The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Buy c-notch or make my own? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=219096)

mtm_seven 12-10-2006 07:04 PM

Buy c-notch or make my own?

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into notching the rear of my '67 for bags and wonder if it's worth paying for the kit or just fabbing some for myself.

Anyone made their own C-Notch kit? Horror stories? Maybe I'm just a cheep MoFo but I wonder if I could spend that money someplace else.

Comments?

action 12-10-2006 08:55 PM

Re: Buy c-notch or make my own?

I don't know about anyone else but I am going to fab my own.
Jack

BigShoe24 12-10-2006 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
KpComponents makes a great kit. Its a little $$$$, but looks great.

jimmydean 12-10-2006 09:55 PM

I have seen pictures of some solid ones around here. Just get 1/4" thick 4" or so pipe, cut it in half, and weld it in.

I got the CPP bolt-in notch because I want mine as beefy as possible. I will weld it in once it's bolted to make it better than stock.

jlaird 12-10-2006 10:05 PM

My vote is to make it yourself!

action 12-10-2006 11:01 PM

I am going to do just what jimmydean said but was thinking 5".Add a little
1/4" plate and done.
Jack

jimmydean 12-10-2006 11:28 PM

Sounds like a plan. 4" was a guess, I would think 5" or so would work.

N2TRUX 12-10-2006 11:45 PM

You doing a C-notch or a step notch? If your just doing a C-notch then the pipe will work just fine. Just be sure to box the inside of the frame too...:)

el curioso 12-11-2006 12:30 AM

If you know how to weld and know how to fab go head and do it It might be the swame as the one that you will buy but you have the admiration and pride of saying i made it all work from stock.

MY two cents..

abadsvt 12-11-2006 01:21 AM

I think you should try and make it yourself. It is amazing what you can accomplish by trying it your self. Good luck and post pics when you are done.

Josh

gringoloco 12-11-2006 03:12 AM

CPP notch is nice though, and only $100. Takes all the guesswork out of it though- some of the fun too...

C10-Driver 12-11-2006 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 1939663)
CPP notch is nice though, and only $100. Takes all the guesswork out of it though- some of the fun too...

I would agree that the pre-fab notch kits are a good way to go. Depends what you consider your time is worth. Spending $100 might save you a lot of time in the end.

I am in the process of cutting out my custom-built c-notch and installing a pre-fab one. We "guessed" a little incorrectly on the pipe diameter and placement of the notch. If you consider doing things twice as being fun, I guess I'm having a blast.

Shane 12-11-2006 12:13 PM

Buy it, it's definitely worth the price vs. the time invested in doing it yourself.

entourageguy 12-11-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigShoe24 (Post 1938996)
KpComponents makes a great kit. Its a little $$$$, but looks great.

Hey Big Shoe
I'm not trying to be nosey but by the pic it looks like the notches have not been put in the same way..
Brian:cool:

ctg611 12-11-2006 09:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the C notch's I did on my 66 GMC. Took pipe, cut in half, cut frame, placed in pipe and then boxed in the frame.

mtm_seven 12-11-2006 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming.
With the pipe method, how low can you get the truck? I'm not looking to scrape the ground but want to be able to match whatever front height that I use.

The plan as of now is 2.5 drop spindles and cut one loop from the spring in the front with bags and a c-notch in the rear. Does anyone think I'll have trouble getting low enuff in the back?

mtm_seven 12-11-2006 10:22 PM

Please take the time to read the rules before posting here-

XI. All For Sale posts shall have a price or prices, as well as your
location. No bids or auctions allowed here!!! If you don't know the
price of what you are selling, then you should do some research. If a Moderator or Administrator here asks you to post price(s) and you have not within a 12 hour time frame, they will delete your thread, period.

XIV. As of October 15th 2005 subscribing members will be the only ones permitted to post for sale and want to buy ads on any classified section of this site. All other rules of buying and selling still apply. 67-72chevytrucks.com, its administrators or staff are not responsible for any transactions on or off the forums. We will work hard to ensure you a smooth transaction, and help in the event you may need it, but all for sale and trade areas are buyer beware. Any persons who have misrepresented an item, lie about an item, fail to deliver, or are in violation of any of the rules will forfeit there subscription fees and be banned from 67-72chevytrucks.com

The Forum staff would like to encourage you to become a subscribing member. Your support will be greatly appreciated.

gringoloco 12-11-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtm_seven (Post 1940561)
Thanks for the replies guys, keep 'em coming.
With the pipe method, how low can you get the truck? I'm not looking to scrape the ground but want to be able to match whatever front height that I use.

The plan as of now is 2.5 drop spindles and cut one loop from the spring in the front with bags and a c-notch in the rear. Does anyone think I'll have trouble getting low enuff in the back?

Nope. Should be perfect. You will need the notch. -Chris

Inthuwind 12-12-2006 09:23 AM

I too have the pipe C notch with a bump stop. It's pretty low IMO. Cheaper route without sacrificing durability. I have to box mine in still. Not hard to do, just be accurate with your measuring and cutting.

laidout69 12-13-2006 03:48 PM

i say make it your self. i made my own. thats wut called custom haha

67Fleet 12-13-2006 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by entourageguy (Post 1940201)
Hey Big Shoe
I'm not trying to be nosey but by the pic it looks like the notches have not been put in the same way..
Brian:cool:

It's an optical illusion that they look that way due to the angle of the notches, as they follow the natural contours of the frame. It plays tricks on your eyes.

KAILUAZ 12-14-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Fleet (Post 1943383)
It's an optical illusion that they look that way due to the angle of the notches, as they follow the natural contours of the frame. It plays tricks on your eyes.

I don't see how that could be, looks like the pass side is backwards.

Alvin 12-14-2006 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAILUAZ (Post 1944203)

Looks fine to me. But that is the reason I don't like step notches on these trucks. If I were interested in going that low, I'd back-half it.

XXL 12-14-2006 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KAILUAZ (Post 1944203)

This is the same truck...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1165220618