The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Flood Penetrol as a clear coat (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=850185)

Sicklajoie 01-26-2024 04:48 PM

Flood Penetrol as a clear coat

4 Attachment(s)
Thursday night's project with the Bomber was putting some kind of clear coat over the tired old paint.
Super impressed with how Penetrol works.
Makes the paint really pop and works well on the black trim too.

70STOVEBOLT 01-26-2024 05:14 PM

Re: Flood Penetrol as a clear coat

Which pics are before and which are after?

Sicklajoie 01-26-2024 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a before.

RichardJ 01-26-2024 06:01 PM

Wood Paint?
I would expect checking and crowsfeet within weeks. Maybe longer out of the sun.

72c20customcamper 01-26-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardJ (Post 9280300)
Wood Paint?
I would expect checking and crowsfeet within weeks. Maybe longer out of the sun.

Not paint it’s basically linseed and some other additives.

“Penetrol is a product of linseed oil mixed with a few other ingredients. Penetrol is essentially a product of linseed oil, long oil alkyd resin, and Stoddard solvent”

BLO has been used forever to protect outdoor tools

truckster 01-26-2024 06:35 PM

It looks nice.

KQQL IT 01-27-2024 04:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Every 6 months ish.

70STOVEBOLT 01-27-2024 10:15 AM

Does it feel like there is oil on the paint after it’s applied or is it more like wax?

Sicklajoie 01-27-2024 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 9280457)
Does it feel like there is oil on the paint after it’s applied or is it more like wax?

It's definitely oily, you hafta let it cure for 12-24 hours.

un4gvn! 01-28-2024 11:07 AM

I painted houses for the last 40 years. I add this to all my oil base paints to slow down drying time and it helps to flow the paint out. I use it on interior trim and you sware I sprayed it on where I use a quality oil brush. Latex paint you would use Floetrol.

Rust_never_sleeps 01-28-2024 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un4gvn! (Post 9280936)
I painted houses for the last 40 years. I add this to all my oil base paints to slow down drying time and it helps to flow the paint out. I use it on interior trim and you sware I sprayed it on where I use a quality oil brush. Latex paint you would use Floetrol.

I wondered about this, Floetrol is magic.

Would you use Japan dryer to force a complete cure of oils/varnishes, or does that defeat your drying time+flow? I only know of it from woodworking, and maybe it's an antiquated concept

un4gvn! 01-28-2024 07:59 PM

The big problem with using Penetrol right out of the can is it does NOT have uv protection or salt protection. It's not a sealer. It's a paint conditioner. Works great for wood primers as it slows down drying time to allow the primer to penetrate deeper. Works great with oil base paints to allow it to flow out smooth. I used it for years. Still do. Same with Floetrol for water base paint. I have to wonder what the truck will look like in the spring. When the time comes to get a real paint job, will the Penetrol be an extra paint prep step to remove?

KQQL IT 01-28-2024 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un4gvn! (Post 9281082)
The big problem with using Penetrol right out of the can is it does NOT have uv protection or salt protection. It's not a sealer. It's a paint conditioner. Works great for wood primers as it slows down drying time to allow the primer to penetrate deeper. Works great with oil base paints to allow it to flow out smooth. I used it for years. Still do. Same with Floetrol for water base paint. I have to wonder what the truck will look like in the spring. When the time comes to get a real paint job, will the Penetrol be an extra paint prep step to remove?

Mine gets kinda flaky after awhile. Pressure wash scuff and retreat it.
I just washed it, when it's dry I will get a flake pic

Sicklajoie 01-28-2024 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by un4gvn! (Post 9281082)

In no way shape or form is this truck getting another paint job. :lol:

KQQL IT 01-28-2024 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Flaking.
3/4 months in the weather.

Sicklajoie 02-01-2024 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rolled her outside today, pretty happy with the way it turned out.

54blackhornet 02-01-2024 07:56 PM

You can also use Thompson Water Seal.