The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Courtesy Lights (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=722371)

Ryanz 11-13-2016 12:44 AM

Courtesy Lights

Can anyone tell me if both driver and passenger side courtesy lights are supposed to come on when you open one door? I've just installed mine and have it wired so that only the light in which door you're opening comes on. Not sure if that's how it was from the factory?

pound41 11-13-2016 10:19 AM

Re: Courtesy Lights

both should come on when either door is open

Cap'n Hook 11-13-2016 07:15 PM

Both.

Ryanz 11-13-2016 11:22 PM

Thanks guys - I thought so. I must have missed a step. Will go back and look at my wiring. I was going to tie them into my interior lights on my hard top but I know that's not how they came from the factory, so I think I'll leave them stock.

pound41 11-14-2016 09:37 AM

If you have lights in your top you have a single wall. I owned a single wall top years ago so I cannot remember. My double wall tops no lights. My courtesy lights are wired to the headlight switch. I would assume they would all be tied together

cleszkie 11-14-2016 06:06 PM

All interior lights should be tied together, and run through the headlight switch. When I open a door, all under dash and hardtop lights come on. They also all come on when I twist the headlight switch knob all the way clockwise with doors closed.

Ryanz 11-14-2016 10:06 PM

I didn't think they came that way from the factory? I'm pretty sure I read on a previous thread that you had to turn the dome lights on manually. But clearly I must have something wrong. I just have them wired into my fuse box.

truckster 11-14-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 7768450)
All interior lights should be tied together, and run through the headlight switch. When I open a door, all under dash and hardtop lights come on. They also all come on when I twist the headlight switch knob all the way clockwise with doors closed.

And if you want more light, a rear view mirror from an S-10 with map lights would really help. It's the same as the one I have in my Z-28 (it's a convertible, so no dome lights) and it really helps at night. I'm planning on adding that to my build.

DeadheadNM 11-15-2016 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7767854)
Thanks guys - I thought so. I must have missed a step. Will go back and look at my wiring. I was going to tie them into my interior lights on my hard top but I know that's not how they came from the factory, so I think I'll leave them stock.

If you have a single wall top with the dome lights chances are your k5 was not equipped with underdash lights from GM as these were on double wall top k5s. I believe (maybe I'm wrong) the dome lights superseded the underdash lights, which are never the less a nice add.

Ryanz 11-16-2016 12:34 AM

Yes - that seems to be the consensus. So, if wired to factory specs, I should wire it through the light switch as well as into the fuse box? If anyone has done this can you please explain how you did it. Thanks guys.

Cap'n Hook 11-18-2016 10:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just tied together by a common 12volt wire. Whenever either door opens, the door pin grounds the circuit and passes 12volts to the lights.

Ryanz 11-19-2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook (Post 7772027)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they're just tied together by a common 12volt wire. Whenever either door opens, the door pin grounds the circuit and passes 12volts to the lights.

Yes, but each is their own separate ground to the door pin so how is it possible to get them both to come on at the same time? Run a wire to connect both grounds - as in from one pin to the other?

Cap'n Hook 11-20-2016 01:40 PM

No, I believe they just share a common 12volt wire between the lights and the fuse box. I may be wrong, it's been 8-10 years since I rewired mine. No need to wire for sharing ground as the body of the truck is the common ground for both door pins.

Ryanz 11-24-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap'n Hook (Post 7773239)
No, I believe they just share a common 12volt wire between the lights and the fuse box. I may be wrong, it's been 8-10 years since I rewired mine. No need to wire for sharing ground as the body of the truck is the common ground for both door pins.

Yes, that's how they're wired - with the common wire. For some reason they only come on individually and not together.