The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   5.3 LS1 in my '68 stepside!?! Help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=103714)

Quagmire 06-15-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86 Red_Bowtie
Pic's of a LS1 Motor in a 68 Chevy

that is a clean truck there. if i'm not mistaken, i got some pics of that exact truck at the starbird's show in okc back in january.

do you know who owns it?

Vince M 06-15-2004 08:11 PM

A couple of places for info on the LS1.

LS1.com
LS2.com

They have forums and parts for sale much like this site. I got my wiring diagrams off of ebay for a fraction of the original cost. There are also VATS bypasses available and O2 sensor bypasses if you eliminate the catalytic converters.
No matter what the PCM is going to have to have some programming. You can send it to someone but for about the same price you can get the software and cable if your computer savy(laptop needed). Most of the software is keyed in some form or fashion. Some are VIN specific, some are model and year specific. Some of the handhelds have limited functions and some are only readers. I'm probably gong to go with the software which will alow tuning the motor over and over. You'll need to change the gear ratio, tire diameter etc in the PCM. Visit the websites above and you'll get a good idea of what stuff works and what doesn't.

OK nuff for now. :D

Quagmire 07-07-2004 11:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quagmire
that is a clean truck there. if i'm not mistaken, i got some pics of that exact truck at the starbird's show in okc back in january.

do you know who owns it?

well i lied, not the same truck i was thinking of. either way, it's still pretty trick ride... check it out!:)

piecesparts 07-08-2004 08:56 AM

The plans are to put a LS-1/4L60E motor/tranny combo, out of a 2000 'F' Body, with a cam upgrade and intake changeout in a 1968 Chevy short bed. The finishing toucheswill be Street and Performance, to get a one place fits all deal. They have their own Wiring harness and electronics Guru, that can match the PCM to the cam profile. The engine will be painted to match the exterior truck color and the intake will be polished along with the valve covers. This all will be run through the 3:73 posi rear gears. I am always looking for other installs for ideas.

FirstGen 07-08-2004 12:18 PM

Good plans. I have a 6.0 liter LS1 and a T-56 6 speed going in my 68. The truck motors 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 are considerably cheaper than the 5.7 and have a better intake although it isn't nearly as pretty as the LS1/6. All the LS1/ Gen III motors have interchangable bottom ends along with valve train parts and MANY others. You might look into other options for the wiring harness, I am having one built by Jared at Current Performance (currentperformance.com). He builds these from scratch all the time to give you the cleanest look possible and can give you any length of lead you need for your PCM (if you want to mount it in cab or whereever. Speed Scence Wiring is another one.

Just some ideas...

67ChevyC10Stepside 07-08-2004 01:47 PM

heres 1 i found

the other one i haves pic is too big but ill send more to anyone who wants it. the truck is a huge 4 door with modern dash and suicide doors.

Quagmire 07-08-2004 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstGen
Good plans. I have a 6.0 liter LS1 and a T-56 6 speed going in my 68. The truck motors 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 are considerably cheaper than the 5.7 and have a better intake although it isn't nearly as pretty as the LS1/6. All the LS1/ Gen III motors have interchangable bottom ends along with valve train parts and MANY others. You might look into other options for the wiring harness, I am having one built by Jared at Current Performance (currentperformance.com). He builds these from scratch all the time to give you the cleanest look possible and can give you any length of lead you need for your PCM (if you want to mount it in cab or whereever. Speed Scence Wiring is another one.

Just some ideas...

even the 6.0 is cheaper than the 5.7? well, not around here anyway. maybe i need to make a trip down to dallas... you guys have the hookup down there at a salvage yard or something?