The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What will they adjust to fix this alignment problem? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=574413)

pritch 04-06-2013 10:12 PM

What will they adjust to fix this alignment problem?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55...psd13876ca.jpg

I let this go too long and now I need to deal with it. I didn't really notice until my tire was ruined. This is the rt side. The truck steers fine and the left side is wearing normally. I does have new ball joints but I never have changed tie-rods or anything else. This in on the inside of the tire.

k_n_browning 04-06-2013 10:24 PM

Re: What will they adjust to fix this alignment problem?

is it like that all the way around?Or is it just in some places?Cant see much the way it sets now.But from the way it looks like it sliped a belt.

pritch 04-06-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_n_browning (Post 5995337)
is it like that all the way around?Or is it just in some places?Cant see much the way it sets now.But from the way it looks like it sliped a belt.

Oh yeah-all the way around. I've had my eye on it for the last couple of weeks. When the wires started showing through, I put the spare on.

oklalawnboy 04-06-2013 11:31 PM

Looks like a camber problem to me. If it was toe in the truck would pull one way or the other.

GMCPaul 04-07-2013 08:46 AM

Its a camber problem which is caused by either a bad ball joint or joints or improper alignment. If the worn edge is to the outside edge on the tire when mounted then it has to much positive camber if the edge shown is actually the inside of tire when mounted it has to much negative camber. So if the ball joints are good ( should be since just replaced but we've seen the specs vary so much from one parts store to the next on the same ball joints you can't always be sure ) and if this wear is on the outside of the tire you need to remove some shims from behind the upper a-arm on that side if its worn on the inside edge then to correct the negative camber you need to add shims behind the upper a-arm cross-shaft.
Paul @ GMCPauls
PS- Its definitely not a tie rod problem though as the tie rods don't affect camber.

Boog 04-07-2013 11:16 AM

If you do add or remove shims to the upper control arm shaft be sure to adjust the toe in also. As you move the upper control arm inward or outward the toe in changes also so you have to keep check on that as well.
A visit to a front end shop will put it back on the numbers but you can get it close by using a tape measure and carpenters level.

Tx Firefighter 04-07-2013 11:17 AM

I fully agree with Paul.

But, that is about as bad of camber wear as I've ever seen. I can't tell from the pic whether its worn on the inside or outside, but that much positive or negative camber should be very readily visible to the eye of any person looking at the truck. When the wheels are pointing straight ahead, do you see it leaning in or out at the top ?
Posted via Mobile Device

cdowns 04-07-2013 12:01 PM

could very well be a bent control arm from bangin a curb or minor bump type of accident in its 40year history

Heavy Evy 04-07-2013 12:20 PM

It could also be toed out. My truck did this to a tire and it was because of too much toe. Toe will never make a vehicle pull. Does the truck pull to the right? If it has that much positive camber to wear the tire than it should pull hard especially on our wonderful utah roads.

pritch 04-07-2013 12:51 PM

Thanks, guys.

Yeah-it really don't pull. I mean, if I let go of the steering wheel on the freeway, it's a couple of tenths before I need to make corrections. I am going to get it aligned next week, but I wanted to know if they try to BS me. I do have new ball joints-well, they're 2 years old now. I figured it was the shims thing, but just wanted some other opinions.:metal:

biggestjohn 04-07-2013 12:52 PM

Have your control arm bushings checked. Tires usually tilt out like that due to component wear.

Wrenchbender Ret 04-07-2013 02:16 PM

Take a hard look at the lower control control arm bushings. They are hard to check by push/pull on the wheels because there is always pressure on them. Crawl under & see if the bushings are off center.

Robznob11 04-07-2013 02:39 PM

one thing no one mentioned. if your wheel bearing is going out the wheel will lean in and wear like this and some times gets mistaked for and alignment problem till the rotor welds to the spindle or worse falls off. if you walk up to the truck and shake the tire it will have noticeable movement and from the front the wheel will like it leans in at the top! not saying its the problem but it could be

slammed1 04-07-2013 05:15 PM

Toe in or out is the fastest tire wearing angle with Camber being second. Caster isnt an actual tire wearing angle. A combination of a toe out and negative camber would create excessive inside edge wear. Always check for worn parts before an alignment is done.

buckskins4ever 04-07-2013 05:42 PM

Funny thing is no matter what the issue is, you arent going to want to diagnose of fix it yourself. These trucks are not fun to align. Your upper A arm, if not been removed in 40 years, will be alot of fun to adjust.
I personally would go to a Midas. You will get a FREE estimate and they will show you what the problem is. Then fix the problems if so desired.