The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

3757chevy 11-06-2018 11:27 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

1 Attachment(s)
It was yesterday , but I drove to Rocky Mountain Forest Products and picked up my special ordered 1"x8"x8' beetle kill pine. It came in to the yard in 5 16' boards and so they cut them down to 10 8'ers so I could haul'em home.

Steeveedee 11-06-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 8379301)
It was yesterday , but I drove to Rocky Mountain Forest Products an picked up my special ordered 1"x8"x8' beetle kill pine. It came in to the yard in 5 16' boards and so they cut them down to 10 8'ers so I could haul'em home.

The beetle kill pine has some interesting colors and holes from the bugs, but for my money the beetles oughta be killed outright. ;)

samkost 11-07-2018 12:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I copied member OregonNed and replaced the battery terminals that the resto shop from Hell :devil: had ruined when I got my truck out of jail :lol:
Their shoddy work has me checking off a long list of items to correct, repair, and replace.
All is good now...moving on and feeling better that I am fixing things myself.:metal:

kcmarkd 11-07-2018 06:26 AM

Took apart the Rochester 2 barrel so it can take a bubble bath then get rebuilt.

OregonNed 11-07-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 8379347)
I copied member OregonNed and replaced the battery terminals that the resto shop from Hell :devil: had ruined when I got my truck out of jail :lol:
Their shoddy work has me checking off a long list of items to correct, repair, and replace.
All is good now...moving on and feeling better that I am fixing things myself.:metal:

looks good brother!

tino0217 11-07-2018 04:26 PM

i realigned my driver side door on my 71 C-10. results are pleasing and the door closes 80% better but i'm still getting a draft in the upper portion so i think it's time to replace the weather strip

tommy3horse 11-07-2018 04:48 PM

Hi, i replaced the original Delco starter with a GM mini starter from DB Electrical a week or so ago. It crapped out after 5 days. I contacted DB and they replaced it right away. Sounds great now, hope I get more than 5 starts. DB’s service is first class, no tech assistance tho.
Tom

72c20customcamper 11-07-2018 05:01 PM

New antenna installed.

Colt_1911 11-07-2018 05:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New rotors, 2.5" drop spindles, lowering shocks, lowering springs, brake pads and new ball joints.

Mts67C10K20 11-08-2018 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finaly freed up some time to work on the new motor for the 67
Crank and pistons installed now back in the bag till next time

72c20customcamper 11-08-2018 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Played with a cnc plasma cutter today that a friend just bought. Made a plate to install a stock radio in my truck. Used a piece of scrap stainless

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-08-2018 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some progress and learning a lot. I'm slow on things first time out, but I did manage to get this done over the last few days. Nice when you have the parts. 4" drop.

Ask me about torque on leaf spring suspension.......I can give you a lengthy unspecific answer, but close;) Go figure, you can buy replacement saddles and plates after all. Can't speak for their quality, mine were still good.

samkost 11-09-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8380311)
Played with a cnc plasma cutter today that a friend just bought. Made a plate to install a stock radio in my truck. Used a piece of scrap stainless

Excellent work on that radio face plate :metal:
How do you plan to attach it to your cut radio opening?

My dash was also unfortunately cut for a newer stereo by the previous owner.
That plate, color matched hugger orange and I would be good to go!

I think there would be a lot of interest from people with cut original dashes....just saying ;)

Good job.
Sam

Grumpy old man 11-09-2018 07:42 AM

5 Attachment(s)
It must be frame / suspension assembly week ?

4" drop springs
all new brakes ,lines ,cables
cross member cut/tubed for tucked exhaust with new trailing arm bushings
Complete new front suspension cross member /all new Moog parts with drop spindles and springs , disc / power steering conversion ,factory front sway bar 9/16 U bolt upgrade ,all new grade 8 hardware . My 350 is ready to drop back in again . I'll be building a set of these rear shock re locators today to see how they work out .:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=763851

70STOVEBOLT 11-09-2018 09:08 AM

It's actually suspension disassembly week for me. Removed both front spindles for disc conversion and tore both ball joint boots on the right side, then discovered that the upper cross shaft bushings were worn, so next up is removing the upper control arms and replacing the bushings. Yay!

