The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6 hour drive to get truck and no vin tag? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=379056)

cincytrucktp 01-02-2010 02:24 PM

6 hour drive to get truck and no vin tag?

You know I asked about ever other possible question and asked for a got lots of pictures, just never assumed the truck didn't have a vin plate. Anyway the glove box vin and frame vin both match. Truck was painted back in 2002 and the owners body shop took it off to keep the new paint off of it but in the process they lost it. Honestly I believe the story 100%. I really like the truck but I'm just afraid the BMV is going to give me trouble if it's missing. You know it's even possible the PO swapped out the cab, who knows? As old as these trucks are and knowing how frames, cabs, beds etc get swapped out that it would really matter. Both the frame vin number and the glove box both match the title but I just know the bmv is going to give me crap. Anyone have suggestions?

No3Fan4Ever 01-02-2010 02:30 PM

Re: 6 hour drive to get truck and no vin tag?

Does the person you are buying from have a title with correct vin #?
The DMV won't look at the truck, only your inspection station, correct?

cdowns 01-02-2010 02:35 PM

i'd only look at the truck as a parts donor no matter the story//without the vin tag if you're ever stopped and inspected expect the truck to b impounded// IT'S A MAJOR PROBLEM

Hottrucks 01-02-2010 03:14 PM

don't worry about it if they don't know where the vin # is I'm sure you can show them....I swapped doors does that mean I have a parts truck???

fine69 01-02-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottrucks (Post 3705948)
don't worry about it if they don't know where the vin # is I'm sure you can show them....I swapped doors does that mean I have a parts truck???

Doors dont have a vin #.

It is illegal to remove the vin tag. Period. Many times now when you get pulled over they want to match your insurance info to your vin #.
I just had it happen in Arizona a couple months ago.

You get pulled over and there is no vin on the cab and your truck is getting impounded. And sorted out later.

In Ohio your BMV is the place that checks your vin against the title.

BarryB 01-02-2010 03:29 PM

If you have the title, and the vin's match, there are companies that will make you a factory restamped vinplate. Look on the web there out there. This type of problem is pretty common when your dealing with vechiles this old.
Heck I even seen unstamped vinplates for sale at some swap meets.

jeffspower 01-02-2010 03:39 PM

Everywhere you go the law looks at it differently. I'm not buying the notion that you can't remove or re-install a vin plate. If that is true, insurance would be even crazier than it is now. If a $50,000 new truck ends up with $2000 damage form a tree limb falling on it, destroying the vin plate, They are going to total it? :lol:

Body shops swap cabs on wrecks all the time. On a new truck, you can go to the dealer and buy a new one. So I'm a criminal by transfering a vin from my shot cab to a replacement?

They better build more prisons, and this board better find new methods for funding, as a whole bunch of us are heading to the slammer :crazy:

fine69 01-02-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffspower (Post 3705986)
Everywhere you go the law looks at it differently. I'm not buying the notion that you can't remove or re-install a vin plate. If that is true, insurance would be even crazier than it is now. If a $50,000 new truck ends up with $2000 damage form a tree limb falling on it, destroying the vin plate, They are going to total it? :lol:

Body shops swap cabs on wrecks all the time. On a new truck, you can go to the dealer and buy a new one. So I'm a criminal by transfering a vin from my shot cab to a replacement?

They better build more prisons, and this board better find new methods for funding, as a whole bunch of us are heading to the slammer :crazy:

Its totally ok for a bodyshop to do it. As long as they are responsible for any issues.

But your telling me that you would go out of state, spend $12K dollars on a truck with the vin # removed from the cab? I don't think so.
Are you a criminal for transferring your vin to a new cab? By the laws set forth by our government YES. Would anyone here blame you? NO.

What if he bought the truck. Brought it back to Ohio. Couldnt get a title since there is no vin plate. Then what? You think the seller is going to go out of his way to help him? Probably not. He couldnt take the time to make sure it was riveted back on properly. Then he has a $12K parts truck. Screw that.

If the seller is honest(we presume he is) he will find the plate, or contact his own state departments to fix the issue. After explaining the problem.

Then he will contact Tim and sell him the truck.

John Pasinski 01-02-2010 04:02 PM

That is a great common sense answer! If that seller has excuses; get away from that truck!

jeffspower 01-02-2010 04:04 PM

Nope, I wouldn't bring it home w/o the vin plate either, unless the price reflects it. Agreed, if the seller wants fair market value, THEY should get the problem handled BEFORE selling it. I've walked away from a similar situation before. If the seller tries to pull the story "it shouldn't be a problem to get it straightened out" then tell them great- give me a call as soon as you get it taken care of.

I did find out that here in MO (at least with the State Patrol inspector I worked with) that they would be OK with no VIN plate as long as the frame stamp matched the title, or vise/ versa. But I can see where it could be a problem somewhere else, or in a traffic stop as mentioned.

suville 01-02-2010 04:04 PM

Did you buy the truck? If not no loss keep lookin, in these economic trying times many are deciding to sell and there are some very good deals out there. I'd suggest trying to buy something from a board member.If rust is a problem in your area consider something from the dryer climates such as the southwest. A bus ticket and driving a good solid truck back is still bucks ahead of rotted panel replacement even if you can do your own work the time involved is considerable just ask those that have gone that route. As an example when I lived in Washinton Bellingham area I found a rust free 68 burb in Phoenix for 2500 bucks drove down hauled it back was time and dollars ahead in the long run, remember the nicer a rig you start with the less work and the nicer a rig you will have in the end. Besides that frees up a lot of funds for drive train, suspension etc.If you did purchase the vehicle all is not lost, PM me for details I worked in the autobody trade for over 40 years there is options.

dhaymaker 01-02-2010 04:12 PM

Thread deleted for member`s protection.

woodwright 01-02-2010 04:14 PM

A few years ago my brother in law had a similar problem. He bought an MG from a friend that was about 90% restored, just needed put together. The PO had removed the vin tag to paint. Once Brandon got it together, he riveted the vin tag back on, and went to get the title transfered. During the inspection, they saw that the new paint was under the tag and they almost impounded it. As it was he couldn't get the title transfered. He ended up selling it back to the PO.

