The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Perhaps a better way to get K30 disk brakes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=806510)

daddyjeep 05-19-2020 09:37 AM

Perhaps a better way to get K30 disk brakes

Due to an issue with my right rear brake that I could never figure out. It was self adjusting and would eventually lock up. I figured the best solution would be to just ditch the drum brakes and get me some of those fancy disk brakes. I started looking into what it would take to get it done on my Dana 70 and it seems that there are not good kits available and very limited options for an e-brake. I have the Eldorado calipers on the back of my Jeep and they are giving me problems so I really don't want to go that route.

What other option is there you ask? Well, how about swapping in a complete axle with factory disk brakes? The only options here are the Ford Sterling 10.5 axle and the AAM found in Dodges and Chevys. The sterling is a great axle, I have one already that is going under the Jeep, but would require the hubs and rotors to be redrilled for the correct lug pattern. A better option is the 99-07 Chevy AAM 11.5 full float axle out of a 1 ton truck. Well, the only one I could find locally was a semi float out of a 3/4 ton and all the brakes components were gone. The guy wanted $525 for it too. A little more research and searching the on line sales places led me to a complete 03 Dodge AAM 11.5 out of a single wheel Cummins powered truck for $300. It has the same 72" WMS as my Dana 70, the correct lug pattern, the same 3.73 gear ratio, and a limited slip. Now I need to cut off the leaf spring pads and shock mounts and build some new ones to work with my truck. I am going to build the leaf spring pads with 1" of lift since I am going to lift the front a couple inches.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16pAF...72DS8nbfNIVN5z

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-19-2020 12:51 PM

Re: Perhaps a better way to get K30 disk brakes

Depending on your goals.

A shackle flip, and longer shackle could proved the lift you want. Along with a slightly softer ride, and more travel.

Either way that is a score on a great axle

daddyjeep 05-19-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8742539)
Depending on your goals.

A shackle flip, and longer shackle could proved the lift you want. Along with a slightly softer ride, and more travel.

Either way that is a score on a great axle

I am happy with my rear springs. I removed a couple from the main pack to soften it up a little, but retained the overloads so I can still handle some weight if needed. If I did a shackle flip I would have to relocate the overload pads. This truck is to tow the off road toy, not be the off road toy. I am lifting the front a couple inches just to give the suspension a little room to move.

SCOTI 05-19-2020 04:01 PM

I just crawled under a newer version of one of these this morning that one of the guys I work with just picked up.

It's an '18 model/CC/short bed but a 3/4 ton. I was surprised to see the heavier-duty trucks utilizing the 4-bar set-up & coils in the rear (I knew the 1/2 ton models went to link bar/coils). But, as I was lying there checking it out, I wondered what the width was & feasibility of swapping one of the housings under an earlier model for the factory HD disc set-up.

cadillac_al 05-20-2020 07:16 AM

Drum brakes are cheap and easy to maintain for the average guy. Changing axles and welding perches is hard work. Call me confused, I always look for the cheap and easy way out.

daddyjeep 05-20-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillac_al (Post 8742959)
Drum brakes are cheap and easy to maintain for the average guy. Changing axles and welding perches is hard work. Call me confused, I always look for the cheap and easy way out.

I always... I mean always try to complicate the hell out of everything. Aside from that, my drum brakes have been giving me an issue since I owned the truck. The drivers' side self adjusts and locks up. I have had a half a dozen professional mechanic buddies look at it as well as thousands of us web mechanics on this group as well as Facebook. Everything is brand new on my drum brakes and many of the components have been replaced multiple times. I much prefer working on disk brakes anyway. Two bolts and the caliper comes off. No more fighting with springs and adjusters and hammering off a stubborn 70 pound drum.

1976gmc20 05-20-2020 06:14 PM

I had that happen on my 65 C/10 stepside and I just turned the adjuster around so it wouldn't self adjust anymore :lol:

daddyjeep 05-21-2020 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8743304)
I had that happen on my 65 C/10 stepside and I just turned the adjuster around so it wouldn't self adjust anymore :lol:

That is completely the opposite of complicating the hell out of it. I would never consider such a thing. :lol:

1976gmc20 05-21-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8743608)
That is completely the opposite of complicating the hell out of it. I would never consider such a thing. :lol:

When I worked at a service station in the mid-1970s, there were still a lot of cars around that you had to manually adjust the drum brakes.

v30crewcab 05-21-2020 04:39 PM

the rear adjusters also come in a left and right configuration. could be your issue.
I put a 02 silverado 2500 rear in mine to get disc, its basically a disc version of the full float 14bolt.