The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   1956 Chevy Pro-Street Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=663322)

BC Toy chest 04-02-2015 02:00 PM

Re: 1956 Chevy Pro-Street Build

Nice!!! Keep the photos coming.

Red Foreman 04-02-2015 07:11 PM

Onboard.

ptc 04-03-2015 03:55 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I received a few items from the supplier store and have some more things to check off the old "To Do" list ....

Made all the modifications to the front spindles off the Gen 2 - Z28 to fit the new Wilwood calipers and rotors. Not too tough a job with just a battery powered sawzall and a grinder! Turned out pretty good. Since these are multi-use hubs with both 4.5" and 4.75" bolts patterns I decide to match it to the rear flanges that are already Ford at 4.5", that way all my rims will be the same pattern.... FORD! lol - I only hope that custom Wheels for FORDS are cheaper than Chevy ---- they should be right? their cars are "cheap"! :lol:

Got the spindles remounted onto the front end and can get the front wheels back on to roll it around now.

I fitted a rear caliper bracket to the 9" FORD rear and found it to be a little strange.... But I guess this is just the way Wilwood does things. I'll post some closer pics of that later.

a question I have for you guys building these rear ends.... do the axle shafts at the flange end have any type of seal or gasket that is suppose to be there or does the bearing sitting in its pocket seal any oil in the housing that comes that way?

Got more to do this weekend before all the egg hunters and family arrives.... Happy Easter everyone!

Kim57 04-03-2015 04:41 PM

Nice looking stuff.
My axles had seals that fit over them.
Kim

ptc 04-07-2015 03:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple new pics with the rear end mocked up.... reminds me of a song....

Nobody gonna take my car, I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car, It's gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh it's a killing machine, It's got everything
Like a driving power, big fat tires and everything
.... :lol: anybody recognize it????

Kim57 04-07-2015 05:11 PM

Love it.
I think these trucks look great in the Pro-street style.
Kim

ChuckDriver 04-07-2015 11:15 PM

That looks awesome!

ptc 04-08-2015 01:11 PM

Thanks guys appreciate the support....

I did make it down to the DMV yesterday to get my project registered and titled.... got both now and it isnt even together yet!!! I decided to keep the old blue and yellow plates, Im wondering if it is illegal if I were to repaint them to the black and yellow like the plates of that '57 era? anybody know?

Next thing Im working on is the rear roll pan I just received and fixing up some the bed rails and rust holes.

Then a hitch receiver that I think will fit perfectly hidden right behind the plate box..... we'll see!

bowt1ed 04-08-2015 02:04 PM

Hey PTC, for the Wilwoodd did you just have to cut the ears off of your Gen II spindles? Got pics of the mod? Thanks, Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptc (Post 7118218)
Well I received a few items from the supplier store and have some more things to check off the old "To Do" list ....

Made all the modifications to the front spindles off the Gen 2 - Z28 to fit the new Wilwood calipers and rotors. Not too tough a job with just a battery powered sawzall and a grinder! Turned out pretty good. Since these are multi-use hubs with both 4.5" and 4.75" bolts patterns I decide to match it to the rear flanges that are already Ford at 4.5", that way all my rims will be the same pattern.... FORD! lol - I only hope that custom Wheels for FORDS are cheaper than Chevy ---- they should be right? their cars are "cheap"! :lol:

Got the spindles remounted onto the front end and can get the front wheels back on to roll it around now.

I fitted a rear caliper bracket to the 9" FORD rear and found it to be a little strange.... But I guess this is just the way Wilwood does things. I'll post some closer pics of that later.

a question I have for you guys building these rear ends.... do the axle shafts at the flange end have any type of seal or gasket that is suppose to be there or does the bearing sitting in its pocket seal any oil in the housing that comes that way?

Got more to do this weekend before all the egg hunters and family arrives.... Happy Easter everyone!

ptc 04-08-2015 04:20 PM

Hey Jim, Yea I did the mod to the Gen II disc spindles and they came out just fine. was pretty easy actually, the forgings cut easy with a medium tooth sawzall blade and then just grind flat the finish.

I'll get some pics up of the final product for you too.

Here are the Wilwood directions for the install. they are very good. The only thing that I am really miffed about is Wilwood using TORX - button head screws for the mounting of the alum hub. With the expectation that you can torque them to 55 FT-LBS.... not going to happen without twisting bits and stripping heads.... I changed all the bolts out to grade 8 for my install.

What were they thinking?

http://www.wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds480.pdf

Roadkill58 04-08-2015 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptc (Post 7124752)
Thanks guys appreciate the support....

I did make it down to the DMV yesterday to get my project registered and titled.... got both now and it isnt even together yet!!! I decided to keep the old blue and yellow plates, Im wondering if it is illegal if I were to repaint them to the black and yellow like the plates of that '57 era? anybody know?

