The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Rear drum squeel, how do you guys make it stop???? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=676833)

Tom 07-17-2015 04:40 PM

Rear drum squeel, how do you guys make it stop????

The rear drums on my 98 have been squeeling pretty much the entire time I've owned the truck. I've gone threw 3 sets of shoes, two of hardware, wheel cylinders, and a set of new drums and having them turned all trying to get rid of it. I finally relized its the backing plate of the shoe rubbing againts the backing plate of the drum. If I put some grease in between these points I can get rid of the squeel for a day at most. I'm at the point where either my brain breaks and I murder the axle with an axe or something else manly, or I replace them with disks which I can't afford. Anyone else have this problem? Its really annoying, none of my 73-87's ever had this problem!

Restrorob 07-17-2015 05:36 PM

Re: Rear drum squeel, how do you guys make it stop????

Tom,

I'd try a little Anti-Seize on the backing plate contact pads, it won't wear off or wash off in rainy driving.....

Tom 07-17-2015 08:35 PM

Do you think thats all it will take? I've already tried spray white lithium and heavy synthetic bearing grease and both wore out within a day.

95 S_Trucker 07-17-2015 10:42 PM

Anti seize x2. I do that on every brake job. And in 30,000 miles, the anti seize is still there. It's under a little bit of brake dust, but it's still there doing its job.

Cape Codder 07-18-2015 06:33 AM

I use bearing grease and mine don't make any noise. It's been almost two years since I did rear brakes.

IADC43 07-19-2015 09:44 PM

Not to sound like a dick, but grease and brakes don't work well together usually.
Doesn't it sound more like a shim problem with the axle?

special-K 07-20-2015 06:32 AM

I doubt it's as simple as changing what you use to lube between the shoe and backing plate, if it only helps for one day using other than anti-seize.

Cape Codder 07-20-2015 12:28 PM

Look for shiny spots where something could be rubbing. Any shiny rings inside the drum? Any marks on the shoes? Maybe try tightening a couple lug nuts without the wheel and see if you feel anything when turning the drum by hand.

franken 07-20-2015 12:31 PM

Slightly bevel the edges of the shoes.

Tom 07-20-2015 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 7247203)
Look for shiny spots where something could be rubbing. Any shiny rings inside the drum? Any marks on the shoes? Maybe try tightening a couple lug nuts without the wheel and see if you feel anything when turning the drum by hand.

Yes, there are shiny spots. I put grease on them, or in the case of yesterday I tried anti-sieze. Stopped for a bit but the noise came back eventually.

The only thing keeping me from putting the in-expensive NBS rear disks on is the e-brake. I've been told the e-brake cable setup is different and not compatible, but nobody has told me why. Anyone know what the difference between 88-98 and 99+ is?

special-K 07-20-2015 09:59 PM

God question. I don't know why you couldn't cut cable and clamp a new end on...or have them custom made.

Cape Codder 07-21-2015 07:52 AM

If you have shiny spots what is rubbing to cause them? You need to eliminate the rub not lubricate it. The last thing I would do to my truck is go disc. I havn't seen a disc setup with a decent trouble free parking brake. The rears do about 30 percent of stopping and drums have worked for years. Unless you are racing roundy round or hauling heavy loads in hilly regions they are not needed and in the end will probably be more trouble.

travlinman 12-20-2015 11:07 PM

Tom.
Ever find a solution to this problem? My 97 Silverado has this problem and it's driving me nuts.

Spastik Monkey 12-21-2015 12:53 AM

Anti-sieze. All I use for any brake job.

Or do a disc conversion

Tom 12-21-2015 01:27 PM

Yes I did. Stop backing back half of truck into the lake launching and picking up jetskis. Otherwise no, I get maybe a week of peace before they start up again.

travlinman 12-21-2015 03:59 PM

Can pinion angle play any part ? Mine made more noise after I lowared it with a flip kit. I've cleaned everything and replaced the drums. Depending on what I do I get a couple hrs to a couple days of silence