The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Detailing (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   tricks for removing paint swirl and light scratches (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=553598)

stocker96 11-26-2012 03:02 AM

tricks for removing paint swirl and light scratches

What do some of you guys use to remove paint swirl and or light scratches. my truck looks awful in the sun because of them It's also sometimes called "spiderwebbing" any trick, proceedures or product recommendations much welcomed.

bk2life 11-26-2012 06:07 AM

Re: tricks for removing paint swirl and light scratches

waxing helps alot.

and if you havent had it buffed in a while, get it buffed. compound to clean it up, finesse then some swirl remover..

then wax again.

stocker96 11-26-2012 10:52 PM

I don't think the truck's been buffed since 2000. just been waxed alot. I'm thinking that alot of the swirls have come from that.

A.Bursell 11-27-2012 03:18 AM

I always start milder and work towards more aggressive if needed. That means start with a polish, it may just need to be cleaned up. Then go to a compound if it's not showing signs of improvement. Are you doing this by hand or with a machine? Machine makes for a much nicer (and faster!) finish. The swirls probably are from washing, or if from waxing then from the material you used to wax and buff. If that's the case, I would think a mild polish would be all that you need.

Adam

72BlckButy 11-27-2012 03:20 PM

I would use an electric buffer (beware buffing through the clear coat or paint) to remove the swirls. You can use different compounds some of which are more abrasive than others to give you a good base to work from.

Check out this:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533527

LEEVON 11-27-2012 03:31 PM

Check out autogeek.net (no affiliation). They have some great tutorials, there is a forum also I think. I have a PorterCable 7424 dual action polisher, which is pretty much the detailer's standard. To remove swirls, depending on how bad and what color and type of paint I start with a wash and a claybar rub. Then work the paint with a heavy or medium swirl remover on an agressive pad. I might step up to a lighter swirl remover, then a polish, then a glaze or sealant. It's not cheap or easy to do it the right way, but rewarding. It takes me the better part of a weekend to do a whole car like this, which is why I don't do it often. On my '71 which gets driven hard and put away wet, every couple of years I'll just do the hood and maybe the tops of the fenders where the reflections are seen.

Bottom line is that you actually have to cut the clear coat (or paint if single stage). Filler type waxes don't work. Also, some people may be able to make those furry pad rotarty buffers work, but in my opinion they do more harm than good. The worst spiderwebs I've seen come from dealerships or detail shops who do those on a quick "detail".

stocker96 11-27-2012 09:20 PM

Yeah, I only hand wax, but these swirls are getting hard to ignore.

big mike71 12-01-2012 06:45 PM

Try 3M machine polish, #05996, it's what my paint shop said to use and it good for me. It's $40.00 for a quart, but it goes along ways.

stocker96 12-02-2012 04:02 AM

I'll check that out thanks Big Mike.

fastwillie 696969 12-11-2012 02:47 PM

pay the 150 bucks have it done by pro detailer or repaint the truck