The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Welding on stainless sill plates (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=815592)

chewychevy67 12-12-2020 12:04 AM

Welding on stainless sill plates

2 Attachment(s)
Both are stainless steel. I was wondering if the gmc portion of the 60 66 sill plate could be welded into the center of a 67 72 sill plate and look seamless after polishing or would the weld be visible considering that both are made from the same stainless? Wish they just made the gmc 67 72 sils like the bowtie ones.

Getter-Done 12-12-2020 12:33 AM

Re: Welding on stainless sill plates

Great Idea.:metal:

A person that is very good at TIG Welding

could do this.

mongocanfly 12-12-2020 12:36 AM

Agreed...tig in a experienced hand could knock that out..

chewychevy67 12-12-2020 12:46 AM

Ok. I should have added that I won't be doing this myself. I'd be seeking a professional. I just wanted to know if it could be done to look seemless

Getter-Done 12-12-2020 01:03 AM

Yea I understand:ito:

I have a Friend I call on for stuff like that;)

mongocanfly 12-12-2020 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got one of those friends to...haha..
This tailgate pic is just for reference ...my friend had a guy come to him, that did a hidden tailgate latch on his square body...he welded a patch piece in the tailgate trim..(circled in red)..to fill in the handle notch..it was almost flawless...you had to get the reflection just right to even notice it..and that is some thin aluminum
So yep ..good on you for seeking out a pro..show some pics when you get it done..

chewychevy67 12-12-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8848612)
I got one of those friends to...haha..
This tailgate pic is just for reference ...my friend had a guy come to him, that did a hidden tailgate latch on his square body...he welded a patch piece in the tailgate trim..(circled in red)..to fill in the handle notch..it was almost flawless...you had to get the reflection just right to even notice it..and that is some thin aluminum
So yep ..good on you for seeking out a pro..show some pics when you get it done..

I like details like that. It looks smooth. I'll post pictures when it is finished.

Jrainman 12-21-2020 10:49 PM

you will be hard pressed to find a welder that would take on welding Stainless to a carbon steel job, I am not saying it can not be done , but you have to understand it is a very difficult task to complete, welding 2 different metals do not weld well at all they take 2 different heats settings so you will have to fight that issue first and a nice finish result will be hard to obtain you will need some kind of filler also to help with the welding process . I have welding certs in stainless and carbon and have major experience in welding stainless and If you asked me I would say no ,but you may find someone who will just know its a very difficult task and you may not like the end result .

chewychevy67 12-21-2020 10:51 PM

Both sets are stainless steel. I wouldn't want 2 different metals welded together. The gmc set I just purchased is on back order so it may take a while to get this done.

Jrainman 12-21-2020 11:02 PM

Ah ok miss read thought you were trying to inlay the GMC portion rite in to the rocker . So yes can be done but a lot of sanding ,honing and polishing to get it seamless ..

chewychevy67 12-21-2020 11:17 PM

That would be cool too. I never thought of that. I should get a steel one and do that instead Maby???

Dieselwrencher 12-22-2020 10:24 AM

I'd do the SS first and try it. Especially if both of these parts are SS. I'm no professional welder and I can't tell you how many times I've welded a SS part to a mild steel part. With a mig. And they all welded up good and never cracked. It really has to do with the properties of the SS. Look at semi trailers. Most of the rear door frames and ICC bumpers are SS now. But all of that welds to mild steel framing. I'm betting a good tig welder will get it knocked out for you.