72c20customcamper 11-09-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 8380669)

I think there would be a lot of interest from people with cut original dashes....just saying ;)

Good job.
Sam

Plan to use 4 small ss screws Chamfering the holes and using flathead Philips . Maybe a dab or two of epoxy for insurance.

Grumpy old man 11-09-2018 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 8380766)
It's actually suspension disassembly week for me. Removed both front spindles for disc conversion and tore both ball joint boots on the right side, then discovered that the upper cross shaft bushings were worn, so next up is removing the upper control arms and replacing the bushings. Yay!

While your there replace it all .:lol:

74baggedbug 11-09-2018 11:43 AM

Getting it ready for autorama in a couple of weeks

OregonNed 11-09-2018 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 8380669)

Good job.
Sam

For sure..

kcmarkd 11-09-2018 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For me it was carb-disassembly-week. Blew it apart and started the cleaning, rebuild process. Replacement parts arrived today, so tomorrow will be to reassemble carb, attach new choke components, install and test.

Attachment 1836927

C4UC101969 11-09-2018 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I stained my truck bed few days ago, its wood that came off a tear down barn so it was a real dull grey weathered color, so I thought i would make it a bit less dull and protect it as well as I really like the real old barn wood.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-09-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8380727)
It must be frame / suspension assembly week ?

4" drop springs
all new brakes ,lines ,cables
cross member cut/tubed for tucked exhaust with new trailing arm bushings
Complete new front suspension cross member /all new Moog parts with drop spindles and springs , disc / power steering conversion ,factory front sway bar 9/16 U bolt upgrade ,all new grade 8 hardware . My 350 is ready to drop back in again . I'll be building a set of these rear shock re locators today to see how they work out .:chevy:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=763851

I just ordered a bunch of parts so I can "catch-up". Nice work Grumps. You didn't replace your control arms did you? And if I can ask, where do your buy your rubbers to slip over shafts and that, on original hardware linkage, arms too?

Grumpy old man 11-09-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8381051)
I just ordered a bunch of parts so I can "catch-up". Nice work Grumps. You didn't replace your control arms did you? And if I can ask, where do your buy your rubbers to slip over shafts and that, on original hardware linkage, arms too?

The original front cross member had some pitting on the upper control arm plate and I have a long bed parts truck that was much cleaner ,So I pulled the front member complete off the parts truck and stripped it down and bought all new parts to rebuild it . Upper and lower Moog control arm shaft kits , upper and lower Moog ball joints , inner and outer Moog tie rod ends / connectors, Moog pitman arm for power steering and Moog idler arm . Rock auto had the best price on all of it at one time and done . I thought about just replacing the shaft boots but it's apart and it was only a few hundred more to replace it all .:lol:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 11-09-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8381106)
The original front cross member had some pitting on the upper control arm plate and I have a long bed parts truck that was much cleaner ,So I pulled the front member complete off the parts truck and stripped it down and bought all new parts to rebuild it . Upper and lower Moog control arm shaft kits , upper and lower Moog ball joints , inner and outer Moog tie rod ends / connectors, Moog pitman arm for power steering and Moog idler arm . Rock auto had the best price on all of it at one time and done . I thought about just replacing the shaft boots but it's apart and it was only a few hundred more to replace it all .:lol:

Thanks Grumpy. I ordered Moog parts as well, through Summit.

rjs53 11-10-2018 12:25 AM

Got the bed back together, had the bed on kinda lose when I realized there is no way to get to the back bolt unless I drop the fuel tank. With the bed on theres no way to get to the nuts when placing the fuel tank. Welded the nuts in place, then got the bed where I want it and tightened down, then was able to put the tank back on. Always a learning experience.