The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Ls swap radiator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601424)

ivorton74 10-22-2013 10:36 PM

Ls swap radiator

What are u guys running for a radiator in ur trucks? I was thinking about using the stock sbc rad but is there something better i can use? Have to change it anyway because it leaks

Blackpony 10-23-2013 12:07 AM

Re: Ls swap radiator

I just used a heavy duty stock replacement for my truck.

mcmlxix 10-23-2013 12:54 AM

Depends on budget... I would like to run an aluminum radiator with the inlet/outlet on the same side and have a provisions for a steam port... I'll start with the stock SBC radiator for now and go from there...

jorgensensc 10-23-2013 01:50 AM

I modified the core support and used the stock radiator and dual electric fans from the donor vehicle.

Clyde65 10-23-2013 09:11 AM

Champion is what I used, put the steam port in the top Rad hose using jagsthatrun's adapter. the Radiator came with dual electric fans so that is what I use.

ivorton74 10-23-2013 02:43 PM

Can a camaro or firebird ls1 rad work?

Andy4639 10-23-2013 06:38 PM

Plan to use the stock 4 row I have now. Later after the money starts coming in again I will change over to the one on E-bay with both hoses on passenger side along with steam port.;):chevy:

pete63 10-23-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivorton74 (Post 6329467)
Can a camaro or firebird ls1 rad work?

I am going to run a lt1 radiator with factory ls1 fans. I would of liked to do an aluminum but this is what i have and the fbody fans are pretty common in a lsx swap from what I have read. First swap so learning as I go.

67Steven 10-23-2013 09:11 PM

Just stay away from R-n-D Fab. Didn't fit at all, was missing parts and then charged me $$ just to take it back. A real pain to deal with.

I went with the Entropy radiator and couldn't be happier!

Mr. 250r 10-23-2013 10:17 PM

kept factory 91 suburban one and put the steam line onto a fitting it has on it

ivorton74 10-23-2013 10:46 PM

anyone have pics of their rad with the steam port thing fitted?

BigDan3131 10-24-2013 02:25 AM

I'm going to use either the Summit or Jegs 2 row radiators both are around $230.00. I removed the stock radiator mounts and am getting one where the core is as wide as the opening. Overall width is about 27" X 19"

solidaxel 10-24-2013 08:09 AM

The one I am going to use is the stock 78 tanks and had the three core changed to a high output larger tube and higher fin count. The shop said it will be better than the 3 core they removed. I then had them add a bung above the trans cooler ports for a steam port. He said they work great here n the SW in June !!

SparkyRnD 12-22-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Steven (Post 6330072)
Just stay away from R-n-D Fab. Didn't fit at all, was missing parts and then charged me $$ just to take it back. A real pain to deal with.

I went with the Entropy radiator and couldn't be happier!

I'll give the full story on this one. We made the radiator and had the mounts in the incorrect spot. We also missed adding the steam port, which we discussed with the customer. Per our company policies we were building them a replacement, but the customer was unhappy and wasn't willing to accept a replacement. We gave them a refund minus shipping. The full product price was refunded, even though that wasn't part of the terms & conditions the customer had agreed to when purchasing.

If you do some searching, you will see that over the last 5+ years, and thousands of radiators sold, that there have been maybe 4 or 5 instances where there were mistakes and / or the customer wasn't satisfied, and in each case, we refunded the purchase price. We strive to make the best product we can, and in a few cases, we fell short of that goal. When we do make mistakes, we make replacements and send to the customer at our expense. It's unfortunate that we weren't able to get Steven a product he was happy with, but we do have a very good reputation and always look for ways to improve. You can also see on this forum that we have satisfied customers and that the radiators do fit properly.

Big Port Jimmy 6 12-22-2013 11:31 AM

I ran my steam port back into the water pump via a drilled and tapped hole. Jay

Billett 12-23-2013 11:58 AM

Ran my steam port to water pump also. I used the stock SBC rad for a while, but mine started to leak. Just from age and use, nothing wrong with using them. I just happened to get a good deal on an aluminum from pro performance so that's what I run now. Its a champion 3 row, and I picked it up for just over $200, no fans. I use a late 90s Silverado dual fan setup. Needed a lot of trimming but it was free!

ivorton74 12-23-2013 07:04 PM

do u guys have pics of ur rad setups?

TR65 12-23-2013 11:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I used a Griffin set up for an LS motor with the correct inlet and outlet size and the steam port bung. These radiators are made in SC. They make all the parts, cores, tanks, fittings. I used one rated for 600 hp so I had to fabricate the upper and lower clamps, just like stock except wider.

These are really nice radiators. You can see the steam line hookup in the first picture. I tried a Champion and the core leaked pretty quickly.

TR

stevenbear72 12-24-2013 12:12 AM

I'm most likely going with the Rnd radiator and shroud, Sparky told me I should have no issues with it.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...%20c10/rad.jpg

67Steven 12-24-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparkyRnD (Post 6429829)
I'll give the full story on this one. We made the radiator and had the mounts in the incorrect spot. We also missed adding the steam port, which we discussed with the customer. Per our company policies we were building them a replacement, but the customer was unhappy and wasn't willing to accept a replacement. We gave them a refund minus shipping. The full product price was refunded, even though that wasn't part of the terms & conditions the customer had agreed to when purchasing.

If you do some searching, you will see that over the last 5+ years, and thousands of radiators sold, that there have been maybe 4 or 5 instances where there were mistakes and / or the customer wasn't satisfied, and in each case, we refunded the purchase price. We strive to make the best product we can, and in a few cases, we fell short of that goal. When we do make mistakes, we make replacements and send to the customer at our expense. It's unfortunate that we weren't able to get Steven a product he was happy with, but we do have a very good reputation and always look for ways to improve. You can also see on this forum that we have satisfied customers and that the radiators do fit properly.

I have a record of emails that spell a different story.

I would have been more than happy with a replacement. In fact, I originally did ask for a correct unit for my application, not a refund. I only asked for a refund after waiting 2 weeks for research into the problem, and then being told you were waiting for pictures and were not sure how much longer it would be before actual work on a replacement would begin. I was denied a refund and so I waited some more.

You offered the refund after 'working' on my original unit for 3 weeks and did not know how much longer it would be. From notifying you of the problem to the refund was almost 11 weeks.

Your radiators seem to be of good quality, just the poor customer service that I experienced soured my opinion.

ivorton74 12-24-2013 01:05 AM

if I run the stock sbc how do I route the rad hoses?

Blackpony 12-24-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivorton74 (Post 6432671)
if I run the stock sbc how do I route the rad hoses?

I just used a factory lower hose for my 85 then used the factory upper from like an 03 5.3 truck. All fits well here with just a little trimming to the hoses to make them fit just right.

ivorton74 12-24-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony (Post 6432699)
I just used a factory lower hose for my 85 then used the factory upper from like an 03 5.3 truck. All fits well here with just a little trimming to the hoses to make them fit just right.

got any pics of it? I want to know exactly what it supposed to look like

Blackpony 12-24-2013 10:26 AM

Sure no problem. Excuse the ugliness

Here is how the top hose is routed. I will snap a pic of the lower hose in a bit and post it up.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1a8e3f82.jpg

solidaxel 12-24-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackpony (Post 6432952)
Sure no problem. Excuse the ugliness

Here is how the top hose is routed. I will snap a pic of the lower hose in a bit and post it up.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps1a8e3f82.jpg

What is the little tank next to the alt. used for?