The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Big 10 adventure! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=802474)

mcm1209 03-10-2020 09:23 AM

Big 10 adventure!

5 Attachment(s)
Recently found a 78 Big 10 in Albuquerque. 0 rust.. Love the look of the 2 tone and the fact that it has working AC, original moldings, original paint, original interior made me buy 3 one way tickets for me and my boys. Got up at 4 am Sat and left Houston at 6:30 am. Arrived in Albuquerque at around 9:30 (NM time). Made the deal, went to Advanced to pick up an order i had placed for fluids and some random parts. Took off back home at around 11 NM time. New crate engine was just installed Thursday so it only had about 80 miles on it. Trans was also recently rebuilt with less than 300 miles on it. Varied the speed between 55-70 MPH until I got to Lubbock and got an oil change.
Got home at 3:30. Loved that I got to experience it with my boys. Will not hesitate to do it again. Truck ran perfect for almost 900 miles. Now to take care of the details to make it that much better.

mcm1209 03-10-2020 09:24 AM

Re: Big 10 adventure!

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

93M6Formula 03-10-2020 10:47 AM

That's awesome man, looking forward to something like that when I have kids. Also a good looking little C10.

VWNate1 03-10-2020 12:20 PM

Big 10 adventure!

Wow, what a lovely truck .

I too took my son along on many many cross America road trips to buy projects or just have fun traveling the blue roads...

You're building their character and showing them the love .

Mathew21 03-10-2020 04:41 PM

That's a beauty! And a great story to go with it.

truckin 79 03-10-2020 05:55 PM

That is a great looking truck and awesome that your sons wanted to go along. Making sure the next generation is keeping the hobby alive. :metal:

mcm1209 03-11-2020 05:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks..
Started making it better already
Did the door pins and cab mounts
Today I receive sound deadening material
Friday I should receive all the new weatherstripping as well. Wont do anything to it because I'm traveling to Austin for our wedding anniversary, but i do work on it after work.

ShortHaul 03-11-2020 10:00 PM

That's so rad! I love the truck, love the road trip even more!

VWNate1 03-11-2020 11:35 PM

Square Body Doors

Boy does that bring back the memories ~ at one time I was supporting a large municipal fleet that used mostly square bodes, in time I added the door hinge bushings and door check 'Z' torsion bars to my stock inventory, they went fast .

mcm1209 03-13-2020 08:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortHaul (Post 8693169)
That's so rad! I love the truck, love the road trip even more!

The trip was the best!!

Did cab mounts and adjusted the body lines. Body sat lower than the bed. I checked bed mounts and i guess the bed mounts straight to the frame?
This was very easy.. bolts came out no problem. Love that this truck has 0 rust!!
Mounts didn't look too bad but i sure after 42 years they were ready to come out!

Any way I added a couple washers to make the body lines match. That with the doors being close to in stock location I'm happy.

EDIT: Why are my pics coming out sideways?

Katrina/10 03-13-2020 08:58 AM

I didn't like the urethane cab mounts on my truck, switched them for rubber.

rustyfive-seven 03-13-2020 09:27 AM

awesome story! I just replaced my body mount bushings also, didn't add extra shims- body alignment came right back and doors closed better. I replace pin bushings too. nice truck!

mcm1209 03-13-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina/10 (Post 8693927)
I didn't like the urethane cab mounts on my truck, switched them for rubber.

What was it that you didn't like?

I never have ridden in a truck with poly mounts, this will be the first time. I asked opinions and the majority said to go with poly. So I.m just going to see how it rides. If i don't like it ill just get rubber.

VWNate1 03-13-2020 03:04 PM

Urethane Mounts

Urethane mounts are great for suspension and engine tranny but when used to the body/frame interface they transfer a huge amount of NVH and also fatigue the sheet metal rapidly .

Do this with caution, few like the results and the off roaders discover torn floors before long .
'

Katrina/10 03-14-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcm1209 (Post 8693976)
What was it that you didn't like?

I never have ridden in a truck with poly mounts, this will be the first time. I asked opinions and the majority said to go with poly. So I.m just going to see how it rides. If i don't like it ill just get rubber.

Sorry, I didn't see your question about cab mounts. I put the poly on mine and as soon as I took a ride on the interstate the noise is the cab was much greater. I replaced them with rubber I got from LMC, and it was back to normal. LMC seems to be the only company offering rubber. Unfortunately, the core support mounts are already cracking.

