The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   My Build Story, And I'm Sticking To It! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=303279)

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 04:51 PM

My Build Story, And I'm Sticking To It!

2 Attachment(s)
OK guys,many of you have seen my posts over the last year and half. Starting with Blue Thunder (we ALL know what happened with that), to me bringing home Ol Yller! Here is what she looked like...So I got to work trying to get it started. It had sat in a barn for 8 years w/o a carb.

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 05:17 PM

Re: My Build Story, And I'm Sticking To It!

2 Attachment(s)
So after swapping the intake manifold and getting a carb from jtrux, I started to clean up the valve covers and a couple of brackets. Unfortunately, the old motor had no compression in #1 and #3 cylinders. I didn't even bother checking the rest. So the search for the right engine started. Rebuild, buy new, or used were all explored. 1st thing first though, gotta get the old one out.

vtblazer 08-17-2008 05:18 PM

What...end of story?

How is it, a good starting point?
Must be if you pulled it home. ;)
Gotta luv gettin' a new blazer home and seeing what she's got to offer. :cool:

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 05:51 PM

Not the end of the build, having trouble w/photobucket and resizing pics.

vtblazer 08-17-2008 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER (Post 2852474)
Not the end of the build, having trouble w/photobucket and resizing pics.

:lol:...yeah, we were typing at the same time.

Liked your blue one, I'm sure this one will be sweet too.

Keep us updated.

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Then came the house hunt, so I had to slow down on the blazer. Once we bought the house and I finally had a garage to work in, I was able to continue.

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 07:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So then I started stockpiling parts for Ol' Yeller. I picked up two front seats out of a extended cab p/u and a third row seat out of a suburban for a total of $160.00. I also picked up a modified Smittybuilt rollbar and bikini top from a borad member for a $100.00 bucks. I also got a hold of a Sony double knob stereo and some Sony 6x9's, a Sony xplod amp, and some 6 1/2 door speakers from some junkers. Best part about the stereo stuff, FREE!!!!! The Edelbrock air cleaner was $20.00 bucks on craigslist, still in the box. And some used Flowmasters for $40.00. I then came across a 4" lift kit for $200.00 + $90.00 shipping. So far my budget hasn't been blown and The blazer is getting great parts on it with huge $aving$.

Jtrux 08-17-2008 07:23 PM

Well.....

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 07:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Alright, back to the build. After weighing all the options I decide to go with the GM performacr parts 260hp crate motor. With the discount I get I just couldn't pass it up. I called a local Chevy dealership and tracked one down here in S.A. and bought it.

Big Block 08-17-2008 09:52 PM

Looks great! You'll be driving it before you know it.

BLUE THUNDER 08-17-2008 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, after getting all the brackets cleaned and rattle-canned the motor was finally ready to start breathing. I bought a brand new battery and got some gas. I primed the motor with a cordless drill and a cut-off screwdriver. Worked like a charm. After being 180 off on the dizzy and a small power issue she was again ready to start. One problem though, I couldnt find my throttle cable and I really didn't want my arms in the engine compartment while it was running. After about 2 min of head scratching I came up with just the right idea. 8lb test tied to the carb did just the trick. Jtrux turned the key and she fired up w/o any problems. This was at about 8:30 P.M. on Thursday. We ran it at 2k rpm for about 10 min. The motor ran fantastic. Great oil pressure and low temp. I'll need to do it again for a little longer to finish breaking in the cam.

Blizz 08-18-2008 01:05 AM

Looks good. I'm starting to get motivated again....although I have a tough decision to make soon. $300 towards the Blazer or an XBOX 360. Hmmmm....what to do, what to do.

BLUE THUNDER 08-18-2008 08:57 AM

Blazer fo sho. If you don't get started i'm gonna borrow yuor tires before they rot away.

Yukon Jack 08-18-2008 11:22 AM

Motor looks great! Congrats on a successful first firing!

jaros44sr 08-18-2008 11:43 AM

Congrats! job well dun

Big J 08-18-2008 02:49 PM

I remember firing mine up after have problems with the first one. Good stuff, congrats.:metal:

Chevyman63 08-18-2008 03:41 PM

Nice looking engine.

You may want to carry around some extra 8lb. test just in case. :lol:

BLUE THUNDER 08-19-2008 12:03 AM

It's in the center console. Ha Ha. I'll hopefully have that resolved in the next couple of days. Thanks Jtrux. Now to tackle the next problem. The day after running the motor i went to the garage and found a puddle of tranny fluid under the truck. She didn't move under her own power when she was running, but i thought that it was because it was low on fluid. Anyone ever have that happen to them?

BLUE THUNDER 01-27-2009 10:49 PM

Had to go way back to find my build thread. Made lots of progress. I'll post some pics here soon. For now I'll let some suspense build. Later.

AJs72K5 01-27-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUE THUNDER (Post 3111622)
Had to go way back to find my build thread. Made lots of progress. I'll post some pics here soon. For now I'll let some suspense build. Later.

No pics = no proof of progress. All hearsay. :devil:

BLUE THUNDER 01-28-2009 12:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm back! I'm happy to announce more progess. After getting the motor running I found out the transmission was trashed. I got to wrenching and pulled the tranny and t-case out. I dropped it off at A Plus Transmissions here in town. I had everything replaced and had it built w/ a shift kit and a TH400 torque converter. After I got it back I had some friends come over and helped me put it back in. Here are some pics.

BLUE THUNDER 01-28-2009 12:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
After getting the tranny and t-case in I waited about a week or so to tighten everything back up. I ended up having my front driveshaft rebuilt for $100.00 bucks. I filled the tranny w/fluid and started her up. I put Ol yeller in gear and it started to move under it's own power. as excited as I was I had to cut the maiden voyage short because I had no brakes . The booster was shot. Oh well. I've also been stockpiling parts again. Here are some pics.

BLUE THUNDER 01-28-2009 12:26 AM

Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to install the 4" lift and change the tires and put them on the newsed shoes(got them from Jtrux). I still have to thghten up some bolts and put the hump back on. Once Ol yeller is stopping better i'll need to take it to the guys at A Plus so they can get the tranny dialed in. I'll be putting a lot of time into the Blazer soon now that the weather is getting warmer. Let me know what ya'll think of my progress and upgrades. Thanks. Mario

BLUE THUNDER 01-28-2009 12:28 AM

Soon AJ, Soon!

BLUE THUNDER 01-28-2009 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One last pic. Be on the road soon!!!!!:metal: