The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1969 C10 SWB - Big Block project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444414)

68 TT 07-21-2011 12:27 PM

Re: 1969 C10 SWB Stepside - Big Block project

Nice project. Keep it up.

My 67 C-10 will be similar when it is done but I'm trying to keep it 6-lug so I can run the Tahoe LTZ 20" wheels on it.

The 396 & T-400 for mine is coming out of my 68 Camaro as it is getting an 800hp turbo charged LSx engine and 4L80E. I'm building the car the way I want it, not the way the purists would want it to be ;)

CC69Rat 07-24-2011 07:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics from yesterday, we made a lot of progress. We have the exhaust hung, drop spindles on and starting to fit the front sheet metal. I like the way the tires fit in the back. :metal:

It's at ride height now but the rear fender is just sitting on it (two bolts)

I need to get some rotors for the front so I can at least get some rollers back on it and start measuring backspacing for my new wheels. The Magnaflow kit is nice but man it's a pain. The kit I bought must be a universal kit for LWB or SWB. We had to trim it quite a bit. I wish they made a SWB kit, and even one specific for coils or leafs.

lolife99 07-24-2011 07:51 PM

Everything looks great.
What radiator are you using?

Dieselwrencher 07-25-2011 01:58 AM

Man, it looks great! Nice work!

68 TT 07-25-2011 12:52 PM

Those are my all time favorite valve cover for the big block. Great choice :chevy:

How close are they to the firewall and can you get them off with the booster in place? Tall valve covers on my old BB Nova required removal of the wiper motor to get the driver side one off. That really sucked with a solid roller cam that needed adjusting on a weekly basis.

CC69Rat 07-25-2011 01:12 PM

The radiator was in the truck when I bought it, it looks super nice, clean welds etc. I believe the guy told me it was from Jegs, or Summit. I can't recall.

The valve covers actually hit the firewall on the driver's side. I made a small piece for it and I am going to tack it in place when I pull the cab for paint. I just have it notched out right now in 'mock up' stage but I know where I need to go with it. I haven't mounted my booster yet. I guess that remains to be seen :lol: Going to be snug, no doubt.

Thanks for the compliments!
Posted via Mobile Device

68 TT 07-25-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 4809538)
The valve covers actually hit the firewall on the driver's side. I made a small piece for it and I am going to tack it in place when I pull the cab for paint. I just have it notched out right now in 'mock up' stage but I know where I need to go with it. I haven't mounted my booster yet. I guess that remains to be seen :lol: Going to be snug, no doubt.

What about lifting the transmission mount up just a bit? It can make a big difference in firewall clearance.

You might have to redo a little of the exhaust you just finished but if you don't have to cut the firewall it might be worth it.

crappiewrangler 07-25-2011 01:53 PM

Man that is some sweet looking progress. I am in the very beginning stages of starting a frame off 72 SWB Step Side and am learning a lot from this and other threads. This board ROCKS:metal::metal:

tantrumpipeline 07-26-2011 01:06 AM

Looking awesome!!!

68greg 08-01-2011 06:40 AM

looking awesome great progress been awhile since I've looked at this thread.

BossHogg69 08-01-2011 01:27 PM

Chad - looks like things are coming together nicel! Gotta love those big block stepsides! I have to look at your thread for inspiration :metal:

Also, noticed your pass side firewall is shaved - what your your plans for a/c & heat? I'm about to tackle cleaning up my firewall and I need to get all the bulky factory a/c stuff off.

RCbowtie69 08-02-2011 09:54 PM

LOOKING GOOD!!!!!!!! Keep the pictures of your progress coming & Keep on Truckin' :metal:

CC69Rat 08-06-2011 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My brother in law made this stand for my cab. I'm going to use it to roll around and get a good line of sight for paint and making it as laser straight as I can. My garage space is a bit limited too so it will make it easier to store.

Dad had my driveshaft custom made by Hudlow Axle in Rossville GA. We set it up with Spicer heavy duty U joints just in case. :burnout:

Valhalla 08-06-2011 02:11 PM

I so need to build a cart like that for my bed and cab. Learning how to weld as we speak.

CC69Rat 08-06-2011 04:22 PM

Alan made this one out of some old metal that used to be a catwalk in the Wrigley (gum, life savers) plant. They had it and these wheels in the dumpster.

I have all the measurements he used if it will help you. This one is 18in off the ground. I still need to drill the holes for the body mounts and I'll probably paint it.. But it's stout ! He is a very good welder, and made this in about an hour and a half.
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 08-11-2011 08:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More progress! :metal:

McGaughys 12" F44 (1.25) brake rotor kit, calipers, new lines, bolts, etc. Bolted right up. For now I have a good roller set of 15x6.5's and 8"s on it just so we can roll it in and out of the garage. We're planning to start it this weekend. I know the front tires are a bit too small, but I will be putting 20's on it soon hopefully. (Coys C5's unless any new ones come out in the next few months)

butternut1972 08-11-2011 11:22 PM

Looking good, I like the truck rallys.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 08-11-2011 11:47 PM

You are coming right along on this project. Very nice parts you are installing too.

yunkyarddog 08-13-2011 01:55 AM

want a big block
nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww

CC69Rat 08-13-2011 05:42 PM

Well, Dad and I worked on my truck for several hours today. 97 in the shade here in SE Tenn. We got the shifter hooked up so now I can at least put it in park and make things a little safer. Got everything else, loose ends, fluids, etc. Topped off and worked to start the ole Big Block. It will turn over, build oil pressure and sounds like it is trying to start up. Put more timing in (clockwise) it gets worse .. backfire through the carb. Dad and I moved it both directions abour 4 deg. Nothing.