Corts60 03-14-2020 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina/10 (Post 8694612)
Sorry, I didn't see your question about cab mounts. I put the poly on mine and as soon as I took a ride on the interstate the noise is the cab was much greater. I replaced them with rubber I got from LMC, and it was back to normal. LMC seems to be the only company offering rubber. Unfortunately, the core support mounts are already cracking.

I also found the poly mounts were too stiff on my shortie square. It transmitted a lot of vibration to the cab. If I ever do it again, I would go with rubber for sure.

Beautiful truck!

mcm1209 03-16-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katrina/10 (Post 8694612)

So yeah!! I took a 20 min ride up the road to register the truck and did notice the truck felt "stiffer' and felt the road more.. I guess that's how I would describe it. Ill see how it does in the next couple weeks and make a decision. How old are the mounts that they are already cracking?

Thanks for the input.

Katrina/10 03-16-2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcm1209 (Post 8695996)
So yeah!! I took a 20 min ride up the road to register the truck and did notice the truck felt "stiffer' and felt the road more.. I guess that's how I would describe it. Ill see how it does in the next couple weeks and make a decision. How old are the mounts that they are already cracking?

Thanks for the input.

The mounts that cracked are the core supports, less than a year old. They may have been a bad batch? The cab supports are fine.

mcm1209 03-16-2020 08:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Did some more "maintenance"" on ole big10 this weekend. Did Kill mat and Precision weatherstripping this weekend. I have still to do the doors and vent windows. Ill start taking the doors apart today. Already have the rivets for the vent windows and seals.
Amazed to see not a spec of rust on this thing under the carpet. I did inspect the usual places for rust but am very pleased to not even see surface rust anywhere.

Attachment 1991567

Attachment 1991568

Attachment 1991569

Attachment 1991570

Attachment 1991571

MikeB 03-18-2020 06:46 PM

Re: Urethane Mounts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 8694124)
Urethane mounts are great for suspension and engine tranny but when used to the body/frame interface they transfer a huge amount of NVH and also fatigue the sheet metal rapidly .

Do this with caution, few like the results and the off roaders discover torn floors before long .
'

Added poly cab mounts to a 69 C10 around 1995. My son has the truck now, and we've never had a problem that I know of. However, the floor is rust-free and it's got pretty smooth suspension. But maybe I should check it next time I visit him.

What's funny is I had installed real GM bushings, and they were already cracking and sagging after 3-4 years. Maybe they were VOS (very old stock).

mcm1209 03-19-2020 08:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So did a couple more things to big10.. glove box liner needed replacing so took care of that with a new liner from LMC. Started working on the vent windows and man were they a pain. I was worried about removing them from the door but the PO "sealed" them with what I think is RTV. What a pain to remove. Scuffed up the frames and painted. I had already bought a rivet kit and placed it in a safe place where I can remember and guess what.. I cant remember!!!
So ordered another kit and I don't think it will be here before the weekend so no cruising this weekend.

MikeB 03-19-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcm1209 (Post 8697880)
Started working on the vent windows and man were they a pain.

For sure! One of the toughest projects I've done on my 82 C10. I recall using lots of silicon spray and and a plastic putty knife to "persuade" the rubber into place.

FYI, if your truck doesn't already have them, these "upper door seals" will help seal out wind noise and water. From what I understand, they were used only on high end models and snapped in. These aftermarket versions have a strong adhesive on one side. They made a big difference on my truck, and got rid of some wind noise and a pesky water leak. A great addition to new door gaskets.

https://www.soffseal.com/ss-9352

mcm1209 03-19-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8697944)
For sure! One of the toughest projects I've done on my 82 C10. I recall using lots of silicon spray and and a plastic putty knife to "persuade" the rubber into place.

FYI, if your truck doesn't already have them, these "upper door seals" will help seal out wind noise and water. From what I understand, they were used only on high end models and snapped in. These aftermarket versions have a strong adhesive on one side. They made a big difference on my truck, and got rid of some wind noise and a pesky water leak. A great addition to new door gaskets.

Oh haven't even started putting back together. Have to wait for the rivets or find the ones I put away! lol
I did drive it before I took it apart and just the cab to door seals on there and it made a massive difference.

Yeah mine had them but they were also rotted.. Was surprised when I didn't see them in the box of new seals. Thanks for the link.

Hart_Rod 03-20-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8697944)

Do you have a picture of these installed? Thanks!

MikeB 03-20-2020 04:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8698685)
Do you have a picture of these installed? Thanks!

Here you go. It essentially gives you a double seal at the top half of the door. It seals against the cab outboard of the main door seal. On mine, there are some places where the main seal just barely touches the door, so this seal will help keep wind and rain from ever reaching the main seal.