The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lt1 Engine Harness & Swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=206674)

Kenneth_CS87 07-26-2006 10:28 PM

Lt1 Engine Harness & Swap

I am in the process of doing a swap on my 1970 c10. My question is what should I do with the wiring? Should I go with the painless kit or send it out to get it modified? Does anyone know where I send to get it modified? OO the motor is Lt1 is out of a 1994 Z28 and it is an automatic. And how would I remove all the smog pump stuff and the unnecessary sensors & components?

Musclerodz 07-27-2006 12:17 AM

Re: Lt1 Engine Harness & Swap

Street and Performance in Mena Ark. I have been told Painless harnesses are not actually Painless.

Mike

Kenneth_CS87 07-28-2006 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musclerodz
Street and Performance in Mena Ark. I have been told Painless harnesses are not actually Painless.

Mike

Thanks for the help.

BowTieOgre 07-28-2006 08:34 PM

Im running into the same situation Ken. I have to swap an LT1 from a Caprice into my C10 and the painless harness seems nice but its too $$$ at $600 plus the reprogram. I may just end up reusing my stock harness with the addition of a VATS disable module. Keep us up to speed on your situation and progress.

low4life1 07-28-2006 10:12 PM

I just did a zo6 vette motor in a fiero and we used a street and performance harness. Very nice. custom made it for us to the measurements we gave them. Big money, but very nice and went in with no problems. I think the painless ones need a little more work that the street and performance one did

pdr510 07-28-2006 11:03 PM

I had my harness done by LT1 wiring. www.lt1350.com

Kenneth_CS87 07-29-2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdr510
I had my harness done by LT1 wiring. www.lt1350.com

How much did they charge you?

Hart_Rod 07-29-2006 09:11 AM

I used one from Howell Engineering on my 48.

70c10 07-29-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by low4life1
I just did a zo6 vette motor in a fiero

Man that must be a wild ride!:cool:

NPilot1975 07-29-2006 10:39 AM

I used a painless on my truck and had no problems. As far as the smog equipment, you just have to have it programmed out of the computer. Speartech or Street & Performance are two places that can reprogram the computer (around $200.)

pdr510 07-29-2006 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_CS87
How much did they charge you?

I believe is was around $300. They fixed two plugs on my harness and installed the V.A.T.S module. It is a true stand alone harness when I got it back. Its is about half the cost of a painless harness! Their current prices are listed on their website.

pdr510 07-29-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth_CS87
I am in the process of doing a swap on my 1970 c10. My question is what should I do with the wiring? Should I go with the painless kit or send it out to get it modified? Does anyone know where I send to get it modified? OO the motor is Lt1 is out of a 1994 Z28 and it is an automatic. And how would I remove all the smog pump stuff and the unnecessary sensors & components?

Are you going to run AC?

low4life1 07-29-2006 12:54 PM

Yeah the vette motor in a fiero is definately a wild ride. almost scary how fast it gets up and goes. street and performance charged us like $1300 i think for the harness custom built to our lengths with all the connectors for every thing on there and the reprogramming of the computer. everything was soldered, heat shrinked. got an obdii plug. we could put the computer wherever we wanted and the plug wherever we wanted. pricey, but nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70c10

Kenneth_CS87 07-29-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdr510
Are you going to run AC?

I have the AC pump and stuff, But im not going to run it. I still have the complete z28.

Kenneth_CS87 10-13-2006 02:14 AM

Update: Got my harness from spear tech. Cost me 800 Bought a new harness and sent in to get my computer reprogram.

Werewolf 10-13-2006 07:14 AM

Smog-wise you don't have a lot to worry about in the PCM aside from programming out the EGR valve if you want that gone.

The pollution pump is electronic, and I don't believe that system is in the computer at all. Just unbolt the pump, leave the connectors hang, and plug up the exhaust manifolds/headers.

After that the only thing you'd have to worry about is the O2 feed after the cat(s.) But since your car's a '94, you don't even have one.

The rest of the sensors are needed to run the engine properly.

7387chevys 10-13-2006 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70c10 (Post 1769315)

I go to church with a guy that put a 3.8 in a ferrio.......they say it skates the front end if they shift gears hardenough:crazy:

BowTieOgre 10-13-2006 09:01 AM

Ive got a question about these harnesses. Do they just cover the motor or the whole truck? I mean am i going to have to buy or fashion wiring to run to the lights, A/C, gauges, etc.? The LT1 Painless harness doesnt mention anything about it but my buddy HartRod said his 67-72 Painless harness covers the whole deal.

low4life1 - I cant make heads or tails of the S&P website...can you tell me what exactly you ordered?

pdr510 - I will be running A/C. Ive been told I need to notch the frame or get a vette setup...any ideas?

