The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Full Re-paint - replace hinges or just bushings/pins? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=812117)

evan 09-18-2020 03:27 PM

Full Re-paint - replace hinges or just bushings/pins?

I'm about to start the bodywork on my truck. To line up the panels I'm replacing the cab/core support body mount bushings and I need to address the sagging doors. Do you recommend using the hinge repair kits (bushings & pins) or replacing them with complete reproductions hinges?

mongocanfly 09-18-2020 05:09 PM

Re: Full Re-paint - replace hinges or just bushings/pins?

pins and bushing should fix you up.....unless the bushings are wore thru and the holes are egg shaped

TKCR 09-18-2020 06:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
If your doing a full repaint, I say replace the entire hinges.
Last year, I was just going to do a pins & bushings change. But one of the first ones I did, I realized the hinge was bent. Went and started on the other side, and that one was on upside down. The S hinge was upside down!(pic #4) So I ended up replacing all the hinges with new. But of course I had to paint them. But your in a better position, with doing a full repaint.

EricU 09-18-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8810194)
If your doing a full repaint, I say replace the entire hinges.
Last year, I was just going to do a pins & bushings change. But one of the first ones I did, I realized the hinge was bent. Went and started on the other side, and that one was on upside down. The S hinge was upside down!(pic #4) So I ended up replacing all the hinges with new...

TK or anyone else, what hinges did you use?

* Do you know if GM still sells the OEMs?

I have found Dorman replacement hinges for the front doors?

* Are the Crew Cab rear door hinges the same?

TKCR 09-18-2020 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 8810237)
TK or anyone else, what hinges did you use?

* Do you know if GM still sells the OEMs?

I have found Dorman replacement hinges for the front doors?

* Are the Crew Cab rear door hinges the same?

GM still makes the pins & bushings, but not the hinges. I got mine from Classic Parts. You can see the box in the background of one of the pictures.
Sorry but I can’t say for sure on the rear Crew Cab hinges. But I would think they are the same as the front, but can’t say for sure.

mMad Dawg 10-01-2020 11:02 PM

The rear hinges on a Crew Cab are totally different.

69Tom 10-02-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8810238)
GM still makes the pins & bushings, but not the hinges. I got mine from Classic Parts. You can see the box in the background of one of the pictures.
Sorry but I can’t say for sure on the rear Crew Cab hinges. But I would think they are the same as the front, but can’t say for sure.

How are the hinges from Classic Parts? Also about to do a repaint and might as well change them out. For the most part, I generally dislike reproduction parts, but sometimes they work ok.

TKCR 10-02-2020 06:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Tom (Post 8817085)
How are the hinges from Classic Parts? Also about to do a repaint and might as well change them out. For the most part, I generally dislike reproduction parts, but sometimes they work ok.

They were just fine. I hit them lightly with the sandblaster, then sprayed them with etching primer and then followed with paint.

chrismoore701 10-05-2020 07:30 AM

I rebuilt my 79 and just replaced the pins and bushings. I think a cool touch, I left the hinges the original color of the truck to remind me what I started with. Hard to see so does not look bad and a cool little touch of history

blazer2007 10-07-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8817134)
They were just fine. I hit them lightly with the sandblaster, then sprayed them with etching primer and then followed with paint.

I thought you could not mix those 2 paints ? Isn,t the rust paint oil base.

EricU 10-07-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8819267)
I thought you could not mix those 2 paints ? Isn,t the rust paint oil base.

The Dupli-Color Self Etching primer is a lacquer based product.

Dupli-Color Perfect Match spray bombs are also lacquer based, which is pretty forgiving and fast drying and is very compatible with the self-etching primer as long as it is allowed to completely dry (off gas)

The problem that can occur is trying to put a poly-urethane automotive paint over a lacquer coating.

TKCR 10-07-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 8819343)

Dupli-Color Perfect Match spray bombs are also lacquer based, which is pretty forgiving and fast drying and is very compatible with the self-etching primer as long as it is allowed to completely dry (off gas)

The problem that can occur is trying to put a poly-urethane automotive paint over a lacquer coating.

Thank you for answering that question. I know I researched it and made sure it was ok to use those together. And it was fast drying.

blazer2007 10-08-2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 8819343)

But is says rustoleum etch primer, either way it worked