My buddy Greg came over and we pulled the dizzy cap. Checked for TDC (thinking 180 out) and #1 compression stroke looks good but it is firing a bit early .. like the dist is off a couple teeth.

Dad cranked the timing back (counter clockwise) as far as we could get it and if fired right up. Fairly simple -- I'll pull the dist around a couple teeth.

IT SOUNDS WICKED.:metal:

We were trying to break the cam in, 1500 rpm. It may have ran for 1 min, no more than 2 min and I noticed a Purple puddle on the driveway and things getting a little warm underneath. The dust shield is collecting oil and slinging it on the header / collectors :banghead:

My engine sat on the stand for probably two years before I got to put it in my truck. I originally built it for a 69 Camaro project that never happened. Do you think the seal is just dry (?) I personally think we may have damaged it when we put the trans together. In the two min it ran, it made a puddle about the size of a football. Ideas? Rear main?

I'm bent but not broken .. saving my strength for the things I can control.

...to be continued.

CC69Rat 08-13-2011 09:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Just some more pics we took today. This is the first time the truck has been out of the garage since January.

I have some work to do on my passenger rear step fender. It has a couple small dents in it but what you see here is pretty much out of the blaster and in first stage PPG Epoxy primer.

The front tires are too small, I know. I will probably pick up some a little bigger when I get a chance. These tires are only 24.5 tall. 215/65/15. The passenger front fender is sitting just shy of 26.5 off the ground (at the top of the fender lip) No way I could drive it like this with full length headers. :lol:

68 TT 08-13-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 4843362)
Well, Dad and I worked on my truck for several hours today. 97 in the shade here in SE Tenn. We got the shifter hooked up so now I can at least put it in park and make things a little safer. Got everything else, loose ends, fluids, etc. Topped off and worked to start the ole Big Block. It will turn over, build oil pressure and sounds like it is trying to start up. Put more timing in (clockwise) it gets worse .. backfire through the carb. Dad and I moved it both directions abour 4 deg. Nothing.

My buddy Greg came over and we pulled the dizzy cap. Checked for TDC (thinking 180 out) and #1 compression stroke looks good but it is firing a bit early .. like the dist is off a couple teeth.

Dad cranked the timing back (counter clockwise) as far as we could get it and if fired right up. Fairly simple -- I'll pull the dist around a couple teeth.

IT SOUNDS WICKED.:metal:

We were trying to break the cam in, 1500 rpm. It may have ran for 1 min, no more than 2 min and I noticed a Purple puddle on the driveway and things getting a little warm underneath. The dust shield is collecting oil and slinging it on the header / collectors :banghead:

My engine sat on the stand for probably two years before I got to put it in my truck. I originally built it for a 69 Camaro project that never happened. Do you think the seal is just dry (?) I personally think we may have damaged it when we put the trans together. In the two min it ran, it made a puddle about the size of a football. Ideas? Rear main?

I'm bent but not broken .. saving my strength for the things I can control.

...to be continued.

The oil filter O-ring could be doubled up. If an old O-ring was stuck on the block and you put a new filter on then the two O-rings stack up and don't work properly. It will spray oil everywhere.

If you have an oil filter adapter to convert an older block to spin on filter it could be damaged or not fitting right. The bellhousing bolt next to the oil filter adapter can poke through and damage the filter adapter if the bolt is too long. I did this to mine. The bolt was only 1/8" too long and that was all it took to crack the filter adapter. You can see up between the block and adapter to see if the bellhousing bolt is hitting the adapter.

CC69Rat 08-21-2011 05:03 PM

Dad checked the bolt that was mentioned and you can stick your finger between the hole and where the botl would come through and possibly hit the adapter .. so I think we're ok there. The oil filer looks good, seal on the oil filter looks good.

We started the truck again for a few min and put a rolled up paper towel behind the main seal. It pulled oil immediatelly into the towel.

We're thinking the rear main might have been installed backwards. The truck is apart right now. We're going to drop the pan one day next week and replace the rear main seal. More to come ..

Galley plugs are tight. (or seem to be, the ones we can get to) It looks like it is the main seal. Let's hope so ..

Stay tuned.

Seventy Two 08-21-2011 10:37 PM

tuned in. Good luck!

68 TT 08-25-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 4857272)
Dad checked the bolt that was mentioned and you can stick your finger between the hole and where the botl would come through and possibly hit the adapter .. so I think we're ok there. The oil filer looks good, seal on the oil filter looks good.

We started the truck again for a few min and put a rolled up paper towel behind the main seal. It pulled oil immediatelly into the towel.

We're thinking the rear main might have been installed backwards. The truck is apart right now. We're going to drop the pan one day next week and replace the rear main seal. More to come ..

Galley plugs are tight. (or seem to be, the ones we can get to) It looks like it is the main seal. Let's hope so ..

Stay tuned.

I hope it is something simple. Good luck.