The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Rich72C10 06-09-2021 04:29 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Low Rider by War comes to mind right about now....

@ChevyGuyNC - now I see why we only get the driver side photos after your wash LOL! Glad Manes and my posting helped you out, that gal is a real nice lady for sure!

ChevyGuyNC 06-09-2021 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8930650)
@ChevyGuyNC - now I see why we only get the driver side photos after your wash LOL! Glad Manes and my posting helped you out, that gal is a real nice lady for sure!

LOL! That wasn't intentional, I swear... Yes, she sure was nice and I know I'll have my mirror in a few days rather than waiting for the 'big box' guys to ship... Told her y'all recommended me.

Rich72C10 06-10-2021 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made my 300 drive to Kilgore! Truck ran like a dream, 13.5 mpg going 65 ~ 75 and through tons of little towns on US hwy 79!

Also daughter had a good nap - kids can sleep anywhere ;-)

70cst 06-10-2021 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My refurbished CB came in today ...

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-10-2021 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cst (Post 8931058)
My refurbished CB came in today ...

NICE!

After waiting months for parts long story & the COVID ecomoney;) I was able to install the coolant assembly and that. Anyone ever notice a fan's not center inside a shroud, at least BBC? My fan is about 2" off the original shroud on the LH side and just 1/2" on the RH side. Looks about even up & down. That one threw me, but from different angles the core support is square the cab within 1/10" at most. OT, I think the center hole in the dash for a dash pad is center the cab, for what worth. Once I found that there are other indicators, such as speaker's grill is centered.

Anyway, I have another BBC truck, the fan is more centered inside the shroud left and right, but then again it doesn't have the original shroud and can't speak for the alignment.

72c20customcamper 06-12-2021 10:53 AM

Put a rebuilt carb on the 68. Ran much better but also found the PCV was defective .Runs great now

KQQL IT 06-12-2021 05:37 PM

Rear bushing and seal in the 700r4- still leaks. :/
New 1350 rear u joint.

Rich72C10 06-13-2021 05:54 PM

Made it back from my East Texas trip today, which was my first long ride. I put just under 2k miles on her between Thursday and today (Sunday). Overall MPG a little over 12 mpg for the whole trip! She ran like a dream. In between Kilgore and Kyle, more or less cruised 70~75. When punching it to pass a slow moving semi truck, I'd be just touching 90!

The only bit of trouble I had was was the blower fan switch. On my last fill up (60 miles from home), I had a hard time getting the fan to kick in. I knew it was being a bit flaky but let it slip my mind to get the fan switch replaced. The A/C had been pretty much blowing on high or one step down. One thing, I am glad I got my tint before taking the trip!

west9378 06-13-2021 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I must be the world's Greatest Grinder because my welding well it might be a little lacking.

I am trying to weld a cab dolly and I make one pass with the welder and one or two with the grinder. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be done.

I am using a old stick machine I hear mig is easier maybe I should try mig.

body bolt 06-13-2021 06:28 PM

Got out there before it heated up and changed the alternator. It had been shutting off at low rpm and required a higher speed than normal to turn on again. Fixed.

body bolt 06-13-2021 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich72C10 (Post 8932095)
The only bit of trouble I had was was the blower fan switch.

Yeah, the blower switches suck. For a long time after my switch connector melted I had been using a HD toggle switch hanging under the dash that switched it to high only.

Ol Blue K20 06-13-2021 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west9378 (Post 8932098)
I must be the world's Greatest Grinder because my welding well it might be a little lacking.

I am trying to weld a cab dolly and I make one pass with the welder and one or two with the grinder. Maybe that is how it is supposed to be done.

I am using a old stick machine I hear mig is easier maybe I should try mig.

Turn the heat down a bit and move a bit faster. Otherwise not bad for a stick on thin 2all tubing.

Grumpy old man 06-13-2021 08:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dash repair done . A/C vents cut in , firewall shaved and smoothed , getting closer to paint . :chevy:

Ol Blue K20 06-13-2021 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8932140)
Dash repair done . A/C vents cut in , firewall shaved and smoothed , getting closer to paint . :chevy:

Looking good Grumpy! :metal:

cab4word67 06-13-2021 10:57 PM

Well I got the new upper control arms installed today. Got all the newly made hinge parts blasted and are in the hot tank tell tomorrow, pics to come. Yesterday I got the rear brake line installed with the needed mods and cleaned the inside on the box. So much to do. hood came off today so we can install the motor Monday, then check driveline for leingh and dif angle. Ordered the wheels too.
https://i.ibb.co/T4mgSqF/GQZD9957.jpg

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-14-2021 02:49 AM

Quote:

Nice Grumps

west9378 06-14-2021 04:17 PM

Grumpy that is beautiful work, I am trying to decide where to buy filler panels and based on my welding skills from earlier post I will also need to find a welder if better skills than I have.

Ol Blue thank you for the suggestion of heat down and speed up. I want to buy a mig welder but I am trying to have a good excuse ready for the accountant/wife.

Blessings you guys

Grumpy old man 06-14-2021 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys , west9378 there are way better welders on this board than myself but that is why God invented grinders ! :lol: I learned awhile back whenever you need new expensive tools or parts for your project the best way to get your accountant/wife on board is to keep showing them the new truck ads and when they see those $50,000.00 and up price tags they seem to be a lot more receptive to a $500.00 welder . I know the purist go crazy every time they see another smoothed firewall but this cab was a good candidate for it and I have another rust free 67 cab for a stock build after this ones done . :chevy:

67C10Step 06-14-2021 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grumpy,
My firewall is not the worst but will need some attention. I like the looks of yours and may go that exact route when I pull the trigger on a full paint job. I'm no skilled welder but I make up for it in grinding wheels and patience.

Recently for me it's just been scuffing and priming, scuffing and priming.

body bolt 06-14-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

You do good work.

Already Gone 06-18-2021 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ordered a Borgeson Quick Ration Steering Box which is the last piece I need for my complete front end rebuild.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...productid=1805

OregonNed 06-18-2021 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My granddaughter and I doing a little truck bonding. I swear she thinks this will be hers someday!

cab4word67 06-18-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8933772)
I ordered a Borgeson Quick Ration Steering Box which is the last piece I need for my complete front end rebuild.

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...productid=1805

Nice they didnt make that for mine 40 years ago when i started my build, so I installed a 3 turn out of a TA, not just a bolt in. worked out well connected it to a cadi telo/ tilt column and added a vette wheel

pjmoreland 06-18-2021 05:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Replaced the Precision vent window seals I installed a few months ago with NOS seals. Took me about 6 hours per door, but it was totally worth it to get rid of the whistling wind noise caused by the Precision seals. I'll be happy if I don't have to disassemble my doors again anytime soon.

Rich72C10 06-18-2021 05:56 PM

Ha! I know how you feel, though went with replacements from RogerKoop! Makes me wonder what seals he uses. But I kind of bummed about the new repo glass but it is scratch free.

When I washed my truck a few days ago, not one drop of water made it through the doors/windows! I am sealed up good!

Great job pjmoreland!