The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Removing all HVAC from 1972 GMC? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=817100)

Gigem 01-18-2021 01:46 AM

Removing all HVAC from 1972 GMC?

1 Attachment(s)
My 1972 GMC had factory air, but the compressor is gone and I have no desire for HVAC. This is a fair weather only truck, and the simpler the better for me. No heat, no vent, no nothing.

The heater is already bypassed. The AC lines are already cut. As I said, the compressor is gone (was not installed on crate motor when we put it in).

My plan is to basically follow the "take it apart" portion of the instructions from Vintage Air, except I have no intention of draining the radiator.

I'll remove the drier and condenser, the big evaporator and blower thing on the firewall, the heater duct and hoses inside. I'll probably leave the vents and controls there, in case a future owner wants them for a Vintage Air unit.

I think the only thing I'll have to make is a big plate to cover the hole in the firewall. I believe that someone makes one that is super expensive, but I think it has a hole for mounting a blower fan. I will need a complete block off. Any ideas?

Anything else I need to be aware of before I start taking stuff off?

best view 01-18-2021 08:33 AM

Re: Removing all HVAC from 1972 GMC?

Put everything in a box and save it or sell it on here my 2 cents

71meangreenc10 01-18-2021 11:55 AM

Take it all out to include the inside heater case. If you want to block off the heater core/ac you will need to make a plate for the box and one for the heater motor. I do this for the ones I remove. Pretty simple. Get a coffee can lid that fits the circle and trace it out, drill a hole and I use a piece of metal that goes inside the heater motor area and weld a nut to it. Then it secures to itself with a bolt. If you want to put the heater controls back in, no issue, just remove the cables and put it back. I can take a pic if you want.

Smitty

cj847 01-18-2021 11:56 AM

You don't need to leave the passenger vent. Vintage air blocks it off.

The big block off plate is just flat. Just get some 18-20 gage plate and make one. Also need a round pie plate looking piece for the blower motor cover.

Gigem 01-18-2021 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 8866071)
Take it all out to include the inside heater case. If you want to block off the heater core/ac you will need to make a plate for the box and one for the heater motor. I do this for the ones I remove. Pretty simple. Get a coffee can lid that fits the circle and trace it out, drill a hole and I use a piece of metal that goes inside the heater motor area and weld a nut to it. Then it secures to itself with a bolt. If you want to put the heater controls back in, no issue, just remove the cables and put it back. I can take a pic if you want.

Smitty

Thanks! If it's not too much trouble I would like to see a picture of what you did.

Gigem 01-18-2021 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 8865970)
Put everything in a box and save it or sell it on here my 2 cents

That ain't happening. It's coming out in pieces! :waah:

71meangreenc10 01-18-2021 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigem (Post 8866110)
Thanks! If it's not too much trouble I would like to see a picture of what you did.

Will get it in the morning.

Smitty

Rick Bollinger 01-18-2021 11:12 PM

There are only a few bolts holding everything together. The hardest one is on the bottom and you have to remove the wheel well to get to it I believe. Lots of guys out there would love to have those parts.

Gigem 01-19-2021 12:02 AM

All the under hood stuff is done. That one bolt under the fan is a *****, but I got it. Next chance I get to work on it I am headed under the dash. Might pull the seat to make it easier for my big butt to get up in there, I'll see how it goes. The housing was a mess. Probably got busted in the wreck that claimed the right front fender. Held together with duct tape. Garbage.

71meangreenc10 01-19-2021 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I do for mine.

Smitty

Gigem 01-28-2021 10:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ended up ordering the block off plates from the guy who sells them on eBay. His eBay userid is lre_fab_shop. $44 shipped to my door, and they are fantastic. No way I could have done as well. Holes on the AC plate lined up perfect and I mean perfect. Had to drill holes for the blower as there are none on the firewall, but the piece I bought had holes in it. Almost too good for my crappy engine bay.

72 tigger 01-29-2021 07:02 AM

Looks good!