The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Back Up Camera... suggestions? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=806504)

70cst 05-19-2020 02:05 AM

Back Up Camera... suggestions?

Back Up Camera - one of the accessories I want to add to my 2004 Sierra is a backup camera. I am thinking a new DIN radio with camera capabilities - Have any of you have gone this route? Thanks

jocko 05-22-2020 09:03 PM

Re: Back Up Camera... suggestions?

I haven't, but have thought of some ways to do it. Hate to get rid of my factory radio because I like it better than double dins. I believe some GPS units have back-up cam capability via bluetooth, another option if you don't want to dump your radio. Just think of the am/fm in the 72s... back then nobody thought it would be a bad idea to upgrade to a Kraco with am/fm+CASSETTE!! :) But - double din probably the slickest way to go for built-in approach. I added a lower end model dash cupholder to my silverado (yes, now have 4 cupholders, but it looks factory correct :)) and have been toying with some idea on how to hide a GPS inside the fold-out cupholder and use it as GPS/bu cam only, when it is open. But it's a pretty tight fit, kinda gave up and decided to get 4 big gulps. But it is a starting point...

70cst 05-23-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8744534)
I haven't, but have thought of some ways to do it. Hate to get rid of my factory radio because I like it better than double dins. I believe some GPS units have back-up cam capability via bluetooth, another option if you don't want to dump your radio. Just think of the am/fm in the 72s... back then nobody thought it would be a bad idea to upgrade to a Kraco with am/fm+CASSETTE!! :) But - double din probably the slickest way to go for built-in approach. I added a lower end model dash cupholder to my silverado (yes, now have 4 cupholders, but it looks factory correct :)) and have been toying with some idea on how to hide a GPS inside the fold-out cupholder and use it as GPS/bu cam only, when it is open. But it's a pretty tight fit, kinda gave up and decided to get 4 big gulps. But it is a starting point...

My original radio has already been replaced with an aftermarket. :metal:

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-23-2020 06:29 PM

I helped a friend put one on his 4x4 Excursion. He mounted the camera to the roof rack, and we angled it down for a more advantageous angle. For the things he did with it quite often.

The radio was a double din from Crutchfield, and the hardest part was running the wiring. Everything else was pretty easy especially using you tube as a guide.

Well once installed, and running it could have lines showing your direction. They would how ever not move like my Silverado version does to show what your going to hit.

All in all if you want one I would recommend you do it, but while at it I would get the best you can afford. This way you can have navigation on the radio. Which by itself is not worth it to me, but with a camera. I will get one for my Willys, and set it up like he did.

70cst 05-23-2020 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8744962)
I helped a friend put one on his 4x4 Excursion. He mounted the camera to the roof rack, and we angled it down for a more advantageous angle. For the things he did with it quite often.

The radio was a double din from Crutchfield, and the hardest part was running the wiring. Everything else was pretty easy especially using you tube as a guide.

Well once installed, and running it could have lines showing your direction. They would how ever not move like my Silverado version does to show what your going to hit.

All in all if you want one I would recommend you do it, but while at it I would get the best you can afford. This way you can have navigation on the radio. Which by itself is not worth it to me, but with a camera. I will get one for my Willys, and set it up like he did.

A rear camera is a must :metal: