The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Panel Bond Adhesive Roof (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840479)

KyleSeal 12-13-2022 09:16 PM

Panel Bond Adhesive Roof

1 Attachment(s)
Hello. Im planning on using a SEM panel bond adhesive to install my new roof skin and drip rails, mainly for the strength and air-tight seal it creates. I see a lot of people on the board doing this, but no answers as to how many tubes they used. I plan on using SEM 39747.

Also curious, is there a minimum working temp for this product? My garage gets to about 50 at the lowest most nights.

Thanks! :metal:

jgr 12-13-2022 10:01 PM

Re: Panel Bond Adhesive Roof

I have used SEM and 3M a lot. My personal preference is 3M BUT SEM will get the job done. You will need more temp in the shop I'm thinking you will need 3-4 kits it doesn't go that far once you start pumping it out. After it is dry it will never ever come off!!

hugger6933 12-14-2022 07:28 PM

For goodness sakes make it hotter. I did a roof skin on a 3/4 ton truck about 10 -15 years ago it was a 2005 and it was cooler in my shop and it popped loose that stuff was a nightmare to remove to weld up after I welded it up I realilized it was too cool to use the glue I have done some bedskins that went fine. Good luck Jim

TxCajun 12-23-2022 06:46 PM

I used Evercoat FIB-816 Maxim Large Panel Bonding Adhesive for the roof on my '66 C10. One tube was enough to attach the roof plus both A-pillar drip rails.

I chose this Evercoat because it is a two part, one-to-one epoxy adhesive with a mixing nozzle but it is packaged in a single tube that fits in a standard caulking gun (unlike some others that require a special applicator gun).

The product description sheet claims that the adhesive has corrosion resistant properties which I thought was good since the panel-bond-line has to be left as bare metal. Also, the Working Time is 90-110 minutes which is good since I was doing this work by myself and it took the full 90 minutes to apply the adhesive, get the roof in place, and apply the clamps.

Clamp Time for the adhesive is 6 hours and Full Cure time is 24 hours at 70 degrees Perhaps you could heat just the cab with a small portable heater placed inside.

There is a write-up in my build blog on this adhesive and on the seam sealer for the gutter.

NJ68stepside 12-23-2022 09:57 PM

I used it on my firewall kits. And other areas where I covered up some holes. Worked great. Best to have more tubes than you think you’ll need. If you run out, you’re screwed. Can always return them.

KyleSeal 04-04-2024 09:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to follow up.

I installed the roof and drip rails with the SEM Panel Adhesive. It worked great and is super strong. I did spot welds every few inches or so as well, and clamped in a 60 degree+ garage overnight. Once it set, I removed the clamps and there was no rebound, so I believe a 100% adhesion was made.

The BEST way to adhere this is to use a 36 grit roloc at a very low speed to maintain the grind marks (creates a better mechanical bond) on both pieces, and keep the adhesive away from the weld areas or it wont weld very well. This will also speed up the curing process due to heat, so keep that in mind.

Attachment 2348125 Attachment 2348126
Attachment 2348127