The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   LS factory cruise control hook up (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=511477)

truckzilla 11-29-2013 12:21 AM

Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

Can't wait to see if I can do this with my 2008 Pontiac G8GT conversion!

Daaaanz67 11-30-2013 03:31 AM

Yoooooou caaaaaaan doooooooo itttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

socorob 12-06-2013 04:10 PM

This was a great writeup, thank you so much. I have a question about using rocker/toggle/pushbutton switches instead of the GM stalk. My LS is going into a Datsun so I don't have a place to mount a stalk.I drew a photo of the wiring diagram I think is correct. Could someone verify it please? Thanks!

socorob 12-06-2013 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to attach the drawing. Sorry for it being so sloppy, I just did it quickly.

ls1nova71 12-06-2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socorob (Post 6405118)
. Could someone verify it please? Thanks!

That looks correct to me. Nice drawing by the way!

socorob 12-06-2013 07:16 PM

Thanks! Couldn't have done it without you. Now to start wiring.

socorob 12-23-2013 08:53 AM

I may have missed it, but what size fuse did GM use on the cruise control circuit?

ls1nova71 12-24-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socorob (Post 6431236)
I may have missed it, but what size fuse did GM use on the cruise control circuit?

I probably should have included this info in the first post. If I can figure out how, I will go back and edit it. But to answer your question, there should be two 10 amp fuses, one on the wire going to D and one on the wire going to G on the cruise module.

JJH Jimmy 12-24-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6432643)
I probably should have included this info in the first post. If I can figure out how, I will go back and edit it. But to answer your question, there should be two 10 amp fuses, one on the wire going to D and one on the wire going to G on the cruise module.

ls1nova, what fuses should be used on a DBW application and where should they go? Thanks.

solidaxel 12-24-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6432966)
ls1nova, what fuses should be used on a DBW application and where should they go? Thanks.

Thanks, I need to follow that one as mine is a piece together rocker style on- off switch and push button stalk only with DBW 2003 5.3

ls1nova71 12-24-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6432966)

10 amp fuse on the wire powering up the switches. The light blue wire going to pin C1-6 on the TAC module is also fused with a 15 amp fuse, but since you will be tapping power off your brake switch, it would already be fused through the original brake light fuse, so you don't need to add another one.

socorob 12-24-2013 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would this be correct?

JJH Jimmy 12-24-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6433045)
10 amp fuse on the wire powering up the switches. The light blue wire going to pin C1-6 on the TAC module is also fused with a 15 amp fuse, but since you will be tapping power off your brake switch, it would already be fused through the original brake light fuse, so you don't need to add another one.

Thank you!

ls1nova71 12-24-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socorob (Post 6433099)
Would this be correct?

Actually the wire going to "G" wouldn't need a dedicated fuse since it would be fused at the original brake light fuse before the switch.

socorob 12-24-2013 01:43 PM

Thanks, I just thought you were being redundant for extra protection.

1965Impala 04-24-2014 09:47 AM

ls1nova71, in your hand drawn diagram in your first post, you indicate that the "J" is not necessary for the cruise to work. Does that mean it is optional or that it should not be connected? Just out of curisosity, what does the "cruise engagment signal" do? I assume that it is the Cruise Module telling the PCM that the cruise is engaged, but what is the PCM doing with that information? Thanks for all of the great information.

ls1nova71 04-24-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1965Impala (Post 6643865)
ls1nova71, in your hand drawn diagram in your first post, you indicate that the "J" is not necessary for the cruise to work. Does that mean it is optional or that it should not be connected? Just out of curisosity, what does the "cruise engagment signal" do? I assume that it is the Cruise Module telling the PCM that the cruise is engaged, but what is the PCM doing with that information? Thanks for all of the great information.

I've heard that there are different shift tables for when the cruise is engaged, however, I hooked that wire up on both my truck and my car, and couldn't tell any difference what so ever. I suspect it also sends a signal to the instrument cluster, which is a module it's self, and is what will disengage the cruise when the shift lever is moved into neutral while driving with the cruise on. I have the factory 5.3 NSS mounted on the transmission, and all the wires are hooked up, and it does not disengage when shifted into neutral. Not a big deal since it seems totally unnatural to do that anyway, but I've tested it and it's the same on both of my cars, it will rev until it hits the rev limiter if you don't shut it down first. Also, as far as I know, all aftermarket cruise controls will do the same thing.

1965Impala 04-24-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 6643966)
I've heard that there are different shift tables for when the cruise is engaged, however, I hooked that wire up on both my truck and my car, and couldn't tell any difference what so ever. I suspect it also sends a signal to the instrument cluster, which is a module it's self, and is what will disengage the cruise when the shift lever is moved into neutral while driving with the cruise on. I have the factory 5.3 NSS mounted on the transmission, and all the wires are hooked up, and it does not disengage when shifted into neutral. Not a big deal since it seems totally unnatural to do that anyway, but I've tested it and it's the same on both of my cars, it will rev until it hits the rev limiter if you don't shut it down first. Also, as far as I know, all aftermarket cruise controls will do the same thing.

Got it. Thanks for the quick reply!

chipflyer 04-30-2014 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great thread with lots of great info! I have a new wrinkle though and I will say that after looking at lots of info about adding this cruise control I have worked myself into a state of confusion.

I am adding a 2002 5.3 to my truck. I hadn't originally planned to add cruise but it seems pretty simple, I have it and its now part of the build. I have built the relay circuit shown that Brendan shows on lt1swap.com to send 12v to the PCM (TCC) when I hit the brakes, simple enough.

Now my question is can I use this same circuit for the cruise solution by tying (pin G) into the cold side stop lamp between relay post 85 (circled in red)? Relay post 30 (12v to TCC) could then also be tied into terminal D on the cruise harness for power until the brake pedal is pushed, correct?

It would seem to me I can do this with the original 2-terminal brake switch with little modification and keep things fairly clean and both the TCC and cruise would get what they both need to work correctly.

Am I missing something though? thoughts?

ls1nova71 04-30-2014 10:10 AM

^^^ Yes, that should work fine. You worded your second paragraph backwards, it cuts power to the TCC when brakes are applied, but we get the idea. ;)

chipflyer 04-30-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, that should work fine. You worded your second paragraph backwards, it cuts power to the TCC when brakes are applied, but we get the idea.
Yep, I got that wrong. Should have been:

"when I hit the brakes, no power to TCC or Pin D, simple enough".

Thanks for replying ls1nova71, I was hoping you would take a look and chime in.

Jeff

atltd4x4 05-13-2014 10:00 PM

Do you have any more of the cruise levers? I have 05 Gen 3 DBW.

atltd4x4 05-18-2014 10:27 PM

Did you get my PM ?

ls1nova71 05-18-2014 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atltd4x4 (Post 6679243)
Did you get my PM ?

:dohh: PM sent

chevydog66 07-06-2014 05:57 PM

My cruise control quit working. Everything seems to be getting power and wired correctly by using a test light. 1 question, the yellow vss wire, should that have 12v power when using a test light?