The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Cardinal vs Snake (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=675785)

DPowers 07-05-2015 09:36 PM

Cardinal vs Snake

5 Attachment(s)
Have a pair of cardinals that built a nest right off my rear deck.

DPowers 07-05-2015 09:40 PM

Re: Cardinal vs Snake

3 Attachment(s)
This afternoon, they were raising quite the ruckus and found out why...he was relocated.

dan42 07-05-2015 10:50 PM

Cool. Dont see many snakes like that out here.

tommys72 07-06-2015 12:45 AM

Didn't kill it did ya? They are good snakes. Better than a copper-head or rattler

special-K 07-06-2015 06:43 AM

Great pictures! I know the ruckus you mean. I was hearing that the other day and I was the cause. Every time I walked by the big lilac bush they'd carry on. I looked in there and saw a little fledgling that had left the nest...that wasn't in that bush. I swear that little thing hadn't moved all night. It was in the exact same spot the next morning. I steered clear so to not upset mamma and poppa. Those birds could teach a lesson or two about watching over your children to some humans. I don't like seeing snakes....such creepy things. But it's a good thing to have a black snake in your yard. I know some don't agree, but I was always told if you have one of them you won't have any poisonous snakes. True or not, you will have far less mice, rats, and other small rodents. Not sure I still have one or not anymore. It made it's route along the fence line hidden by the day lilies and across the road to the overgrow bottom land along the creek. Earlier in the spring I saw a 5-6 footer run over right there. I'm sure another will come along to take it's place (or I'm fooling myself thinking there aren't dozens). I know one thing, they don't want to see you any more than you want to see them. They keep clear of us as best they can.

DPowers 07-06-2015 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommys72 (Post 7231952)
Didn't kill it did ya? They are good snakes. Better than a copper-head or rattler

Nope- just put him into the woods about 50 yards away. Haven't seen any copperheads or rattlers- that would be a different story.

DPowers 07-06-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7232009)
Great pictures! I know the ruckus you mean. I was hearing that the other day and I was the cause. Every time I walked by the big lilac bush they'd carry on. I looked in there and saw a little fledgling that had left the nest...that wasn't in that bush. I swear that little thing hadn't moved all night. It was in the exact same spot the next morning. I steered clear so to not upset mamma and poppa. Those birds could teach a lesson or two about watching over your children to some humans. I don't like seeing snakes....such creepy things. But it's a good thing to have a black snake in your yard. I know some don't agree, but I was always told if you have one of them you won't have any poisonous snakes. True or not, you will have far less mice, rats, and other small rodents. Not sure I still have one or not anymore. It made it's route along the fence line hidden by the day lilies and across the road to the overgrow bottom land along the creek. Earlier in the spring I saw a 5-6 footer run over right there. I'm sure another will come along to take it's place (or I'm fooling myself thinking there aren't dozens). I know one thing, they don't want to see you any more than you want to see them. They keep clear of us as best they can.

Have at least one pair of them around the house and shed. Have seen about 6 total this year- assume they are the same ones.
Had a house wren nest, but I think the Bluejays got them. Don't really care for Bluejays.

TJ's Chevy 07-06-2015 10:34 AM

I ain't seeing sight nor tail of a snake in some time where I live...course I haven't looked for one either, but we used to see them frequently in the garden. Not that big either. haha

truckster 07-06-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7232009)
I was always told if you have one of them you won't have any poisonous snakes.

Having grown up right next to a lake in North Carolina, I can tell you that water moccasins can be jet black. Not a good snake to have in your yard.

72kool 07-07-2015 04:54 PM

ok, i'll ask the stupid question, what kind of snake is that?

DPowers 07-07-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72kool (Post 7233529)

Black or Rat. We also have King Snakes around here, but they have some light markings on the belly which this one didn't have.

http://www.wbir.com/picture-gallery/...ssee/10296199/

GRX 07-08-2015 12:13 PM

Great pictures. Those babies would have been a tasty snack. Have a male Cardinal that has been bouncing himself off one of my windows for months. Avain Einstein he is not. Do like watching & listening to him sing though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72kool (Post 7233529)

Proper name is "Western rat snake". Depending on your locale, also known as Texas Ratsnake, Black Rat snake, Pilot Black snake, or simply Black Snake. Which is what we call them around here.

flashed 07-08-2015 12:31 PM

I would have used to call that a DEAD snake if found in my yard but now as long as they stay outside they are fine .I did once kill a small copperhead in my house ,did not sleep well that night so now the other snakes are fine out there.

GRX 07-08-2015 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How ironic. Just found this small Garter snake outside my back door. Wonder what critters it will find to eat.

slomotion 07-08-2015 01:24 PM

Can't resist a quick black snake story; When I was 10 or 11 some neighbors had a camp in the mountains of VA. and they had invited us up for the week end. John a kid my age who's parents owned the camp and I were walking down a dirt road throwing rocks, and just doing what kids do. We came up on a big black snake sunning himself on a rock. Just wanting to wake him up, I lobbed a rock at him. (I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn,) but this time I hit him in the head. He didn't move at all so I picked him up behind the head like I'd seen people do, and towards his tail. I could have almost skipped rope with him! John said we should show our parents the thing so we went back to the camp and went inside. My mom, and John's mom were sitting at the table and when they started screaming to take that snake outside the noise must have woken him up because he started writhing and twisting my wrists so bad I couldn't hang on to him and once he broke loose of one hand, I just let go with the other. Our mom's are screaming, John is jumping around screaming, I'm feeling a little panicky, and the snake is disappearing under the couch. I suspected I was dead, but our mom's settled right down and my mom just said "Get that snake out of here," and she and John's mom went outside. I grabbed a broom, John found a yard stick and a fly swatter and after a half hour we finally got him out the door. Mom was pretty icy to me the rest of the day, but that night while in bed contemplating my fate, I overheard the whole story being related to our dads, and they all had a good laugh so I was pretty sure they wouldn't strangle me in my sleep.