Next thing Im working on is the rear roll pan I just received and fixing up some the bed rails and rust holes.

Then a hitch receiver that I think will fit perfectly hidden right behind the plate box..... we'll see!

I'm surprised you got it done without taking the truck in for inspection.

Not having much luck with CA DMV lately. Must be karma for all the stuff I got away with in the past. Got called into the back room when I titled my 48 Pontiac. Thought I was done, but they just asked a couple questions because it hadn't been registered for awhile (before computers).

Advanced Design 04-08-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptc (Post 7123395)
Couple new pics with the rear end mocked up.... reminds me of a song....

Nobody gonna take my car, I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car, It's gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh it's a killing machine, It's got everything
Like a driving power, big fat tires and everything
.... :lol: anybody recognize it????

Wicked cool rear rubber!

Kabwe 04-08-2015 07:44 PM

Man that is a lot of meat going on that truck. Keep the pics coming.

FarmerSid 04-08-2015 07:54 PM

You might need a bigger fuel cell to spin those meats!

BC Toy chest 04-09-2015 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptc (Post 7124752)
.....I decided to keep the old blue and yellow plates, Im wondering if it is illegal if I were to repaint them to the black and yellow like the plates of that '57 era? anybody know?

NO it's not go on ahead and paint them. Some people punch louvers in their plates and as the photo shows below I had my lic. plate chrome plated, I have never been pulled over for it yet.

ptc 04-09-2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill58 (Post 7125031)
I'm surprised you got it done without taking the truck in for inspection.

Not having much luck with CA DMV lately. Must be karma for all the stuff I got away with in the past. Got called into the back room when I titled my 48 Pontiac. Thought I was done, but they just asked a couple questions because it hadn't been registered for awhile (before computers).

Thats what I was worried about, but the lady I got the '57 truck from kept it non-opped since 1992!!!! so they just said pay the new fees and its a done deal!!!! So as far as they know... its just a plain old 57 chevy going down the road!!!! No wonder why they dont trust anybody at the DMV anymore!!!! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7125117)
Wicked cool rear rubber!

Glad you like!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 7125154)
Man that is a lot of meat going on that truck. Keep the pics coming.

I need some horseys to go with it!!!!! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 7125165)
You might need a bigger fuel cell to spin those meats!

Well thats 17 gallons, so it should get me to the racetrack ok!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC Toy chest (Post 7125663)
NO it's not go on ahead and paint them. Some people punch louvers in their plates and as the photo shows below I had my lic. plate chrome plated, I have never been pulled over for it yet.

Good to know, I think I will do that then, the plates are pretty wacked but I can straighten them. or just get personal plates if all else fails!

ptc 04-10-2015 01:55 PM

5 Attachment(s)
For Jims ? -
I just got the rotors and calipers mocked up finally and its a good thing we do mock up. Heres my pics of spindle cuts and bracket install

ptc 04-10-2015 01:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And once the rotor and caliper were installed I found that I needed to give the spindle a little bit more space so the caliper would bolt on correctly....

Heres those pics -

Notice the last pic where the bottom caliper bolt doesnt fit into place. The spindle needs more relief at the black marks.

bowt1ed 04-10-2015 07:26 PM

Thanks. More trimming than I thought. Good info.

Cheers, Jim

4DSEVEN 04-11-2015 04:46 AM

Gonna be a Highway Star! Keep up the good work!

FarmerSid 04-11-2015 08:24 AM

You would never know those spindles were trimmed when your done. Looks like a factory piece.

Kim57 04-11-2015 11:02 AM

Nice job on the mods.
Kim

RockinKees 04-11-2015 04:14 PM

Great work!
Scary to cut in your spindles...think twice, cut once ;)

ChuckDriver 04-11-2015 07:56 PM

Nice fit!

ptc 04-13-2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DSEVEN (Post 7128507)
Gonna be a Highway Star! Keep up the good work!

Ahh YEA!!! "Deep Purple" one of my favorites.... The license plate in CA is already taken no matter how I tried to make it work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowt1ed (Post 7128015)
Thanks. More trimming than I thought. Good info.
Cheers, Jim

Yea the instructions say take as little as possible and I did. Just needs a fine tune now. but its pretty straight forward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 7128574)
You would never know those spindles were trimmed when your done. Looks like a factory piece.

I will trim it more and clean all the forging lines too before I send them out for powdercoat. It all in the details....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 7128698)
Nice job on the mods.
Kim

Thanks Kim!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7129004)
Great work!
Scary to cut in your spindles...think twice, cut once ;)

Yes this is definately one of those times not to do things TWICE!!!! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 7129228)
Nice fit!

Thanks, ... I love the Wilwood stuff, they make it very easy. Used only Tilton in my race cars back in the day, but Wilwood has everything designed to work together.