I'm swapping the cabs between my k10 and c10. I called the dmv and asked them about it, and they want to make two brand new titles with addendums instead of just inspecting both cabs and switching the plates. I'm in Idaho, which is about as lax as you get, and Brandon is in Washington.

LONGHAIR 01-02-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

If a $50,000 new truck ends up with $2000 damage form a tree limb falling on it, destroying the vin plate, They are going to total it?
I absolutely defy you to make that happen.....there is no way in the world that you damage a vehicle bad enough to destroy the VIN on a new truck and still only do $2000 worth of damage.

That aside, yes this truck could be titled/registered legally....but it's going to take some work. Here in Ohio, when you transfer the title from another state, they will inspect the vehicle. If it were transfered with-in the state, you might get by with it...for now, but it would still not be "legal". They could impound it at any time.
To do this legally, you need to work this out with the previous owner. In the state's view, you don't even own this thing..and I would doubt that the state that it came from would be pleased about this transaction either?

1971 GMC SHORTY 01-02-2010 05:37 PM

Its a FEDERAL THING you can't Remove A Vin Number Thats Why they Have Clover Rivets.. Let alone let a Body Shop... The Only One Is the Highway Patrol In Californa And We Have The Worst... DMV Can't Remove it's Called ALTERING...Better Think Twice..

rsavage 01-02-2010 05:39 PM

You should talk to someone in the DMV to see what is required. In New York State, which is probably the most regulated state in the country, they look at the paperwork not the truck - that doesn't make sense to me. If the title has the correct VIN on it ( as far as you are concerned as the frame portion of the VIN matches) and the paperwork is in order it could be registered here. Bottom line though is that it should have a VIN tag for maximum purchaser comfort. I walked away from a beautiful 63 Burb that I had loaded on the trailer when I discovered the truck VIN didn't match the Michigan title. I had checked title, ID, etc. but compared numbers as a last thing. It was a gorgeous truck but I couldn't afford to make that expensive of mistake. I'd walk but it's your money. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

fun in dirt 01-02-2010 05:48 PM

Thank God I live in MS...all that crap would drive me crazy!!!

No3Fan4Ever 01-02-2010 07:55 PM

As others stated each state is different. If it is legal and possible to get a replacement VIN plate that would be awesome. I can only go by my experience with purchasing a vehicle out of state and registering it.
I purchased my truck out of state and had it shipped to Virginia. Took the title to the VA DMV and had put in my name. The VA DMV never laid eyes on the vehicle.

nds1968 01-02-2010 08:22 PM

When I bought my truck from New Mexico and went to title it in Pennsylvania the notary wanted to see the truck in person to verify the vin. I also supplied them with a picture of the vin to put in with the paper work.

Fastfun 01-02-2010 08:25 PM

The DMV could give you a vin# but it will always be a reissued tag and will not look original!!! When you go to resell it the buyers will always question it.

wwotr 01-02-2010 08:35 PM

DAMN! and they say California's DMV's are a pain in the ass!!!

I guess I better pop-rivet the Tag back on my Matress before I go to bed tonight.
Isn't that against the law to remove also? :ito:

Here's the answer....http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1525405108.html

Roger
"RATIKLE"

MYGMCANDME 01-02-2010 09:51 PM

I drove 2 hours from Kentucky to Tennessee to look at and purchase a '70 GMC one ton a couple of years ago that I found on Craigs List. I looked it over good and knew the truck intimately before I signed my name on the title and handed over the money. Didn't realize until the next day after I got it home that the vin tag was missing. Never even thought to look at that. Called the previous owner and he acted like he didn't know it was missing. The vin # on the SPID inside the glove box door matched the Vin # on the title, so I thought all would be cool when I went to the DMV to transfer it. NOT!

Since it was out of state transaction, the Sherrifs office had to inspect it. When the officer came out to inspect it, first thing she asked me was "where's the Vin tag"? I told her that it was missing, but the vin on the glove box decal was the same. She said no dice and that was the end of the inspection. She said I would have to apply for new vin tag from the state.
When I tried to do that, the DMV said that I did not own the truck (because it had not been transferred yet), and the previous owner would have to apply for a new vin tag from Tennessee. He is not interested in helping with that.

So I have a complete running and driveable "parts truck" until I can buy another junk one ton with a good title and vin tag and make the swap. It stinks not being able to drive this truck legally, because it is a fun and useful truck. I learned a good lesson the hard way. If I were you, I would walk away from this one.

Jon

1968SWBBigBlock 01-02-2010 10:13 PM

Walk until the PO makes the truck complete and correct
1st car loan I remember the VP of the bank telling me "make sure you compare the title vin to the vin tag" "always double check them"
It has been a lesson that has served me well for 25+ years

teeitup 01-02-2010 10:15 PM

A few years back I bought a 4x4 truck with title and vin plate. I got it home registered it with state with no problem then noticed it was a 2wd title and vin, with no frame numbers. I had to get a lawyer, he did all the work for me, it costs $250. Then a highway patrol officer came by and removed old vin plate and put on a different one, then they sent me a new title, not all original but but it was all legal. But this was in the same state truck was registered

Dynomutt 01-02-2010 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what a reassigned VIN looks like in TX. My truck had it when I bought it and I hate it, but it can be done. I'm going to try to get it reassigned again to move it to a location where it doesn't look so much like CRAP.