Thanks

shifty 10-13-2006 10:18 AM

Send it to Speartech, it's cheaper than S&P and the work is of the same or better quality. Google for them if you need to. They're on the LS1tech forum. This is an idea of their LS1 harness and the things you can expect from them:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583994

Look at post #7.

shifty 10-13-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowTieOgre (Post 1827031)
Ive got a question about these harnesses. Do they just cover the motor or the whole truck? I mean am i going to have to buy or fashion wiring to run to the lights, A/C, gauges, etc.? The LT1 Painless harness doesnt mention anything about it but my buddy HartRod said his 67-72 Painless harness covers the whole deal.

I think Painless normally covers the whole truck and includes the new fuseblock if you get that package. With Speartech, it covers the harness for the engine, gauges and peripherals along with relays and fuse blocks to protect your wiring from what I gather. If you go for a less expensive solution like Wait4Me Performance, like I did, it covers just modifying the harness and you gotta install the relays and fuse blocks/fusible links yourself.

Here's the thing - you can re-use a lot of your factory wiring. When I just redid my wiring, i have a 1-wire alternatore on the new drivetrain, so i deleted the voltage regulator, tied together the three hot wires that were on there (one for voltmeter gauge, one for interior dash power), then taped it up. headlights will still be running the same power run as before, gauges will still use that power lead. Then you can use the part of your harness that previously did starter, HEI and other gauges accordingly (delete the unnecessary gauge wires, use IGN purple wire to the starter on new engine, and HEI wire for fans or something similar).

BowTieOgre 10-13-2006 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shifty (Post 1827083)
I think Painless normally covers the whole truck and includes the new fuseblock if you get that package. With Speartech, it covers the harness for the engine, gauges and peripherals along with relays and fuse blocks to protect your wiring from what I gather. If you go for a less expensive solution like Wait4Me Performance, like I did, it covers just modifying the harness and you gotta install the relays and fuse blocks/fusible links yourself.

Here's the thing - you can re-use a lot of your factory wiring. When I just redid my wiring, i have a 1-wire alternatore on the new drivetrain, so i deleted the voltage regulator, tied together the three hot wires that were on there (one for voltmeter gauge, one for interior dash power), then taped it up. headlights will still be running the same power run as before, gauges will still use that power lead. Then you can use the part of your harness that previously did starter, HEI and other gauges accordingly (delete the unnecessary gauge wires, use IGN purple wire to the starter on new engine, and HEI wire for fans or something similar).

I would do that but im not starting with a whole truck. I bought the cab, frame, bed and front clip all seperate so im either buying a body harness/block AND an engine harness OR im fabbing everything myself. I think the normal 18 circuit Painless harness is about $400 and I think I can get an engine harness for $200 so thats still cheaper than the LT1 Painless or S&P harness. Suggestions?

shifty 10-13-2006 10:44 AM

Suggestions?

Unless that harness is pre-modified, just go all Painless or call Speartech for the closest thing to a plug-and-play install. Here's the deal:

If you get a harness for $200 and it has to be hacked, that is $200-400 worth of work if someone else does it. That's $400-600 total. For $750 you can get the pimp-daddy Speartech harness that kicks ass.

Best thing to do? Call Speartech. Call Painless. Talk to a tech about your situation. You are going to learn more from that phone call than you will with 10 days worth of posting messages on an internet forum.

Be sure to share your findings :)

Kenneth_CS87 10-13-2006 11:39 PM

Does any know what good header setup would work with the swap?

Werewolf 10-14-2006 06:37 AM

LT-1's like Hooker long tubes from what I've heard from a bunch of guys with way more experience than I.

pdr510 10-14-2006 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowTieOgre (Post 1827031)

low4life1 - I cant make heads or tails of the S&P website...can you tell me what exactly you ordered?

pdr510 - I will be running A/C. Ive been told I need to notch the frame or get a vette setup...any ideas?

Thanks

I am running the bower's ac relocate bracket. www.bowersrodshop.com is the website you can get the info. I have seen the whole corvette set up on ebay from time to time. I have seen pictures of frames notched to make the ac clear. It was not something I wanted to do.