The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Would like intermittent wipers in my 78 GMC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=816996)

rgunlock 01-15-2021 08:23 PM

Would like intermittent wipers in my 78 GMC

I've read a number of threads about this, but it seems to come down to finding an intermittent wiper control module. Seems that the control modules are hard to come by. Does anyone know of a source for these, or an aftermarket solution?

Thanks!

kipps 01-15-2021 08:41 PM

Re: Would like intermittent wipers in my 78 GMC

Were intermittent wipers even an option with the dash-mounted switch?

Corts60 01-15-2021 09:33 PM

I believe they had an option for intermittent wipers these years. Instead of the metal square knob for the wipers, there would be a little round black knob with an arrow on it. You turned it to adjust the intermittent. I don't think they worked very well....

Corts60 01-15-2021 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They looked like this.

Nick_R_23 01-15-2021 09:53 PM

Yes, they would look like the picture posted above.

Adding the intermittent portion is pretty easy, as you’ve read. It’s been added to my ‘78 Chevy, and is as simple as finding the module on a parts truck, and the module is plug and play.

As far as I know, the module is not currently being reproduced by anybody, and supposedly they have internal component failures, but I’ve seen them be repaired before. Your best bet would be to find one at a wrecking yard or someone locally parting out one of these trucks, and bring your truck so you can test it easily.

farmall 01-15-2021 10:04 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-001871061

Dead Parrot 01-15-2021 11:03 PM

I had a 79 Camaro with a switch similar to what Corts60 posted. The intermittent function worked fine until something went wrong and the wipers wouldn't turn off reliably.

Guessing you could expand your parts search to all mid to late 70's GM vehicles and not just trucks. A lot of parts from that era were common across the various GM lines.

rgunlock 01-16-2021 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 (Post 8864721)
Yes, they would look like the picture posted above.

Adding the intermittent portion is pretty easy, as you’ve read. It’s been added to my ‘78 Chevy, and is as simple as finding the module on a parts truck, and the module is plug and play.

As far as I know, the module is not currently being reproduced by anybody, and supposedly they have internal component failures, but I’ve seen them be repaired before. Your best bet would be to find one at a wrecking yard or someone locally parting out one of these trucks, and bring your truck so you can test it easily.

There are threads on this site that describe how to add the feature, and there was a member gmachinz that used to repair and sell the control modules so it can be done. The part that isn't simple around where I am (Houston area) is to find a yard that still has 70's era vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmall (Post 8864725)

Thanks farmall. This is an interesting looking option. Apparently doesn't come with installation instructions or wiring diagram. I'll have to spend some time searching the internet to see if anyone who's added one of these drew up a wiring diagram.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Parrot (Post 8864751)
I had a 79 Camaro with a switch similar to what Corts60 posted. The intermittent function worked fine until something went wrong and the wipers wouldn't turn off reliably.

Guessing you could expand your parts search to all mid to late 70's GM vehicles and not just trucks. A lot of parts from that era were common across the various GM lines.

Thanks Dead Parrot, I hadn't thought about checking other vehicle models. Maybe one of the threads I ran across on this site has a part number to search for.