The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Power steering pump choices (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=799607)

dmjlambert 01-14-2020 11:19 PM

Power steering pump choices

1 Attachment(s)
A power steering pump is in my future. I'm going to be getting into that area of the truck due to leaks in the power steering gear box, and the hoses are old, and the pump cap does not have a solid home position. When I twist the cap on, instead of reaching a convincing detent, I can feel the cap tighten a little, and then it just becomes completely loose and then slightly tightens again in the next 1/2 turn.

So, anyway, I'm thinking of getting a new one. I am interested in an ACDelco or similar stock-like pump, perhaps a remanufactured lifetime warranty one from the local parts store, not chrome or Chinese Skip White thing. So I'm wondering if there are choices that I can make about the style of pump. I see online there are different shape reservoirs and in some cases separate reservoir. Does one have advantages over the other and can I choose whichever one and it will fit? Is there an application (make, model, year, etc.) to give the counter guy at the parts store to get one type vs. the other?

Also, what is the deal with power steering pumps that don't come with the cap? Is that the norm? I have seen many shown online that say they don't come with the cap. I will want a cap that fits properly, and I would prefer to have a good one. I don't have a good history with caps, I don't have a lot of faith in gas and oil cover caps fitting properly, so I have doubts about power steering reservoir caps.

I have a 1969 CST/10 with 350 engine, TH400 automatic transmission. My current pump is like the top one in this picture.

Attachment 1974120

Opinions will be great to hear from you folks.

dmjlambert 01-14-2020 11:24 PM

Re: Power steering pump choices

One more question to add that could affect the choice, is there one to get that works with a tool to help tighten the belt? I never know how to properly put tension on the belt while tightening the bolts. I have heard that there may be a tool for certain pumps.

Andy4639 01-15-2020 10:12 AM

Well since your cap want tighten down then you need a new reservoir.

You can rebuild these also though. If the pump is good but it leaks just order the new reservoir and new O -ring kit and take it out and rebuild it.
Not that much trouble to do it takes about 30 minutes. I just did this on the 68 truck.

The top picture was the early style one then they went to the bottom picture in the 70's that's what my 71 C 10 had stock. . Doesn't matter which one unless you want 100% stock looking.
The ones with remote fill where for BB trucks but would be a nice addition. I can't say for 100% they will work on a SMB though.
Just tell them the model your working on they can pull it up for you.

:chevy:

GerhardH 01-18-2020 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8660017)
One more question to add that could affect the choice, is there one to get that works with a tool to help tighten the belt? I never know how to properly put tension on the belt while tightening the bolts. I have heard that there may be a tool for certain pumps.

I was working on the same issue.

In my truck (1968) C-20 you can find the pump attached.

For 1968/1969 the banjo style was the right one. During my last stop in the work shop they build in a new teardrop style is working fine (but some issues with the belt length, see here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=729685. The reason could be the brackets or production inaccuracy of the new pump). The difference between the pumps are first the reservoir style but second also the position of the small pipe and the bolts for the brackets.

See here:https://www.tuffstuffperformance.com...ack-6198b.html

I have no idea if you can buy pump and tool together but you can find the tool: THEXTON 383 Power Steering Belt Tightener GM Type Saginaw Pumps

franken 01-19-2020 01:11 AM

Since the cap is plastic, I'd guess that's worn rather than the steel res. Chances are you can get one from the the internet. Yep, $4...
You can get a kit to reseal the pump as mentioned above. If you want rebuilt pump, go to the nearest parts store with the usual info.
The pumps are typically the same over many years but the res varies as does the shaft and pulley mount. The pulley either has a nut or simply presses on.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-82581-...XNWVB4X5ZWEEWQ

dmjlambert 01-19-2020 01:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Are the caps always plastic, or are there some that are metal? I was wondering if the 3rd one from top in my picture above is an option for me, with the separate reservoir. It looks like it has a metal cap. While I'm doing this, if I can make a better choice and end up with something just better, I would like to do it. Do I need a better bracket setup? I tried taking pictures of what I have, and it's pretty hard to get in there and see it very well.

