheadNM 03-17-2019 08:39 AM

Take a look at my k20 build thread - the original paint photos of the cab should serve as a helpful guidel for cab paint lines. Also note what paint is needed atop the dash as that’s often overlooked. GM painted the dash top to match dash pad color in a flat finish.