The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Ceramic wax (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820923)

72c20customcamper 04-20-2021 07:44 PM

Ceramic wax

4 Attachment(s)
Well I tried some today . Washed then used a clay bar amazing how much crude comes off . Next step polished with Griots polish and then the ceramic wax all done with a flex orbital polisher and a micro fiber pad . So far I like the results

Custom 68 04-20-2021 08:54 PM

Re: Ceramic wax

That looks great. Sounds like a big job but I would say it was worth the effort!

68Timber 04-20-2021 10:45 PM

That looks great, mirror finish. I just got a Griot's catalog in the mail and I'd never heard of them before, I'll hang onto it now. I didn't know if ceramic wax was real or gimmick but a friend was telling me yesterday Brian Fuller uses it and likes it, but I'm pretty sure he was talking about the spray on and wipe off variety. Either way, yours turned out great.

Steeveedee 04-20-2021 10:56 PM

Looking good! I like the clay bar by Mother's though I'm sure that there are other brands. Amazing the carbuncles it takes off.

FleetsidePaul 04-21-2021 12:15 AM

It looks great!

Just one problem... That looks like work. :eek::exit:

Loco83 04-21-2021 12:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wasn't impressed with the Meguiars Ceramic wax, Griots 3in1 ceramic spray wax with carnauba gave better results. On my truck I like Meguiars M26 paste wax topped with Beadmaker ;)

FleetsidePaul 04-21-2021 03:09 AM

Dang that looks good. What a shine. I'm going to have to get me some of that Griots. I never heard of them before.

Then all I have to do is get someone to polish my car. Because I aint doing it.

special-K 04-21-2021 05:25 AM

There have been excellent waxes available that give incredible results for decades. The difference is in the clay bar. Can't do that real often, but on an older vehicle that has not been done it takes the paint back close to day one.

LT7A 04-21-2021 07:44 AM

Another step that makes a difference, especially on lighter colored older paint is iron fallout removal. It's amazing the iron particles that get embedded in the paint. Spray it on, agitate it, watch it turn purple as it dissolves the tiny iron particles. I do that before the clay bar and you could tell the difference in my yellow paint after just the iron remover. Of course at that point it had 38 years of iron particles stuck in it. I don't think I would bother doing it more than once a year. But that way, you dissolve any new particles you picked up and continue to dissolve the particles that have been embedded over the trucks life. I thought it was a gimmick until I watched it a few times on detailing videos. Then I did it on my 82 GMC and got better results than they did.

67C10Step 04-21-2021 08:17 AM

I've been buying stuff from Griot's Garage for years. I got turned on to them looking for a good glass polish to remove hard water spots. While their products are not cheap, I've not been disappointed in anything I've gotten either. I see a few of their products in O'Reilly Auto every now and then.

I used that same Meguires Ceramic Wax on my daughters CHR and my 4Runner last fall. Seemed to work pretty well. Have never heard of iron particle removal but will now have to check into it.

57taskforce 04-21-2021 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used the Meguiars ceramic with my polisher on my Camaro before our trip to Las Vegas motor speedway back in January. I was pretty pleased with it. The water beads pretty relentlessly.

72c20customcamper 04-21-2021 09:04 AM

It's not really abig job on the pickup doing a burban takes time. I've always used the carnuaba wax on my cars/trucks my all time favorite was gliptone carnauba but the new and improved stuff isnt that good .
I had a $20 discount at autozone and they were running a $2 discount on all ceramic products so I paid 3 bucks for it. Had always used mcquires products but I really like the griots polish and spray and shine.

I looked at the iron remover might try that next time.

Loco83 04-21-2021 02:11 PM

As everyone stated paint prep is key to a great shine, I like Mothers clay bar 2.0 to clean the paint while washing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqwJkJAQyKI

Loco83 04-21-2021 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Good Stuff. :metal:

Tom 04-21-2021 05:24 PM

Ceramic is the most over hyped product I've seen in all my years in the car sales business. Its a good wax sure, but its not the magic everyone claims it to be. I especially like the vendors who try to sell it as protecting from scratches.

72c20customcamper 04-21-2021 07:39 PM

I dont buy into the hype I just got it at a great price and gave it a shot. No coating will protect from scratches.

Think the biggest con was slick50

special-K 04-22-2021 12:44 AM

I agree on both counts. I remember the old farts saying, "That ain't nothin' but a gimmick" and now I'm old-er saying it :lol: Hey, I wasn't so old when Slick50 came out and I said it then.

Dieselwrencher 04-22-2021 06:28 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say the ceramic spray ons are a complete gimmick. My friend that has 4 Peterbilts on their farm had them professionally done last fall before harvest and it is truly amazing how well the paint didn't get beat up during last harvest. None of them had tree branch scratches after this harvest. Everyone would have after any regular year. I thought it was BS but after seeing that I believe it helps. They had their inside of their grain kart done too and the corn and beans slide right down it. We'll see how much better shape that is in after a few seasons. They do around 4500 acres a year.

Steeveedee 04-22-2021 09:59 AM

Could just be that the drivers got shiny rigs. I pointed out to one of my sisters many years ago the difference in appearance between an owner-operator's and and employee's rig, when she lived in farm country.

When I traveled for business, I'd keep my rental cars clean (and even detailed them) and turned them in when due for service. Some people drove them with no cleaning and turned them in when the rental company demanded them back.

Dieselwrencher 04-22-2021 04:11 PM

Lmfao no, that's not it. Good luck keeping anything clean during harvest.