Attachment 1975229
Attachment 1975242
Attachment 1975231

I'm having a look online at the instructions for that belt tightening tool. I like the idea quite a lot, but I don't see on my bracket part of it that wraps around the pump. Is there something I'm not seeing correctly or missing, or should I just get a different bracket in order to have the best setup?

Attachment 1975232

dmjlambert 01-19-2020 01:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
franken, you made me curious so I went out to the truck and checked. I have a metal cap. The only parts of it non-metal are the rubber seal and the dipstick.

Attachment 1975237

Here is the lip where the cap engages. I think it may not be designed for the detent that I was expecting, it would need to have a shape similar to what I draw. Or maybe the shape is there but not very pronounced.

Attachment 1975238
Attachment 1975239

stsalvage 01-19-2020 10:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just to add this these Brackets are getting up there in price it was easy to find them for 50.00 10 years ago now there getting up there in 150.00 to 200.00 But they make life so much easier when working on your power steering

dmjlambert 01-19-2020 11:52 PM

Is that different from the bracket I have? I can't tell.

Andy4639 01-20-2020 12:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Just installed this one. I took the pump out and swapped the tanks out with new O rings. I bought aftermarket bracket and cut the brace that came with it to use as the stiffner on the back so it cant move.:chevy:

Andy4639 01-20-2020 12:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the bracket I used. I will say I had to cut the tab's off and re drill the front and back side to mount the pump closer to the mounting bolts so I would clear the frame. I also cut the long bar they send and drilled a new hole to mount it to the back.:chevy:

dmjlambert 01-20-2020 05:45 AM

What is your method of tightening the belt? Has anyone seen the type of pump or bracket that the tool GerhardH mentioned, "THEXTON 383 Power Steering Belt Tightener GM Type Saginaw Pumps" or used that tool? Is there another tool or trick to applying tension?

What does that plastic cap feel like when putting on? Does it turn clockwise until a detent is felt and then it won't go any further? Does the inside lip of the reservoir look same as mine?

Metaldoc 01-20-2020 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made the brackets and the pump is 67 corvette with steel cap.

Grumpy old man 01-20-2020 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The easiest set up is the 71 bracket , post a want to buy ad in the parts section . it's so much easier to buy belts and pumps when you use a stock line part .:chevy:

Grumpy old man 01-20-2020 06:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here ya go . :chevy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-Che...gAAOSwzFRdL3SN

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ckup-rwd?pos=0

BigBird05 01-20-2020 09:22 PM

Grumpy, In the picture of the P.S.pump bracket where does the left hand part of the bracket bolt to?

Grumpy old man 01-20-2020 09:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 8663187)
Grumpy, In the picture of the P.S.pump bracket where does the left hand part of the bracket bolt to?

it bolts to the front bolt on the engine mount . :chevy:

dmjlambert 08-22-2020 01:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm bringing this thread back up to the top to ask can this type of pump with the separate reservoir be used with a 350 SBC engine and stock bracket and pulley/belt setup?

gmc684x4 08-22-2020 01:15 PM

It should i have seen them mostly in van setups
Going to use one on my 68
The one i have is from a 99 Express van using the serpentine belt setup

dmjlambert 09-13-2020 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I have the system all back together and ready to put fluid in or check fluid level in the power steering, I must first loosen the bracket and remove belt tension to get clearance to remove the cap. That doesn't seem reasonable to me, and I think it may be a design defect. I have original stock brackets for alternator and power steering pump. This is why I'm considering the remote reservoir pump.

truckdude239 09-14-2020 02:09 AM

Id get a shorter belt so that the pump is tilted more to the left when belt i tight to clear

dmjlambert 09-14-2020 09:19 PM

That sounds like a good idea, thanks.

pjmoreland 11-22-2022 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a plastic cap on my power steering reservoir that leaked a bit. It didn't seem to have any sort of rubber seal on it. I ended up grabbing a plastic cap from a mid-90s Chevy truck at the wrecking yard. It looks identical to the one I had, but it has a rubber flange/diaphragm part-way down on the dipstick. This cap does not leak. You can still buy this cap style new from GM (part number 26095243), although they've switched to the goofy hieroglyphic markings that GM started using on their vehicles circa 2003. I bought one of these from the local Chevy dealership for my '89 Chevy. I did test-fit it on my '68, and it fit fine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-26095243