The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   Dolphin Quad Gauges - Not Recommended (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=312195)

Houston54 10-26-2008 11:00 PM

Dolphin Quad Gauges - Not Recommended

1 Attachment(s)
If you are considering Dolphin for a set of 5 inch quad gauges you might want to consider my experience. I installed a set last July in my 54 Chevy and noticed on the first night ride the illumination between the two buckets was significantly different with the speedo nice and bright and the gauge bucket very dim. Thinking I had wiring it incorrectly I checked everything and confirmed my grounds. Everything checked out. I contacted the Dolphin Tech line and was informed they were aware of the problem and were working on a new gauge bucket with brighter lighting. I was told to call back in a month and they would swap the unit I had out with a new one. Sounded good to me.

Two months later I called to see if the new buckets were available and was informed they will not be fixing the problem and they suggested I wiring in a resistor to reduce the lighting level of the speedo to match the gauge bucket. This is not an acceptable solution to me. If the problem had been know going into the purchase I would not have selected this product.

I requested they buy back gauges from me or refund my purchase price to which I have not received a reply.

I have attached a pic of the gauges at night. While the gauges can be read it is not as easy as the speedo which is obvious. If you would be happy with this level of lighting or only drive during the day then these might be the instruments for you but to me they are a second rate product which will be included in my next swap meet material.

Houston54 11-07-2008 03:41 PM

Re: Dolphin Quad Gauges - Not Recommended (UPDATE)

Wanted to provide an update to this:
I have had an email discussion with Dolphin regarding this problem. Seems it got the attention of someone high enough on the ladder to give a green light to corrective action.

I think it bodes well they are doing something positive to address the issue instead of shooting the messager.

If the fix solves the problem I will be back to let you know.

hotrod 80 11-08-2008 12:07 PM

Re: Dolphin Quad Gauges - Not Recommended

Please keep us updated on this . I just bought a set for the 49' and have not even opened the box .

Houston54 11-16-2009 03:32 PM

After giving this company many opportunities to correct the problem either by providing me with a new gauge bucket with updated lighting or refunding me some of the initial cost I am tossing in the towel.

Since I made my initial post I contacted Dolphin several times. Each time I was told the fix was in process. The Fix has never been done. Their 5" quad gauge is a poor product. The company knows of the problem but continues to sell it.

Please do not waste your time and money as I have by dealing with this company.

It is a shame that the magazines continue to take this companies dollars for advertising. I guess they do not care about us either and just want the money.

andrewmp6 11-26-2009 09:11 AM

That's odd a company that won't stand behid there products.If they won't fix it you could try adding some leds to it should work.

71meangreenc10 11-26-2009 05:09 PM

That sucks,
I was considering picking up a set. Thanks for the review.

Smitty

kev2809 11-27-2009 10:43 PM

man that sucks. i wonder how they even make the lighting that far off, knowing as soon as its on it will be noticeable. good luck to ya

0331grunt 12-03-2009 04:53 PM

Has anyone had any problems with the AutoMeter quads? Just curious.. I am going with a quad set up- but NOT Dolphin!

thrtsxchambers 12-25-2009 03:32 PM

Man that sux, I was planning on using those gauges in my truck but guess I'll look for something else. Glad I found this post, I should be ordering some soon

leddzepp 12-26-2009 06:05 PM

Wow Houston! Your original post was a year ago. You have way more patience than I do. :lol:

Houston54 12-15-2010 11:16 AM

Since I have seen several people opting to use these guages during the past year I thought I would give this a bump in the hope others who may be thinking of using these guages will be aware of the problems.

Houston54 05-24-2011 06:20 PM

btt

7T2 05-24-2011 06:45 PM

Thanks for bumping this up...I always thought Dolphin made a nice looking product, and I am half-heartedly looking for some gauges to replace a set of Autoloc gauges I'm not entirely happy with. I will take this into consideration on my next purchase.

Maybe direct them to this thread? If they see enough people are changing their mind because of it maybe they will do something about it?

Clyde65 05-25-2011 11:07 AM

I have used Dolphin gauges for over 6 years, I have always been satisfied with their quality. I dont particularly care for their customer service just because talking to someone or getting emails back in a timely manner is like flossing alligator teeth. I have had a few issues with a guage here and there, they have always sent a new one without question, all though I didnt know they did until I get a package at my door.

Indian113 05-25-2011 09:31 PM

Has anyone used the 5 or 6 gauge sets ? The price is close to VDO 5 gauge set for a 6 gauge Dolphin or Shark set

Clyde65 05-26-2011 05:39 PM

I have both. a 6 guage and a 5 guage, both work fine.

Houston54 05-27-2011 09:22 AM

This thread is specific to their 5" quad set. I do not have any opinion about any of their other products other than based on my current experience I would look elsewhere first.

This company is aware of this thread and others I have posted on similar sites. I am only sharing my experience with this company and with this specific product so others can be aware of its shortcomings. The gauges have worked well for the 3 years and 37K miles I have been running them and fortunately most of those miles are in the day light.

They have my contact information and have opted not to make an effort to resolve my issues with this product.

dfleming7 05-29-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 4701882)
I have both. a 6 guage and a 5 guage, both work fine.

Don't mean to hijack thread. But, was wondering if anyone has wiring procedure for these on a '69?

Clyde65 05-29-2011 02:37 PM

wiring procedures? they are pretty straight forward, what are you looking for exactly?

Olden Days 05-29-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfleming7 (Post 4706156)
Don't mean to hijack thread. But, was wondering if anyone has wiring procedure for these on a '69?

Looks like you "mean it" to me.

I dont care if they have "some" good products. Customer service means a lot to me. I had looked at their line of gauges but after seeing this thread without any attempt by Dolphin to respond , I sure wont be doing any business with them.
after telling the OP to wire in a resistor, at the very least they should have sent said resistor with wire harness if that is their fix

BB72CHEVKT 06-01-2011 05:26 PM

emailed the company

McCoyAZ 09-27-2011 08:57 AM

I was also considering gauges from Dolphin.

After reading this thread I sent them an email.

Their reply to me was that the light issue was only an issue if using a programmable speedo and it was not an issue if using a mechanical speedo.

Iwonder if that is the underlying problem for real?

scott

OJ1988 09-27-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCoyAZ (Post 4922444)
I was also considering gauges from Dolphin.

After reading this thread I sent them an email.

Their reply to me was that the light issue was only an issue if using a programmable speedo and it was not an issue if using a mechanical speedo.

Iwonder if that is the underlying problem for real?

scott

If that is true, then the mechanical speedo will be as dim as the quad gauge posted above.

Way to dim for night driving imo.

motornut 10-04-2011 08:56 PM

heck one looks yellow and one white
way to dark.....
not gona buy that one

51chevytruck 10-14-2011 06:37 PM

Bump.....Glad I found this, was going to go with Dolphin Gauges!!!