The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does running a benchseat without headrests worry anybody else? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=465939)

Sicklajoie 02-17-2014 12:26 PM

Re: Does running a benchseat without headrests worry anybody else?

I think about it but don't worry about it.

haminator 02-17-2014 12:37 PM

The 59 video I believe is basically rigged. As for the new cars crumbling when hitting our trucks? Think again. These trucks fold up pretty bed. That said, no head rest for me and I don't wear seat belts often. I agree that they are more often safer but it is my right.

burnin oil 02-17-2014 12:45 PM

I agree they fold up but they are not designed to fall apart like a newer car. New rides are designed to drop the engine craddle and kick it down. One of my pet peaves is the crash test. Sure alot of crashes are at lower speeds and that is what designers design for. That ever elusive crash test rating. I can take some whiplash for something that holds up better at higher speeds. I am more worried about crashes at high speed vs the parking lot. The ones that really get me are the prius, fiat, smart cars. Unless they have have a giant air cushion that surronds the vehicle upon impact there is no way you will convince me that they are as safe as a honda. That govt rating system is decieving.

haminator 02-17-2014 01:42 PM

I think all these ratings and such are just products brought forth from lawsuits over the years. While manufactures should be held accountable to some extent, so should individuals. These are after all machines. When a horse freaks out and throws you off and stomps your head in we don't sue the horse right? You can wear a helmet that might help. The point is, its your choice. You want a head rest? Put it in. You want a colapsable column? Fine. You want air bags? Great, get a car with air bags. Its all out there and up to you (so far). Accidents will still happen and people will still be injured or killed. Go with what YOU feel is the best for YOU.

hamjet 02-17-2014 01:43 PM

Alot of good info and what ifs here. to me it comes down to this, yes theres alot you can do to make it more safe in our trucks. But when it comes down to it to me its all "chance", you drive home in your well protected truck or car, decide its a nice day for a motorcycle ride and stop at the same intersection you were just at in your safe vehicle and get rear ended. or you just left the hardware store with 20, 10 foot lengths of 1 1/4 inch black pipe in your truck with all the latest and greatest safety gadgets and someone cuts into your lane and hits you head on... all that pipe is going through the box, gastank, and you..STUFF HAPPENS, most you can prevent but not all. Boy, after reading my "what ifs" I think I'm going to lock myself in my bedroom and pull the covers over my head, see you guys later...

haminator 02-17-2014 01:49 PM

Heck, hop in your ol truck and go for drive and enjoy life. (weather permitting) Life is way too short to worry much about it.

texjake 04-15-2014 02:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can never be too careful on the highways. My dad took this photo in 1956 of a Chevy Bel-Air that was hit by a semi-truck between Carlsbad, NM & El Paso, Texas.

19673ontree 04-15-2014 06:14 AM

Worry about seatbelts : NOPE
worry about seat : NOPE
worry about gas tank behind seat : Nope

special-K 04-15-2014 09:48 PM

The best safety device ever made is defensive driving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by texjake (Post 6629429)
You can never be too careful on the highways. My dad took this photo in 1956 of a Chevy Bel-Air that was hit by a semi-truck between Carlsbad, NM & El Paso, Texas.

Don't think head rests would have helped.