The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2020 deer season (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=814849)

72c20customcamper 11-23-2020 07:03 PM

2020 deer season

2 Attachment(s)
My deer season lasted all of 20 minutes. I was walking to my stand behind my wood pile . And I see two does and then a buck I’m still on the ground so I stand behind the stacked wood sure enough they stop and the doe snorts . I’m all set to fire she must have heard me racking a round . She turns and the buck is straight on to me . Very hard shot about 75 yards so I wait and sure enough he turns his left side to me took the shot he bolted. I watch as he moves to my left and he drops . Get to him and he’s expired. He’s all dressed and tagged in my barn .

I don’t think this violates any forum rules

Steeveedee 11-23-2020 09:06 PM

Re: 2020 deer season

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8839945)
My deer season lasted all of 20 minutes. I was walking to my stand behind my wood pile . And I see two does and then a buck I’m still on the ground so I stand behind the stacked wood sure enough they stop and the doe snorts . I’m all set to fire she must have heard me racking a round . She turns and the buck is straight on to me . Very hard shot about 75 yards so I wait and sure enough he turns his left side to me took the shot he bolted. I watch as he moves to my left and he drops . Get to him and he’s expired. He’s all dressed and tagged in my barn .

I don’t think this violates any forum rules

It only annoys those of us living in tract homes and no land to go out and get some food off of. :lol:

weq92f 11-23-2020 09:14 PM

You must have had that rifle dialed in good. I'm sure skill played a bit of a role too eh.

-klb

Gotenntitans 11-23-2020 09:19 PM

Deer steaks for Thanksgiving! Nice job, Sir.

https://i.ibb.co/MgRbL7m/11-7-20c.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/M1TvtHG/A7-AC4-E56-...40-A312009.jpg

Here’s two of the bucks I’m after down here in south Arkansas. I’ll run into one of these ole boys, then let the other go for next year. Whichever one comes by my stand, though, is going down!

72c20customcamper 11-23-2020 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sited the gun in to 100 yards . Very accurate rifle Remington 30 ought 6

57taskforce 11-23-2020 10:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice. Beautiful deer! I miss hunting white tails so much. I’ve killed a lot of them. Mulies are fun to hunt as are elk, but there’s just something about a cold morning in the stand waiting on the white tails to show up.
I’ve got a Remington 30/06 my self, quite lethal with the ballistic silver tips I shoot.

I shot this guy a few years ago. It’s really a pain in the ass to draw out on hunts here. I miss getting tags from Walmart and having a 6 month season like we did in VA.

LS short box 11-23-2020 10:20 PM

I deer hunt in the MN slug gun zone. I hunt with a group of friends (5). We sit on stands until about 10 AM and then take break for a bit. Then we do small drives of wood lots and cat tail swamps. As I'm one of the "older" guys so I post as the other guys push the woods. We do a really slow drive. Trying to move the deer but not totally spook them into running at warp ten. I shot mine at about 10 yards. Decent 8 point. In the freezer chops and steaks. Trimmings at the local meat market made into hamburger. Local meat markets are not taking whole deer this year just trimmings because of the China virus.

mongocanfly 11-23-2020 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice one...I just got through frying up some fresh backstrap from a 11pt I got with my bow..so so good..
Got 2 big 8pts that I'm still looking for..our season lasts till Feb so I get lots of stand time..
I started out with a .270...then added a 25.06..now my goto is a 6.5 creedmoor.

Ol Blue K20 11-23-2020 10:38 PM

Awesome!! Smoked back strap for Thanksgiving! Congratulations on a great shot.

72 tigger 11-23-2020 10:40 PM

Nice deer guys

Steeveedee 11-23-2020 11:15 PM

Closest I've ever gotten to shooting deer was many years ago when I was training an (adult) range officer class and three mule deer walked through the range while we were shooting. This was in the Santa Monica mountains. Boy Scouts shoot at 50 feet, and these deer were 30 feet away, tops. I could have dropped one with my .357, which was in the trunk of my car, but I had no license, either. I had to call a "cease fire". :lol:

'63GENIII 11-23-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8839998)
It only annoys those of us living in tract homes and no land to go out and get some food off of. :lol:

^^^This

I did have a pretty big 8 pt standing a foot or so outside the open garage door a couple of months ago. He was so still that I didn't see him when I came out from the kitchen. I just heard his breathing when I zeroed in on him...

Nearly gave me a heart attack.

I think he was just coming by to let me know that he'd picked a couple of tomatoes before I got to them! :lol:

Some deer sausage, fried back strap a little biscuits and gravy sounds great!

68bowtie 11-23-2020 11:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here’s my 2020 buck. 18” 3x3 blacktail. 5-day backpacking trip. I go every year with a couple friends. Every 4-5 years we get out of state because CA is tough to hunt. I shoot a sako 25-06, it’s fast, flat, and consistent.

Attachment 2062834

Attachment 2062836

Ol Blue K20 11-23-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '63GENIII (Post 8840077)
^^^This

I did have a pretty big 8 pt standing a foot or so outside the open garage door a couple of months ago. He was so still that I didn't see him when I came out from the kitchen. I just heard his breathing when I zeroed in on him...

Nearly gave me a heart attack.

I think he was just coming by to let me know that he'd picked a couple of tomatoes before I got to them! :lol:

Some deer sausage, fried back strap a little biscuits and gravy sounds great!

Dude you're making me hungry....

weq92f 11-23-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8840010)
Sited the gun in to 100 yards . Very accurate rifle Remington 30 ought 6

:metal:

-klb

1976gmc20 11-24-2020 12:02 AM

I had to chase a doe and a fawn out of our barn this evening so I could shut up and feed the horses :lol:

We bought a bunch of grain fed beef from our neighbor so we don't really need any venison, especially considering the CWD going around. A doe turned up dead in our pasture a month or two ago.

