The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   My New Fuel Tank Conversion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=522264)

KellerMAC 04-30-2012 09:36 AM

My New Fuel Tank Conversion

5 Attachment(s)
I just recently completed my fuel tank conversion from in-cab to under bed. I used a 69 Camaro tank and used the neck and rubber grommet from the original cab side to dress up the filler tube conversion. It was a very simple conversion, and btw, I converted the original fuel tank to a bolted-in speaker box. I'll post pictures of that later. Works like a charm!

Hope you enjoy it!

bgwss 04-30-2012 10:59 AM

Re: My New Fuel Tank Conversion

I like it did you just use the camaro straps to put in the frame or fabricate them?

KellerMAC 04-30-2012 12:43 PM

Thanks, No, I just used steel straps from the hardware store.

54belair 04-30-2012 09:04 PM

Nice job ! I just ordered my camaro tank yesterday.

spatz 04-30-2012 10:27 PM

who are you guys ordering the tanks from? I'm looking forward to this with my truck.

54belair 05-01-2012 07:59 AM

I ordered mine off ebay from a place called tazman (I think) I gave $118 for a supposedly oem "approved" tank. I still have to order the sending unit. I just needed the tank now for fabrication.

54belair 05-01-2012 08:01 AM

Actually------the seller is called tamraz-------------at least I remembered that it started with a T!!!!

Putter 05-01-2012 08:17 AM

Looks like you got $7 worth of flat washers stacked up there on that strap-mount! (just pickin')

Any chance of getting a photo from the rear....standing back a ways. Just curious about how it hangs down. I know the blazer tanks hang down a little bit.

67chevemall 05-01-2012 04:50 PM

Nice job! please show the speaker tank too!
And love the stack of washers! lol

jondancer 05-01-2012 10:11 PM

anymore pics of the underside? i plan to do this same swap

KellerMAC 05-01-2012 10:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I will post some more underside pictures tomorrow when the sun is out. I like the way you guys picked up on my excessive use of washers - I am going to replace them with steel tubes but this was all I had at the time.

Per your request, here are some pics of the original fuel tank that we converted into a speaker box. We added baffles, and wiring in the tank. We are still playing with the speakers as we are going to install larger ones soon.

I welcome your comments.

Thanks for the already mentioned comments.

LEX 05-02-2012 12:07 PM

Bump for underneath pics. I think I'm going to do the Camaro/Chevelle tank conversion. I like the idea of not having to cut any holes for the fill.

fasttech 05-02-2012 06:18 PM

Very creative and smart solution to an old problem. I have a fuel injected motor so I purchased a custom tank with a built in fuel pump and all, but if I was running a carb motor I would copy your plan. How much of a metal sound do you get from using the old tank as a speaker box? Was planning to build a custom box out of MDF, but I still have my old tanks so it may be of some use to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

rogergodding 05-02-2012 07:28 PM

Speaker Tank!! Awesome!

88fordf150 05-02-2012 07:30 PM

Can you see the tank from the rear of the truck? If so how much lower is it than the bumper?

OldCreek 05-02-2012 07:55 PM

Speaker Tank! Rock On!

You got to let us know how that sounds!

Sorry for the hijack....but we gotta know!

jocko 05-02-2012 10:34 PM

i hope the sound doesn't just bounce around and come out your old gas tank fill hole! Very innovative idea!! I TOO would like to see a pic from directly behind the truck at bumper height when you get a chance. This looks like a good swap candidate.
Thanks for posting.

KellerMAC 05-07-2012 11:29 PM

The speaker tank sounds great! We cut out the back (for maintenance) and installed baffles in the tank. No bouncing here.

I will post pics of the tank and the rear bumper.

Thanks for the comments.

KellerMac

BigRed76 05-17-2012 01:03 AM

Any pics of it from behind the truck?

smokinstang70 05-17-2012 01:53 PM

Awesome Idea fo the Tank SPeaker Box... I may have to look into that.. Please post pictures!!

68monster 05-17-2012 05:15 PM

bump for under pics! plan to install my fuel cell soon and curious what you used for lines/pump. good post:clap:

KellerMAC 05-24-2012 08:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok Guys,

I finally was able to take some time and get you some under pictures of my rear mounted gas tank. Once again, this is a tank from a 60 Camaro and it was fairly easy to install.

Hope you enjoy!

Have a safe and fun weekend!

KellerMac

54belair 05-24-2012 09:52 AM

What was the spacer width that you had to use between the tank top and the bottom of the frame?
Ive read that some use 1 1/2", some 2" and 3"?
I like the idea of the neck extension instead of moving the tank to the rear.

KellerMAC 05-24-2012 10:23 AM

It is about 2" on both side, I used washers as shims so I could add them on both sides to get it level. The neck extension was out of necessity as we mounted the tank with the bed off and did not know the exact location of the bumper. But after seeing it all in place, I like the fact the tank is set back a ways from the bumper. So, I would recommend the neck extension.

I do have a question for the group - when I go to put gas in the tank, it is a tedious process. Some pumps are too strong and it runs a seconds and shuts off, and I have slow feed it and it sometimes drips on the pavement. I heard that if I add a long rubber tube on the vent spigot of the filler neck, then it will help with fuel back pressure. Any thoughts on this and any thoughts what I can do to reduce this problem?

Thanks in advance,

KellerMac

MrSchaeferPants 05-24-2012 11:12 AM

Very nice, I wished they never stopped putting the fill spout there. My Olds was the same, it's so nice to be able to go to any gas lane that's open. Great work, gotta add that to the list to do.