I could easily get a deer on the 20 acres that I bought next door because there is a main trail down through there. The deer and the turkeys around here are getting where there not even hardly "wild" anymore :rolleyes:

If you live in town, maybe you should leave some grain in the garage and then watch and punch the button on the garage door opener and lock them in :lol: :devil:

72c20customcamper 11-24-2020 08:56 AM

Lots of nice deer guys . I saw another buck this morning about the same size but I have no more tags . My son is coming up tonight to hunt first thing tomorrow. Hope he gets one too

67C10Step 11-24-2020 10:33 AM

Great deer and photos my friends!

I've been out two mornings thus far. Saw five does and a small buck first morning and the second morning I either saw 2-3 bucks or the same buck 3 times. So foggy I couldn't make out the horns well at 100-110 yards, even with my binoculars. If I can't completely identify the target then there is no shot taken.

I may be back in the stand this weekend if everything works out. I've hunted 80 acres of private ground for the past 20 years but that is about to change. It is now up for sale since my father in law passed away in August and it's going to be sad when I leave there for the last time.

Dead Parrot 11-24-2020 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shot this guy during muzzle loader season. He was in full rut mode but the does wanted nothing to do with him and keep running off. He ran by three or four times in a hour seeing if the does came back before pausing a few seconds a hundred yards out. Good timing. The great OK ice storm rolled in the next morning earlier then forecast. Net yield of meat was about 80 lbs. Filled up the empty space in my freezer. He had 5 points on one side but only 3 on the other even though the main horns were pretty even. No sign of breakage, they just grew that way.

Was out this morning trying to shoot one for a friend during the OK gun season. A buck came by early but it was still too dim to tell if he was worth shooting. My normal herd of does was missing and may still be in hiding from rutting bucks.

cwcarpenter98 11-24-2020 11:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got my first deer this season. It was a smaller doe, but still good eatin'.

I camped out the night before at the hunting camp my dad and I are in. Didn't shoot this one until 10:40, but the wait was worth it.

Deer blood doesn't hurt bed wood :metal:

Gotenntitans 11-24-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8840234)
I got my first deer this season. It was a smaller doe, but still good eatin'.

I camped out the night before at the hunting camp my dad and I are in. Didn't shoot this one until 10:40, but the wait was worth it.

Deer blood doesn't hurt bed wood :metal:

Deer hunting is a special time and takes skill. It is always worth it when you harvest one after doing it the right way.

You’re correct, blood doesn’t hurt bed wood......but it rusted the trunk out of a ‘65 GTO convertible that my uncle used to own. He and my dad did lots of night hunting, the wrong way, but never got caught by the game wardens & authorities. I think they were pretty much like Bo & Luke Duke back in the 1960s around here.

Dad is 79 and Unc is 77. Neither has killed a deer in at least 10 years, but they both enjoy going and enjoying the outdoors. They do have some stories.

Keep doing it the right way; there’s much more satisfaction and respect in it.

LS short box 11-24-2020 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here' a pic of the buck I shot a couple of years ago. I hunt out of a ground blind in the mornings. The wind was perfect. He had his nose down to the ground looking for a doe. Shot him at 30 yards. Older buck I'm thinking on the down ward side.
I also hunt with my brother in central some what north Montana. Not this year due to the China virus. Out there I shoot a 7MM. It's a bit flatter shooting than a .06. Sight it in at 3" high at 100 yards. Right on at 300 yards.

'63GENIII 11-24-2020 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 8840085)
Here’s my 2020 buck. 18” 3x3 blacktail. 5-day backpacking trip. I go every year with a couple friends. Every 4-5 years we get out of state because CA is tough to hunt. I shoot a sako 25-06, it’s fast, flat, and consistent.

Where about is that Bowtie? Looks coastal. Black tail? Is that the one they call "the ghost from the coast"?

Attachment 2062834

Attachment 2062836

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8840086)
Dude you're making me hungry....

I dated a girl a ways back in my early 20s. Used to stay at her folks house once in a while out in Stockton. Separate rooms of course...her step dad was a hunter!

I loved hanging out with her folks though. Mom would get up, put coffee on for the day (that pot was never empty), and several times cooked up the best fried Elk backstrap, some deer sausage that was mixed into the gravy for the home made biscuits. Scrambled eggs and potatoes (not from a bag either :lol:).

When we broke up (I mean she broke up with me), I asked in all sincerity if it meant that I couldn't hang out with her folks anymore :lol:.

She was so angry that she kicked me out on 8 mile rd (?). I took that as a solid "no":lol:

Thats what I was thinking about while you were craving breakfast :lol:.

Man I haven't thought about that in a long time!

cwcarpenter98 11-25-2020 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 8840435)
Deer hunting is a special time and takes skill. It is always worth it when you harvest one after doing it the right way.

You’re correct, blood doesn’t hurt bed wood......but it rusted the trunk out of a ‘65 GTO convertible that my uncle used to own. He and my dad did lots of night hunting, the wrong way, but never got caught by the game wardens & authorities. I think they were pretty much like Bo & Luke Duke back in the 1960s around here.

Dad is 79 and Unc is 77. Neither has killed a deer in at least 10 years, but they both enjoy going and enjoying the outdoors. They do have some stories.

Keep doing it the right way; there’s much more satisfaction and respect in it.

That's funny you mention the Duke boys as I've recently been watching the show from the first episode onward. I'm in the middle of season 2 at the moment :lol:
I enjoyed doing it the right way. Having a clean shot was a plus as well because I got a decent amount of meat even though it was a smaller deer. Once finals week is over, I'll be out hunting a buck!

richard2717 11-25-2020 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:lol::lol: deer season for most in 2020